Shopping for pipes: Koehler and Quinn

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
myrddinemrys
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Something something Something something Something something Something something Something something Something something Something something Something something.

Shopping for pipes: Koehler and Quinn

Post by myrddinemrys »

Anyone have a set from Koehler and Quinn that has pics, and preferably sound clips. I'm really curious as to their sound, as I have not been able to track down any clips of them on the net. thanks in advance.
MikeyLikesIt

Post by MikeyLikesIt »

Check out Pat D'Arcy's brand spankin new K&Q pipes at his site: http://www.uilleannobsession.com. They are truly drool worthy. I had to keep a mop in my room for a week after he posted those pics.

-Mike
dirk
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by dirk »

Brian MacNamara recorded his recent CD, "Fort of the Jewels" partly with a K&Q set. His web site has both pictures of all the sets he owns and sound clips as well.

http://www.piperbrian.com/sounds/sound_samples.html
http://www.piperbrian.com/my_pipes.html

All The Best,

-Dirk
(I'm a piper, your a piper, he's a piper, she's a piper...)
myrddinemrys
Tell us something.: Something something Something something Something something Something something Something something Something something Something something Something something.

Post by myrddinemrys »

thanks guys. Yeah, I forgot about that new set he got . . . the one he set on the kitchen floor to take pics. :boggle:
ausdag

Post by ausdag »

I wouldn't put too much faith in sound clips - not meaning to deride the quality of K&Q pipes; I hear they are top notch. But sound files will only really allow you to appreciate the intonation of the set. The tone can be altered and depends alot on how it was recorded in the first place.
David (ausdag) Goldsworthy
http://ozuilleann.weebly.com/
L42B

Post by L42B »

Koaler and Quinn have an excellent reputation (worth their weight in gold). Unfortunatly the K&Q books are closed for the time being. If your interested in enquiring about a second hand set. Most pipers keep a waiting list for such instruments. Maybe it might be an idea to contact David Quinn about this.

Edited in:

I'll second Ausdag on the sound clips. I've recorded sounds clips playing on my GHB's a few times. With some trickey positioning of mikes well placed echo affects etc. You can change the sound of the pipes completely. Although sounds samples do give you a rough idea of how a set sounds. To really experience a nice set you have to hear it (and see it being played) up close and in person.

Cheers L42B :)
irishpiper
Tell us something.: uyguyguyguygug;skdjvlsa fvla bnsldcv nasnc:sodv jcpoaenvpiseripsertnvpa epaoeunvasuepv; auenr;usaenrviusanrvueapr;gvoajneproivea[orivjae['oirvjnae['oirvnae'oirvnas'[oirvn'[aenv'[saepoirnv['soeirnv['sonv[oeirvn['oeirnv['oisenrv['oisernjv['oisenv[oiserntv[oisenjv[oisrjtb[oisrtj[bsirpotbosirnboisemfvo[sierfvmseoiv

Post by irishpiper »

[quote="L42B"]Koaler and Quinn have an excellent reputation (worth their weight in gold). I think you mean Koehler and Quinn....
myrddinemrys

Post by myrddinemrys »

ausdag wrote:I wouldn't put too much faith in sound clips - not meaning to deride the quality of K&Q pipes; I hear they are top notch. But sound files will only really allow you to appreciate the intonation of the set. The tone can be altered and depends alot on how it was recorded in the first place.
Well, I know that. I can't exactly fly to Germany to see Andreas Rogge, then up to the UK to visit their plethora of pipemakers, then across to Canada to see O'Grady's pipes, and maybe stop into Vermont on my way home to Ohio to see Mr. Quinn if I haven't wearied myself of shopping.
ausdag

Post by ausdag »

That's why you do what everybody else does who can't see a set first hand and go by word of mouth. Oh the good ol' days when all my shopping for pipes was done by pen, paper and airmail. Got a few letters from Davey Spillane in the process, but friends told me Eugene Lambe was the man then for the type of drones I was after.
David (ausdag) Goldsworthy
http://ozuilleann.weebly.com/
AlanB
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by AlanB »

about sound clips. I think they are a great idea. Patrick D'Arcy showed this when he posted the s/clip of his Rogge chanter for sale. From the clip, it showed that the chanter was well in tune and that the reed responded well between 8ves and with certain difficult patterns of finger movements. Not just a quick run up the scale so you don't notice how the back d breaks and the high e sounds crap and the higha + b are well sharp etc., which is often the case.
then up to the UK to visit their plethora of pipemakers

Plethora?? Heh!! there are only 5 1/2!!! (teh J/k!! W00t!!)

Alan
Jim McGuire

Post by Jim McGuire »

Tionols in the US usually have a nice variety of pipes around. Also, David Quinn and other makers get to a fair share of those events, too. First hand experience is important when so much is being invested.
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

There's a David Quinn half set for sale on Ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 18060&rd=1

The price is currently at $1,200. Check the posting on this forum regarding it. I asked a few questions and a few people gave their views. It looks like a good deal, if you're looking for a half set.
upiper71

K&Q 1/2 set

Post by upiper71 »

PJ,

You should throw a bid in for those pipes..that is a real steal since they are in short supply.

upiper71

P.S. I've fired off that reed to you today! :)
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

upiper71 - If I had the $$ I certainly would. But I've already ordered by Whitmer drones and I'm financially embarassed.

Besides, I can only play one set at a time and I'm morally opposed to hoarding good instruments. I hope whoever buys them gives them a good home, plays them a lot and takes good care of them.
myrddinemrys

Post by myrddinemrys »

Jim McGuire wrote:Tionols in the US usually have a nice variety of pipes around. Also, David Quinn and other makers get to a fair share of those events, too. First hand experience is important when so much is being invested.
true. Then I have to think of the investment it costs to get to one. :wink: Ahh, the neverending cycle.