American students think First Amendment is no big deal

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
glauber
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

American students think First Amendment is no big deal

Post by glauber »

Last edited by glauber on Mon Jan 31, 2005 4:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
Jack

Post by Jack »

Hey. I'm an American student. What's the First Amendment?

;-)
jsluder
antispam: No

Post by jsluder »

Sad, but not surprising. The US Constitution and Bill of Rights were barely mentioned when I was in grade school and high school in the 1970's and early 1980's. (And my speech was only free if my parents didn't find out what I said at school. :twisted: )

All too often, history is taught as a date memorization exercise; the tests are easier to grade that way. That certainly made me apathetic about the subject. I didn't develop an interest in history until I was in my 30's.

John
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
Jeff Stallard

Post by Jeff Stallard »

Bill of what???
:-?
"Reality is the computer hardware, and religions are the operating systems: abstractions that allow us to interact with, and draw meaning from, a reality that would otherwise be incomprehensible."
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

Sadly, they won't know what they got till its gone. It's not just the U.S. here in Canada if the same study was taken, I suspect that the same kind of results will be found.

MarkB
Everybody has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.
Danner

Post by Danner »

There was a report on the radio the other morning that was just about as disturbing. A school in a neighboring county has decided not to teach social studies or health or art or music or anything else that is not the standardized tests they have to take. Some kids won't even know what the amendments are!!

On the other hand, today when our geography teacher was asking us what we would do if the draft were reestablished, everyone really considered it long and hard. Some teachers do still teach students not just the facts, but also how to think about them, and some students still do understand the world very well for their age.
"'Tis deeds, not blood, which determine the worth of a being." -Dennis L. McKiernan
amar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

Bill Gates, right?
OnTheMoor

Post by OnTheMoor »

MarkB wrote:Sadly, they won't know what they got till its gone. It's not just the U.S. here in Canada if the same study was taken, I suspect that the same kind of results will be found.

MarkB
You know I wouldn't be worried if students couldn't give us the First Amendment of the Canadian Constitution. :P
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

jsluder wrote:Sad, but not surprising. The US Constitution and Bill of Rights were barely mentioned when I was in grade school and high school in the 1970's and early 1980's.
Geez, I'm only a couple of years older than you, and we spent half a year on it in junior high.

I'm not surprised by this; I think there are numerous causes. For one thing, knowledge of the US Constitution isn't tested in those international tests that the policymakers are so taken with.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

Let me clarify somethin' I meant the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms not the U.S. First Amendment, if a comparative study was taken.

Thanks for pointing that out

MarkB
Everybody has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.
IRTradRU?

Post by IRTradRU? »

From the article:

The study suggests that students embrace First Amendment freedoms if they are taught about them and given a chance to practice them, but schools don't make the matter a priority.

Talk about sad...
IRTradRU?
OnTheMoor

Post by OnTheMoor »

MarkB wrote:Let me clarify somethin' I meant the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms not the U.S. First Amendment, if a comparative study was taken.

Thanks for pointing that out

MarkB
Just messing with you. :D
OnTheMoor

Post by OnTheMoor »

Besides which, how many Canadians (forget about school children) would pick up on that fact if you asked them what our First Amendment was? Canadians still try to plead the Fifth in court.
IRTradRU?

Post by IRTradRU? »

Plead the fifth?

You mean like Canadian Club, or Seagrams, or Crown Royal?

:wink:
IRTradRU?
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

jsluder wrote: All too often, history is taught as a date memorization exercise; the tests are easier to grade that way. That certainly made me apathetic about the subject. I didn't develop an interest in history until I was in my 30's.

John
ditto. I was turned off History in School by the age of 13, but anyone who knows me now would say I knew a lot of History and found it fascinating. It all came after the age of 30.
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that schwing