You can help me if you have Dill Pickles in your kitchen

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
avanutria
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

You can help me if you have Dill Pickles in your kitchen

Post by avanutria »

I came across a worrying rumour in a discussion with other ex-patriots - there are no dill pickles in England. I went to the grocery store this afternoon, and sure enough, it was true. Add one more item to a growing list of AWOL food products.

There were, however, two possible contenders for runner-up. One was "Pickled Dill Cucumbers" and the other was "Cucumbers in Brine". Different seasonings in each, and to be honest both looked fairly nasty, but I'm willing to give it a shot.

I'd like to choose the one that is closer in ingredients to US dill pickles. So if someone's got a jar, could you tell me what the ingredients are? Then I'll know which to choose - the jar full of warty looking things with various small bits of vegetable matter floating around in the jar, or the one with fewer warts, fewer unknown plant bits, but a rather scum-like film on the bottom of the jar. :really:

(Other notable missing items, for the curious: Chicken noodle soup. Baked beans that are not canned in tomato sauce. Ravioli. Teryaki sauce. Rold Gold pretzels. Jello pudding. But at least I've finally located my waffle iron!)
aderyn_du

Post by aderyn_du »

Wish I could help you, Beth, but I only have spanish olives stuffed with pimientos.
Feadan

Re: You can help me if you have Dill Pickles in your kitchen

Post by Feadan »

avanutria wrote:I'd like to choose the one that is closer in ingredients to US dill pickles. So if someone's got a jar, could you tell me what the ingredients are?
A very long time ago I worked in a pickle factory. Trust me...you don't want to know.... :o

:D
Cheers,
David
missy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by missy »

well, are you talking hamburger dills, kosher dills, hot dills, or just what?

Pickles were cucumbers "once apon a time", so you're at least on the right track.

Missy

(who is thinking it might be profitable to open an "USA" grocery store in the UK!)
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
emmline

Post by emmline »

would that be considered "ethnic?"

I have only recently started eating the pickles they put next to my sandwich at restaurants, Ava, so I have none at home.
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

I have a "Dill Pickle Rag" in my mandolin repetoire if that helps...

Slan,
D. :)
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
Feadan

Post by Feadan »

dubhlinn wrote:I have a "Dill Pickle Rag" in my mandolin repetoire if that helps...

Slan,
That was one of my brother's fingerstyle guitar pieces. Great tune!

Cheers,
David
Feadan

Post by Feadan »

missy wrote:Pickles were cucumbers "once apon a time"
And fresh cucmbers are green on the outside and white on the inside. Now why do you suppose that a typical supermarket pickle is green all the way through? What purpose could there be in impregnating them with green dye? Is it perhaps to hide the fact that if you had a cucumber like the factory's pre-dyed one you wouldn't serve it to your family you would throw it in the trash? I mean...you know...the ones I put in the salads that I make don't have large brown & white splotches on them from starting to rot in the field.

Bon appetite! :D
David
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

Now I'm completely lost.

Dill cucmbers, in Australia, Britain and throughout Europe are whole cucumbers, often baby cucumbers, pickled. What else could they possibly be? I think these originated in Poland and Hungary. They are absolutely delicious.

Are they mashed in the US or something like that? Are you talking about gherkins?

BTW, Beth, whilst in England do treat yourself to Branston Pickles. Yum.
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

Feadan wrote:
dubhlinn wrote:I have a "Dill Pickle Rag" in my mandolin repetoire if that helps...

Slan,
That was one of my brother's fingerstyle guitar pieces. Great tune!

Cheers,
David
I have a version with Doc Watson and Chet Atkins together.

Impossibly awesome.

Slan,
D.
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
FJohnSharp
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

Claussen: Cucumbers, Water, distilled vinegar, salt, dried garlic, spices, and then some food sciency stuff

Hamburger Dill slices (local brand): Cucumbers, water, vinegar, salt, alum, and some food sciency stuff

No pickles in England?!? Sucks to be you.
"Meon an phobail a thogail trid an chultur"
(The people’s spirit is raised through culture)

Suburban Symphony
Sunnywindo

Post by Sunnywindo »

Try this:

http://www.vlasic.com/Products/pickles.html#

Click on a product then click on the little link on the left labeled "Nutrition Info". It lists the ingrediants. Hope that helps.

No pickles, huh? What concerns me more is the lack of Jello Pudding!

:boggle: Sara (who loves to eat Jello instant chocolate pudding)
'I wish it need not have happend in my time,' said Frodo.
'So do I,' said Gandalf, 'and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.'

-LOTR-
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

Wombat - I'm lost with you...but I'm sitting smack dab in the middle of the continental USA. I think what's happened is that most Americans have no idea where there food came from. I remember my grandmother making dill pickles...which are simply cucumbers pickled with dill and other spices.

Avanutria - Be brave, try both. Real pickles beat the tarnation out of what passes for pickles in the USA...although those Claussen pickles with all the spices floating in the bottle that are stored in the store cooler are really, really good.

Eric
Jack

Post by Jack »

That vinegar in pickles often but not always has animal ingredients in it or has used animal parts in the manufactoring process.

Just thought somebody'd like to know.
Feadan

Post by Feadan »

Jayhawk wrote: Avanutria - Be brave, try both. Real pickles beat the tarnation out of what passes for pickles in the USA...although those Claussen pickles with all the spices floating in the bottle that are stored in the store cooler are really, really good.
I'll second that. And you'll note that Claussens indeed are white on the inside & green on the outside as a cucmber should be. :)

Cheers,
David