What whistles do famous musicians play? part 2

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Wanderer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

What whistles do famous musicians play? part 2

Post by Wanderer »

Well, since the original thread has been hijacked by the "it's the player not the whistle" crowd, perhaps this thread can continue the original discussion?

I'm compiling a list of what whistles are used by famous musicians. If anyone would like to add to the list (which will eventually be put on my website) please post what you know here. I am aware that this list will be somewhat apocryphal.

Thanks!
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

Alright. You're right the other thread got hi jacked. Here are some common ones: Burkes, Gens, Cillian O'Brians Modified, and Grinters for lower Keys. Of course there are a lot more these are just the ones some of my favorite players use.
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

Unseen122 wrote:Alright. You're right the other thread got hi jacked. Here are some common ones: Burkes, Gens, Cillian O'Brians Modified, and Grinters for lower Keys. Of course there are a lot more these are just the ones some of my favorite players use.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Slan,
D.
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
Bretton
Tell us something.: I've been playing whistle for a very long time, but never seem to get any better than I was about 10 years ago. I'm okay with that. :)

Post by Bretton »

I think I mentioned this before somewhere, but for the most part Grey Larsen plays Copelands:

- high D nickle
- low D brass
- Bb brass with 7 holes (goes down to A)

I believe he used to play Abell whistles at some point and still has some (Eb-D-C set I think) and he has an Overton (Bernard, I think) low D too.

-Brett
Darwin
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Darwin »

I'll pay for my sins in the other thread by pointing out that Mike Burke's Reviews & Comments page says:

"Many top musicians in Irish & Celtic music are playing my instruments.  Among these are Joanie Madden, Mary Rafferty, Paddy Kennan, Larry Nugent, Mick O'Brien, L. E. McCullough, Linda Hickman and a host of fine, lesser known musicians."
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

Tom Doorley plays and recommends Burke whistles.

I also saw him fall in love with Jen F.'s little Elfsong, wouldn't be surprised to see him play one of those next time.

--James
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

Seamus O'Geezer, may he rest in peace, almost exclusively played a beat up old-style Waldentone, in C#.
Reasonable person
Walden
Will O'B
Location: The Other Side Of The Glen (i.e. A Long Way From Tipperary)

Post by Will O'B »

The Cottars play Burke whistles (and possibly others as well).

Will O'Ban
So long as men can breathe, or eyes can see,
So long lives this, and this gives life to thee.

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!
Will O'B
Location: The Other Side Of The Glen (i.e. A Long Way From Tipperary)

Post by Will O'B »

Following an Irish Rovers' concert, Wallace Hood told me that one of the whistles he played in concert was an O'Brien.

Will O'Ban
So long as men can breathe, or eyes can see,
So long lives this, and this gives life to thee.

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

Will O'B wrote:Following an Irish Rovers' concert, Wallace Hood told me that one of the whistles he played in concert was an O'Brien.

Will O'Ban
And I seem to remember that Will Millar plays a Copeland high whistle.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which is least known--Montaigne

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
Jim McGuire

Post by Jim McGuire »

Don't many touring musicians play whatever is given them by some of the top whistle makers? Tin whistle makers understand the importance of product placement (just like in the movies). Even in the uilleann pipe world, the best touring players are comp'd all sorts of things like chanters, etc.
colomon
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Post by colomon »

Jim McGuire wrote:Don't many touring musicians play whatever is given them by some of the top whistle makers? Tin whistle makers understand the importance of product placement (just like in the movies).
It's absolutely true that at least some of the makers try this. I don't know how often it works -- in the examples I can think of at the moment, the whistle players didn't want anything to do with it.
Sol's Tunes (new tune 2/2020)
Jim McGuire

Post by Jim McGuire »

[quote="colomon] I don't know how often it works.[/quote]

I'll bet every touring flute or whistle player from Ireland has been given a whistle or two at one time or another. The courtesy would be to try it out on stage once (or more). Whether it sticks as a product placement is a separate issue but, nonetheless, product placement was achieved ('So-and-so plays one of my whistles').
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

I remember one instant where a low whistle was almost forced on a piper, he didn't really want it. Within no time the whislte was advertised as 'owned by so and so'. We had a good laugh at that.
The last times I played with Mick O Brien and Caoimhin Mick didn't grab into the full case of Burkes he had, he played the old reliable staple whistle.
Not that it all matters. (and before you know it , this thread goes into part 3)
:lol:
FJohnSharp
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

Brian McCoy of the Kells isn't really famous in large terms, but he's an up and coming player. He plays Burkes. He prefers the aluminum ones.
Last edited by FJohnSharp on Sun Feb 06, 2005 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Meon an phobail a thogail trid an chultur"
(The people’s spirit is raised through culture)

Suburban Symphony