How do I increase...

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
jonharl
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

How do I increase...

Post by jonharl »

lung capacity? Lately I've been gassing out early on the tunes I'm practicing. My lungs need more muscle. Any hints on increasing lung capacity and/or breath control?

Thanks,
Jon
alespa
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Music has been a part of my life for as long as I can remember. Part of what I love about celtic/folk style music is the sound of a handful of handmade instruments that remind me of simpler times.

Post by alespa »

Start jogging. Seriously. I was running around the house today playing chase with the dogs, when I realized how out of breath I was. I think a little cardio activity would help me. Just thought I'd mention it. :wink:
There's no such thing as a stranger, just friends we have not yet met.
slowair

Post by slowair »

If you sit, sit up straight.

Stand if possible.

Don't drink or eat before or during. Maybe just some water. Sorry beer drinkers, but if you think about it, a full stomach is taking away from lung capacity. That includes carbonated beverages. :o)

Hope that helps.
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

Do some google searching for "yoga breathing". There are tons of sites which explain this: find a simple one that you like. This type of breathing is very useful to learn.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

Hi Jon. As PAul said, Pranayama, or rhythmic breath control, can be very helpful. I practice it often before physical yoga workouts. I think it falls short however of "curing" asthma and other conditions.

Are you taking advantage of all the places you can breathe within the tunes?

Good luck.

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

I agree with the people suggesting exercise. Another thing to try, which may be along the lines of the yoga suggestions, is just concentrate on breathing from the diaphragm. One exercise I was taught is, stretch up with your arms, let your hands grasp each other, exhale till you can't exhale anymore, then a few seconds longer. Then relax. He talks not about taking a breath, but just allowing air into your lungs.

One thing I don't think anybody's mentioned is, if you're running out of breath, you're not breathing often enough! Don't be embarrassed about your phrases being short, be embarrassed about running out of air. You can always find another breathing spot; use it. My flute teacher once played me a piece by Micho Russell in which he breathed at least 7 times in a single A part of a reel. It sounded just fine.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Phil Hardy

Breath.

Post by Phil Hardy »

I'm with Paul on this one,yogic breathing is a great way frorward and you'll get more out of life to.
It's all in the diaphram especially on lower whistles.
Phil.
RonKiley

Post by RonKiley »

OK, I will be the sour note here. Walking, running, stairmaster are all good cardio workout routines. However, you might consider a checkup with a cardiologist. Getting out of breath is one symptom of cardiac problems. Cardiac events are not always accompanied by pain. This is the voice of experience talking. My first hint was when I picked up my grandson and got out of breath for several minutes. By the time I had a stress test the damage was done.

I hope no one has these problems. I now play to improve my lung capacity.

Ron
I've never met a whistle I didn't want.
Koss

Post by Koss »

Hi !
I play the trombone for over 20 years now, and I learned to breath by
- lying on the floor while the teacher sitting on my belly

You have to breath with your lungs - not with your belly ...that's the trick !!
jonharl

Post by jonharl »

This is alot of good advice. I'm going to do some "yoga breathing" searches tonight. Thanks guys!
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

Notwithstanding the medical advice, and depending on your budget, you could also try one of these:

http://www.powerlung.com/
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

Consider working on breath support rather than lung volume. Is this for whistle, Jon? If so what breath-sucking monster are you playing? :)
/Bloomfield
AngeloMeola
Tell us something.: I haven't been active on the site for years. I'm busy raising grandkids so I don't get out to play much.

Post by AngeloMeola »

I got a Jubilee practice low D a while back and trying to play it really increased my lung capacity. (This was before the redesign that lowered the wind requirement.) I had to glue some toothpicks into the windway or I had a hard time with even playing a few bars.

After a couple of weeks of using it, I was able to play the entire A or B part of many jigs on a single breath without straining.
Angelo
Eat well, drink well, laugh loud and often.
michael_coleman
Tell us something.: I play the first flute Jon Cochran ever made but haven't been very active on the board the last 9-10 years. Life happens I guess...I owned a keyed M&E flute for a while and I kind of miss it.

Re: How do I increase...

Post by michael_coleman »

jonharl wrote:lung capacity? Lately I've been gassing out early on the tunes I'm practicing. My lungs need more muscle. Any hints on increasing lung capacity and/or breath control?

Thanks,
Jon
Are you sick? Are you playing a new whistle? I find that both of these factors can really contribute to variations in lung capacity...
jonharl

Post by jonharl »

Bloomie, I am back to playing whistles along with my hour plus a day harmonica habit. I've ordered a new Humphrey Narrow Bore, but currently I'm playing a Gen or a Clare. With all the comments, I don't think I'm taking enough breaths, couple that with a little congestion and I'm gassing out. :( I'm thinking I need to sleuth out the tunes I'm playing by an accomplished player and try to ascertain where they breath. I'm just starting the Madfortrad Tutorial and that should help, to be able to watch Brian Finnegan play has an advantage. I think the main thing is I'm used to breathing through the harmonica, mostly drawing in, where you almost burst. In that instance you release air on a blow note or off the side as the passage permits. And you've got a lot more distance before you have to take a breath.