slow down software

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
okewhistle

slow down software

Post by okewhistle »

Does anyone know how to slow down an MP3 file or similar without changing the pitch? I would really like to start slow and build up speed but don't know how.
vomitbunny
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by vomitbunny »

I've got a plug in for winamp called the amazing slow downer. Try doing a search for that. They quality of sound isn't great when you use it, but it more than sufficient to learn a tune with.
My opinion is stupid and wrong.
michael_coleman
Tell us something.: I play the first flute Jon Cochran ever made but haven't been very active on the board the last 9-10 years. Life happens I guess...I owned a keyed M&E flute for a while and I kind of miss it.

Post by michael_coleman »

Audacity is a free alternative to the amazing slow downer.

Audacity can be downloaded at:

http://audacity.sourceforge.net

Versions are available for Windows, Linux, and the Mac.

Also, I found that my DVD player (on my computer) also had the option of slowing down mp3 files and changing the pitch. Maybe you already have the software and you don't even know it.
lixnaw
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by lixnaw »

what the boys said, maybe try out the free trails first: http://www.ronimusic.com/
http://www.seventhstring.com/
RonKiley

Post by RonKiley »

I have been using SlowDowner from Roni. When I try to slow something with Audacity it becomes unstable and Jumps back and forth at a fairly fast rate. If anyone knows why it does this please clue me in.

Ron
I've never met a whistle I didn't want.
eskin

Post by eskin »

Many of here in the SoCal Pipers Club use and recommend Transcribe! by Seventh String Software:

http://www.seventhstring.com

and a one page summary sheet of its features:

http://www.seventhstring.com/xscribe/Tr ... eFlyer.pdf

You can record from within the app or use .mp3 or .wav files already on your system, set markers in the waveform while its playing, change pitch and speed independently in realtime, loop on sections in the file, export transposed files as .wav files, etc. Pretty much everything you need to take that old recording of Leo Rowsome in C#, transpose it to D, slow it down to 50% speed to hear the ornaments, then export the slowed down transposed file to a 44.1 KHz stereo 16-bit wave file that you can then write directly to an audio CD for sharing with your piping club... :-) Not sure what a particular note is, just drag over the note and the program does an FFT and shows you a pitch distribution superimposed over a piano keyboard. Great stuff.

Both Mac and Windows trial versions available. I've been using it for years.
Last edited by eskin on Sat Feb 12, 2005 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
morgan

Post by morgan »

I downloaded Audacity and it has any number of interesting features (reverb, etc) but for the life of me I cannot find the slower downer part of it.

I have the 1.0 version for Mac OS 9.

Any insight?
Jon-M

Post by Jon-M »

Windows Media Player will let you slow tunes down as much 50% and it's free.
Good luck,
Jon
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

morgan wrote:I downloaded Audacity and it has any number of interesting features (reverb, etc) but for the life of me I cannot find the slower downer part of it.

I have the 1.0 version for Mac OS 9.

Any insight?
Audacity is up to version 1.2.3. There have been substantial changes since 1.0, you should download the new version.

That said, in 1.2.3 to change tempo without affecting pitch, select all or part of the waveform, and choose "effects" then "change tempo". You can also do "effects" then "change speed" which changes both speed and pitch.

Another interesting option is "change pitch" which changes the pitch without affecting speed; for instance, you can drop normally pitched recording down a whole step to play a C whistle with it if you'd like.

--James
dapple

Post by dapple »

Very cool, Jon-M. I hadn't even noticed the slow down feature on Media Player. Thank you.
~ David
eskin

Post by eskin »

Hmm... must be only on XP with WMP 10? I can't find this on WMP 9 on Win2K...
dapple

Post by dapple »

You might be right, Michael. I do have XP with WMP 10, and WMP 10 has a Play Speed option in the Play drop-down menu.
~ David
Tom Dowling
Tell us something.: Well, I've been a contributor and visitor to this site since 2001. At one time or another, one of my photographs was the opening page photograph. My teacher was Bill Ochs. I play the Penny Whistle. Not a lot else to say.

AMEN ON THE SEVENTH STRING TRANSCRIBE PRODUCT

Post by Tom Dowling »

I've been using the aforementioned TRANSCRIBE from 7th String for a few years and think highly of it as well.

For what it's worth,

Tom D.
oscartherabbit

Post by oscartherabbit »

Thanks Jon-M for that pointer - I'd not realised WMP could control the playback speed.
eskin wrote:Hmm... must be only on XP with WMP 10? I can't find this on WMP 9 on Win2K...
Perhaps it's just an XP thing? There's a speed control option in my WMP 9 on XP Pro (View - Enhancements - Play Speed Settings) - will have to wait until I get home tonight to check W2K though.
You don't stop playing when you get old. You get old when you stop playing.
oscartherabbit

Post by oscartherabbit »

Following on from the above; I've done a bit of googling and found that the playback speed control is only available in WMP 9+ when it is running under XP. :-?

For those of you using WinAmp, there is a plugin called PaceMakerwhich can control pitch and speed independantly.
You don't stop playing when you get old. You get old when you stop playing.