Unique Opportunity to acquire pipes

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
glands
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Unique Opportunity to acquire pipes

Post by glands »

Every man has his limits....limits that require or force him to do something that he knows he will probably regret but must do anyways as there is perhaps a greater good.....perhaps.

FOR SALE: Chanter NOT included! Koehler and Quinn D set. Bellows; bag and bag cover; connecting blowpipes, mainstock and drones all of delrin with composite reeds; tenor and baritone regulators of ebony with phosphor bronze reeds. Basically, this is a 3/4 set WITHOUT a chanter. Many of you know this set and some of you have even played it. It is a lovely set of pipes. The bronze reg reeds are quite stable. I have not ever had to do anything with the drones as they are rock steady being of materials that are little if at all affected by climatological phenomena. Check out and search at UilleannObsession.com to see photos of the set.

I am asking $7250. U pay estimated s/h/insurance. I will not plan to ship until I have a cashiers check in hand.

Contact me at glands@comcast.net. In the event that several parties are interested I'll use the time of your reply to determine who earns right of refusal. There is already one considering the purchase so get in line if seriously interested. I retain the right to refuse to sell to persnickety folks who remain uncommitted, mean people, etc. I am, of course, interested in the funds, but at the same time I want this set to go to a good home.

Lewis
Last edited by glands on Thu Feb 10, 2005 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
djm

Post by djm »

Glands, sorry for your trouble. Isn't there any resale value on the perpetrator? I would have started there before ever considering selling the pipes. :D
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
glands

Post by glands »

They are great pipes.
Last edited by glands on Thu Feb 10, 2005 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul Reid
antispam: No

Post by Paul Reid »

Things were easier when I worked for someone else and I did my own tax returns! :-)
Last edited by Paul Reid on Tue Feb 08, 2005 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PR

c[]|________||___o__o__O___o__O__º__º__||_]
      \\
anima

Post by anima »

<<a new garage door valued at over $2000 and cause what will surely be a couple thousand dollars of damage to the new vehicle. We most definitely do not want insurance to pay for the auto due to what it will do to the premiums....to pay for it now is the cheapest option.>>

Jaysus, what the hell insurance do you have if you'd rather pay thousands of dollars than report it. sounds like you need a new company doc......
snoogie

Post by snoogie »

Oh my! Jay-sus...that's terrible...but at least no one was physically hurt. Although it probably didn't do your blood pressure much good!

My darling wife did something similar a few years ago..but fortunately, the car was our own, paid for and except for a bit of paint off the back...undamaged.

The garage door was split at the bottom, and required a board to brace it...and I thought repair it. However, I just noticed the other day that the board has worked loose and now the runner wheels are bent (not sure if this is damage I never noticed from the original accident or something else.

How my wife could back the car up (in a closed garage) and not look back is frightening enough in itself...at least yours has the excuse of the emergency release cord.

Slan.
Gary
PJ
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

A funny story (sorry but it is funny) with a sad ending (having to sell the pipes - damn that hurts). At least no one was (physically) injured. Although I suspect you won't be able to look at your garage door or at any passing Land Rovers for a long time without hearing a slow air beautifully played on a fine set of pipes.

Why is the chanter not included in the sale?
Mark Byrne

Post by Mark Byrne »

Am I on my own in thinking that $7250 is outrageous money for a delrin set of drones with 2 ebony regulators.
I'll take my hat off to you if you can manage to convince someone to pay this price.
No E

Post by No E »

Mark Byrne wrote:Am I on my own in thinking that $7250 is outrageous money for a delrin set of drones with 2 ebony regulators.
I'll take my hat off to you if you can manage to convince someone to pay this price.
Yes, you're on your own. Anyone who has seen/heard/played this set thinks $7250 is a bargain. The written description doesn't do them justice.

No E.
glands

Post by glands »

Am I on my own in thinking that $7250 is outrageous money for a delrin set of drones with 2 ebony regulators.
Perhaps you do not know K&Q pipes..... or even this particular set. Kevin Rowsome once said this set was one of the best in D he had ever played. Brian McNamara believes it to be the best in D he has played and would probably have a difficult time deciding if he liked this one or his very own K&Q best. I think he favors this set for sale, though. Athough of Delrin, which is not a bad thing at all (no shifts in tuning, no wrapping of tenons required, no reed alterations required) the drones are majestic in sound. There are harmonic overtones associated with them that you will not hear on any other sets in the world....perhaps save one....REALLY!!!

I think the price is fair. But that's me. I'd pay this amount for the set sans chanter. If you took what I paid for the set 6 years ago, added the value of the additional bronze reg reeds, and the composite drone reeds, subtracted the price of the chanter, accounted for inflation, and considered the increase in value and prices of K&Q pipes you'd see this set is priced fairly. The K&Q "books" are closed. It is, thus, a unique opportunity for one who wishes to grab a rare set of pipes.

Oh yeah.....they work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No speculation as to whether one would require a new set of reeds to get this set going!!!!!!!!!!

There are several interested and I'm waiting to hear from the first in line before formalizing interest with others who have expressed interest.....get your hat ready.
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

No E wrote: Yes, you're on your own
No E.
:lol: :lol: Do you really believe that?
No E

Post by No E »

Peter Laban wrote:
No E wrote: Yes, you're on your own
No E.
:lol: :lol: Do you really believe that?

No--rhetorical flourish :D I just wanted to point out that the price is more reasonable than it might appear at first blush. It's way too much for an average set of pipes, but these aren't average.

No E
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

$7250 is not an outrageous price for a full set, but without the chanter?? :-?

Again, I wounder why the chanter isn't included?

Also, Glands, is that your photo under your name (on the LHS of the screne) and if so, was it taken after you saw the damage to the Land Rover and realised you'd have to sell the set??
Tony
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

Glands, there is no doubt you will get that price for the partial set and this 'Unique Opportunity to acquire pipes' offering will be talked about for a long, long time.

Sorry to hear you're forced to sell them.
ausdag

Post by ausdag »

I wonder if there's someome willing to 'hock' them from Glands since they seem to be such a nice set - you know pay him the money for the privelage of owning them and then in a written contract acknowledging Gland's right to buy them back when he is financially able to do so?

I'm not a lawyer, so I don't know if that's a feasable option or not.

Cheers,

DavidG
David (ausdag) Goldsworthy
http://ozuilleann.weebly.com/