Stuff like this makes me really scared of our legal system

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
jen f
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Stuff like this makes me really scared of our legal system

Post by jen f »

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u ... okies_dc_2

"DURANGO, Colo. (Reuters) - A Colorado judge ordered two teen-age girls to pay about $900 for the distress a neighbor said they caused by giving her home-made cookies adorned with paper hearts.

The pair were ordered to pay $871.70 plus $39 in court costs after neighbor Wanita Renea Young, 49, filed a lawsuit complaining that the unsolicited cookies, left at her house after the girls knocked on her door, had triggered an anxiety attack that sent her to the hospital the next day.

Taylor Ostergaard, then 17, and Lindsey Jo Zellitte, 18, paid the judgment on Thursday after a small claims court ruling by La Plata County Court Judge Doug Walker, a court clerk said on Friday.

The girls baked cookies as a surprise for several of their rural Colorado neighbors on July 31 and dropped off small batches on their porches, accompanied by red or pink paper hearts and the message: "Have a great night."

The Denver Post newspaper reported on Friday that the girls had decided to stay home and bake the cookies rather than go to a dance where there might be cursing and drinking.

It reported that six neighbors wrote letters entered as evidence in the case thanking the girls for the cookies.

But Young said she was frightened because the two had knocked on her door at about 10:30 p.m. and run off after leaving the cookies.

She went to a hospital emergency room the next day, fearing that she had suffered a heart attack, court records said.

The judge awarded Young her medical costs, but did not award punitive damages. He said he did not think the girls had acted maliciously but that 10:30 was fairly late at night for them to be out."
Unseen122
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

Wow that makes me so mad and can't even explain it. :x :x
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

I heard this on the radio yesterday.

Sad, truly SAD.
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
suejnnhe

Post by suejnnhe »

:x :x :x :x :x :x :x
HeySue!
_________
Don't Panic!
vomitbunny
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by vomitbunny »

Cookies don't kill people.
People who bake cookies kill people.
My opinion is stupid and wrong.
TelegramSam

Post by TelegramSam »

Well, doesn't surprise me. No good deed goes unpunished, after all.
<i>The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views. Which can be uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.</i>
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

Perhaps the girls should counter sue... you know... for the stress and indignation of having their offering assumed to be evil, and for the duress caused by the realization that some of the world's people are just not ever going to accept anyone's good intentions, and would sue them for trying to do a good deed.

I tell ya... I thought the 'depressing tune' thread was a little deflating, but this is truely depressing.
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

Mmmm... cookies.
Reasonable person
Walden
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

Had the Cookies been adorned with purple hearts I could understand it but this is just obscene.

Slan,
D.
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
missy

Post by missy »

wonder what this couple does when the Girl Scouts come around??? :o

Missy
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
missy

Post by missy »

oh - and another thought -
I could see doing this over zucchini. We had neighborhood WARS over zucchini. When growing it, it becomes a game to see just how much you can dump off on your neighbors. When NOT growing it, it becomes yet another game of giving it BACK.

But cookies???

Missy
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
susnfx

Post by susnfx »

All's well...donations have poured in to these girls (thousands of dollars) and the last sentence in this report says they're not angry with the woman or the judge:

http://www.sltrib.com/nationworld/ci_2557196

Susan
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

susnfx wrote:All's well...donations have poured in to these girls (thousands of dollars) and the last sentence in this report says they're not angry with the woman or the judge:

http://www.sltrib.com/nationworld/ci_2557196

Susan
Bless their generous spirits. I would hope I'd be a gracious, but I'm not even involved and it made me mad, LOL!

I'm glad to hear that they and their families are not angry. I hope the poor neighbor woman figures out how lucky she is to have such peop0le close by.

I *can* understand her fear, to an extent. I can even understand adking them to responsible about the time. 10:30 is awfully late for some people. But I don't think it was the plate of cookies that sent her to the hospital... I think it is a host of other things that have her on edge so much that such an event would put her over the edge.
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
susnfx

Post by susnfx »

The article I read (which differed in minor aspects from the one posted here) stated the woman also saw shadows going past her window. Considering the late hour, no answer to her call, and shadows outside her window, I can understand her fear. Personally, however, I would have called the police first, and I don't think it would have crossed my mind to sue anybody over it once I realized what had happened.

Long-winded personal anecdote: One late night my husband and I were startled by rocks hitting our roof. This went on for some time--at different locations on the roof. After looking around the yard and finding some of the rocks we still couldn't tell who was throwing them or where they were coming from. It finally stopped, but it happened again very late the next night. This time we also heard someone trying our front door. My husband went out and looked around again but could find nothing. I can't tell you what a terrifying feeling that was, knowing that someone was targeting you.

Early the next morning, my husband left for a golf game and within minutes the rocks were being thrown at the house again. Not wanting to be a target for anything, I literally crawled to the phone to call the police and stayed hunched against the wall, clutching my baby daughter, until the police arrived. They could find the rocks but nothing else.

The next rainy morning, after my husband had gone to work, I was just getting up when I heard someone running down the sidewalk at the side of my house. I quickly looked out the curtains at the back and couldn't see anyone but could see wet footprints across the cement under the covered patio. I immediately called the police again. A neighbor across the street came out to say she'd just seen a young man run down the alley next to her house and the police went off to find him. They came back a few minutes later to report that they'd caught him: the gas company meter reader.

I can say without any hesitation that the meter reader nearly caused me to have a heart attack (they now wear identifying jackets in Salt Lake). We never did find out who was throwing the rocks. We assume it was kids and if I'd caught them I'd have made certain they got a good talking-to. But sue anybody over any of it? It would have never crossed my mind.

Susan

(My apologies: when I started telling that, I didn't think it would be that long-winded.)
Last edited by susnfx on Sun Feb 06, 2005 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
amar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

had to come out of my hiding for this, that was the damn stupidest judge-call i think i have ever heard. It's plain so very very wrong!!!!!!! :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x
Idiots, stupid IDIOTS!!!