Preferred Whistles

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Darwin
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Darwin »

When I moved, I brought the Syn aluminum and the Busman Delrin, in part because I like both of them quite well, but also because both are physically sturdy, and I didn't worry about throwing them into my carry-on bag.

I've been keeping all of my whistles in their cases, mostly in a big pile on one shelf of my bookcase, and just putting a couple of the tougher ones out on top of the computer, to keep warm. As a result, those are the ones that have gotten the most play in the past. The others mostly came out when I started feeling guilty about not playing them.

Once I get settled, I intend to make a whistle rack that will put all of them out within easy reach. Then I guess I'll find out which ones are my real favorites.
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe
Hornpiper

Post by Hornpiper »

Lately, it's been Michael Copeland (D) and Phil Hardy (Bb, A, low G, F, Eb, D) whistles for me.
Scott McCallister
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Scott McCallister »

Right now the whistles I prefer to play are a tweaked Susato High D (the Bloom-style guitar pick method-- the turtle's head from the pick logo still visible in the tone window!) for practice and a Copeland Nickel D for gigs and sessions. I also spend a fair amount of time playing a Susato Bb MB that has a particularly good sound.

That Guitar Pick Tweak works really well. Made the susato Hi-D jump in preference from about #4 after the copeland, sweetone and clark to #2. I also tweaked a Susato Low D (sweeter tone and no squeeks on octave crossing now)with this method using a thicker Fender Pick,(fender logo still intact) and a gen high G(went form shreeky to manageable up to High high D- (fingered as A) past that it spikes in volume for the last few notes up the scale-- music for dogs.

The Humphries seem pretty popular right now... I'll have to go check them out.
There's and old Irish saying that says pretty much anything you want it to.

tubafor

Post by tubafor »

Low whistles: my C#/D/D# Overton set, an Alba D, and an Alba low C/Bb set. Some Dixons and Hoovers down there too, two low F's - a purple/blue Overton and a Chieftain, an aluminum Burke G, a brass Chieftain A, Water Weasels in Ab, A, and Bb, and my favorite Hoover - a low F#.

Higher - Overton C, Hoover Skipole C, WW Db, Hoover PVC D, Silkstone D+ and some odd Susatos - a B/C/D set, an Eb, and their high ones - E,F,G set.

Out of them all, the ones I reach for absolutely first are the Overton C#/D/D# set, the purple Overton F, and the Hoover low F#, with the Alba low C/Bb right alongside. :)

Cal
"Vocatus, atque non vocatus, Deus aderit..."
------------------------------------------
Cal Olson
Whistles, Windsynth and other toys...
Hear samples from my CD "Angelica's Waltz" at:
www.myspace.com/praisewhistler
Lizzie

Post by Lizzie »

Another vote for Burke...my aluminum D..plus my O Riordan low F/G combo.
RonKiley

Post by RonKiley »

Since I posted in November my preference has changed slightly. I now reach for my Humphrey Narrow Bore D, Eb set unless I need a quiet whistle then I reach for the Alba Q1. For a lower whistle the Dixon G. I am still looking for the Sweetheart Pro, a Busman and an Alba Low G or F.

Of course all of the others get played from time to time.

Ron
I've never met a whistle I didn't want.
buddhu

Post by buddhu »

A bit of a change here too. I've reluctantly drifted away from the lovely aluminium/abs Dixon and back just to my nickel Feadog C and Ds.

The Dixon is great, but a little cloggy and a fraction quiet.

The Feadogs, on the other hand, just suit me perfectly.

I'd just like to say at this point how much I admire everyone's restraint (in several threads) in not telling me to shut the hell up about nickel Feadogs... :roll:
And whether the blood be highland, lowland or no.
And whether the skin be black or white as the snow.
Of kith and of kin we are one, be it right, be it wrong.
As long as our hearts beat true to the lilt of a song.
vomitbunny
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by vomitbunny »

Humphreys, narrow, wide, and older retro, my favorite feadog (tweaked), and a couple of gens (tweaked) that turned out good. Susato when I feel like using air and playing loud. Oh, and my first whistle, the original clarke. I've just gone back to playing that more lately. It actually compares pretty favorably to anything I have. A bit tweaked.
The Shaw low D gets a bit of playing too. Easy on the hands. Heavily tweaked.
Hoover Bb whitecap and a Meg have been riding in the car for traffic jams and stop lights lately.
I pick up and play almost everything I still have playable from time to time, but those get the most use.
My opinion is stupid and wrong.
burnsbyrne

Post by burnsbyrne »

The whistle I play 90% of the time is my Sindt D with a Feadog brass barrel on it. The rest of my playing time is divided between a Humphrey narrow bore D and a Clare D.
Mike
Jeff_H

Post by Jeff_H »

I prefer them all! If I'm not risking disturbing the whole house I play my Burke D-BPS or my Freeman Tweaked Sweetone. For quieter playing my Whitecaped Clare Brass D or my nickel Generation C come out.

I've recently received a Dixon low G and a Hoover CPVC low D so I the jury is out on my lows....

Jeff
KDMARTINKY

Post by KDMARTINKY »

What day is it? :lol: I prefer Lows, but when it comes to a particular whistle I am playing the heck out of my new Alloy Low D by Silkstone, but still faithful to my Chieftain Golds as well.
Keith

Bionn dha insint ar sceal agus leagon deag ar amhran
There are two versions of every story and twelve of every song
alespa
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Music has been a part of my life for as long as I can remember. Part of what I love about celtic/folk style music is the sound of a handful of handmade instruments that remind me of simpler times.

Post by alespa »

Depends on my mood, but my Water Weasel high D gets alot of play time. The volume and tone combined are nice. I can throw myself into it more. My Chieftain Gold mezzo A has a beautiful tone, and sometimes I like to play my Chieftain Gold alto F. I don't usually grab the brass ones though unless I plan to play a bit. I like to play my teak Syns as well, but as I have posted already, I'm sacrificing my multibody set of D-C-Bb, but keeping my lone D, since D's are what I mostly play now. I go through spells playing my Kerry Low D, which has a lovely tone and is easy to play. I have my Hoover whitecaps and one Dixon set off in my "quiet area" and those are great when I don't want to be loud, and I have another Dixon high tuneable, Clarke Original and Generation Eb that I play very little, but enough to keep around.
There's no such thing as a stranger, just friends we have not yet met.
lyrick

Post by lyrick »

Almost all of my whistling is done on a Humphrey narrow bore D, a Burke narrow bore brass D, and an O'Briain tweaked Feadog, which I sometimes put on an Eb tube (same with the Humphrey). I like them all, play the Humphrey and Burke the most, but each one has certain tunes that sound best on it, and at different times I prefer the sound of one over the other. The O'Briain is easiest for me to play breathwise, so I often learn tunes on it. Thankfully, I don't have serious WHOA--but I'm waiting for some Sindts, and don't really have the desire for anything else besides a good cheapie.
Love...Serve...Remember
MikeyLikesIt

Post by MikeyLikesIt »

I love my new Kerry Low E (Thanks Talbert!!!), so I've been playing that a lot lately. For sessions I play my Burke Low D, and will use my Greenwood D(Thanks Chas!!!) when it comes in the mail on Monday. Got to get used to it quick since I have a get together the next evening where I plan to use it. I also have some tweaked generations in B-flat, E-flat, and C that I fiddle around with every once in a while. I still plan on using my Guiness whistle, as it was my first and plays quite nicely.
lyndamic

Post by lyndamic »

My preferred whistle is a Sweetheart Pro in Dymondwood (laminated wood).

Whistle isn't my primary instrument. Although I play ITRAD, I prefer the sweetness, purity and smoothness of wooden whistles. Chiff and rasp are two things I can easily live without. Mine isn't overly loud either; I've seen others complain about this. I'd much rather have warm and lovely (imo) than chiffy and pure drop.

I suppose I'm actually a natural-born recorder player in denial.