Irish/Scottish folk song

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Entropy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Irish/Scottish folk song

Post by Entropy »

Hey all, I'm hoping someone here will be able to help me identify a song I heard awhile back. The recording that I've got is by a band called Poison Dwarf, which I saw at last year's Williamsburg Scottish Festival. Unfortunately, the CD doesn't have an insert listing song titles or contact info. The song tells the story of a man named Donald MacGalifree (sp?) who seems to be going to war with King James. Any ideas?

Thanks
colomon
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Post by colomon »

Try "Donald McGillavry".
Sol's Tunes (new tune 2/2020)
Entropy

Post by Entropy »

Wow! Much thanks!
ChaoticGemini

Post by ChaoticGemini »

ooh that's a fun song I haven't heard in a while. Now I have to go find it.
AaronMalcomb

Re: Irish/Scottish folk song

Post by AaronMalcomb »

Entropy wrote: The song tells the story of a man named Donald MacGalifree (sp?) who seems to be going to war with King James. Any ideas?
Donald MacGillivray. Good call, colomon. But the title character is fighting for King James, not against. It's a Jacobite tune, Jacobus being the Latin form of the name James. The song features lines like "Here's tae King James" and "Up wi' King James." You'd be hard-up to find Scottish folks songs sung in opposition to the Jacobite cause.

Silly Wizard did an excellent live performance of the song.

Cheers,
Aaron
BigDavy

Anti Jacobite Songs

Post by BigDavy »

Hi Aaron

Thanks for the tunes& Snips in clips, I enjoyed it.

For a good anti Jacobite song try this:-

http://www.dickalba.demon.co.uk/songs/texts/nogods.html.

David
Payday, Piping, Percussion and Poetry- the 4 best Ps
weaselwhistle

Post by weaselwhistle »

Donald McGillavry is not a Jacobite song. It's actualy a clever 18th c. fake.
It's still very fun, especially with O'Neill's Cavalry March tagged onto the end, like Silly Wizard.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

Although I know the song well from Silly Wizard and other sources, this thread had me diving in my Scottish collection again. Actually, the name 'McGillavry' has several spellings and I was wondering if the spelling was consistent between versions.
AaronMalcomb

Post by AaronMalcomb »

weaselwhistle wrote:Donald McGillavry is not a Jacobite song. It's actualy a clever 18th c. fake.
I'm sure a lot of "Jacobite" songs are about as genuine as MacPherson's "Ossian." The inspiration is real but it's just been given an antique finish.

I'm glad you enjoyed the tunes, David.

Cheers,
Aaron
weaselwhistle

Post by weaselwhistle »

Ossian (both the poem and the group) is enjoyable too.
I have heard that among it's admirers was a certain N. Bonaparte.
DM is one of my favorite Scottish songs, and probably caprtures the conservatism of the Highalnds better than most.
brianholton
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brianholton »

The text of Donald McGillivray was written by James Hogg (aka "The Ettrick Shepherd") and published in his book Jacobite Relics.

I lived near Ettrickbridge for a good few years, a few miles down the valley from Hogg's old stamping grounds. A bonnie bit of the world....

brian
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

I love this tune!!!!

I first heard it 20plus years ago sung acapella at a celigh at the games on Grandfather Mt. Then I found the music/words and liked it even more.
But this tune really brings to mind-

At the time I had a litter of Skye puppies and one was named Donald McGillavry because he was such a fun guy. He was such a facinating dog that I kept him his entire life even though he did not have the show conformation of some of his other littermates. Shown only occasionaly as a point maker, he always almostbeat the better dogs, usually going reserve winners dog- simply on personality. It was always funny watching the judges agonize(litterally) over placing him. He was just so full of himself and life! The judges were drawn to him sheerly on personality and "showmanship".
I always said if I'd had his outlook on a well built dog he couldn't have been stopped. Donald was a great dog.

Lyrics-

http://search.netscape.com/ns/boomframe ... avry.shtml
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
amar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

http://yar.hole.ru:8080/Music/music.htm --> quite an amazing mp3 site. you'll find the tune here among others.
Entropy

Post by Entropy »

Thanks. Would anyone happen to know where I might be able to find the sheet music or tab for it?
AaronMalcomb

Post by AaronMalcomb »

I'm pretty sure I saw that song in a Ewan MacColl book. Try Folk Songs As Ballads Of Scotland.

Cheers,
Aaron