Niall Keegan - and why he is making me give up the flute!

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
BMFW
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Niall Keegan - and why he is making me give up the flute!

Post by BMFW »

I saw Niall Keegan at a gig in Glasgow on Saturday. Some flute players inspire you to better things, hearing Niall just made me thing "it's not worth it, I'm just going to give up rather than wallow in mediocrity for the rest of my days!"

Obviously I have a copy of his CD which gives you a flavour of what he can do but, as happens so often, the recording does not really do him justice.

The gig was billed as a "Master and Aprentice" evening with a young Glasgow flute player called Kevin O'Neill (who I saw last year and mentioned his name here as one to watch for the future.) So there was a few sets from Kevin (obvioulsy influenced by Niall when you hear his style), followed by a few sets from Niall, then a few sets together.

The first thing that struck me about Niall was the force of his tone. Not harsh or rough but mighty powerful. Next, obviously, was the amazing and truly outrageous playing. I was there with a fellow flute player and our biggest source of wonder was how he gets back to the tune after tearing off on one of his soaring improvisations.

Two encores comprised The Gold Ring and The Silver Spear. Rarely have I heard such non-standard standards! So, I may not actually give up the flute but it will be some time before I can bring myself to play The Gold Ring or The Silver Spear again.

If you get the chance to see Niall live then grab it. If you don't have his CD "Don't Touch The Elk", then buy it - but have an open mind at all times.

Cheers,

Graham

PS - we are slap bang in the middle of the Celtic Connections festival in Glasgow and just to make you jelous I have already seen McGoldrick & McSherry (truly amazing but, as you will know if you have seen either of them before, a bit short on engaging stage presence) and I will be seeing Lunasa on Friday - bliss!
Whistlin'Dixie

Post by Whistlin'Dixie »

so many CD's are on my list! I'll add this one ~ I'd love a live listen to Niall someday, as well as a few of my other favorites...

Mary
gorjuswrex

Post by gorjuswrex »

Hi

Niall Keegan is certainly an extremely talented player.
Speaking personally though I don't enjoy his playing much.
I often find some of the most 'obviously' technically talented players are not what I want to listen to. My preference tends to be for players who are very technically gifted but use their technical mastery in a way that suits the tune and brings out some quality of the tune. I also like players who play less technically but with good style, lift, feeling etc.

To me an example of a well know technically superb player is Matt Molloy. He has a special ability though not to let his mastery of instrument get in the way of the tune. Whenever he does show his mastery he does it in a way that makes sense within the tune. I don’t feel he ever does something just because he can.

I remember being very impressed by a flute player I had heard a little of. I brought a tape of his (it was a good few years ago )and thought ‘wow’ that’s great playing. I was thinking he was on a par with M.M. as his style, on the surface, is similar. After listening to it a few times and absorbing it more I stated to change my view. For example I often found myself saying wouldn’t that sound a lot better slowed up a tad. The overall ‘feel’ when listening was not as good. I got the impression that too much of the playing was ‘I play it like this because I can and its difficult ’ rather than because that was the sound he liked. I do still occasionally listen to this recording. I don’t find it very musically pleasing. My feeling is here’s a great technical player but I’m not over stuck on his feeling. The fancy stuff ‘sticks out’ too much rather than blending in like Malloy’s does. I think exceptional technical talent has to be used carefully if it’s not to get in the way.

Of course this is personal opinion and other people may find different responses to a flashy player that I miss. I do tent to like ‘traditional’ style playing but also enjoy new styles where I can relate to it on a level beyond pure technicality.

A player does not need to be able to do really fancy technical stuff to be a good artist. To be a showman is different.

Kevin
David Levine

The Great Keegan

Post by David Levine »

Are you playing to be good-- or to express something in your soul?
Just love to play. Then it won't matter who is better or worse player than you. It is about loving to play, not about being as good or better than somebody else.
Time will tell who has fell and who's been left behind,
Most likely you'll go your way, I'll go mine.
Whistlin'Dixie

Re: The Great Keegan

Post by Whistlin'Dixie »

David Levine wrote:Are you playing to be good-- or to express something in your soul?
Just love to play. Then it won't matter who is better or worse player than you. It is about loving to play, not about being as good or better than somebody else.
David: I am forever indebted to you and this statement....

It seems that lately, every time I feel especially pleased with the way I am playing, I somehow end up listening to someone's "clip" and then begin this spiral of "why don't I sound halfway as good as that person by now, after all, I have been playing this darn thing for (x) years....."
Yesterday, I started off with this thought again, then said to myself, "Well, really, who cares? I have enjoyed myself playing this whole day, and feel entirely stress-free right now, plus I have nailed this tune I was trying to learn, SO THERE!"

My soul is at peace right now.

M
gorjuswrex

Post by gorjuswrex »

I agree. The most important thing is to enjoy your own playing. For most of us part of the enjoyment is improving our playing.

Kevin
Henke
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Henke »

David Levine wrote:Are you playing to be good-- or to express something in your soul?
This is the best advice I've heard on these boards for a long time, thanks David.
BMFW

Post by BMFW »

Of course you are 100% right - and I trust that the tongue-in-cheek nature of my post did not pass everyone by. Loving to play should of course be one's primary motivation and striving to improve must come a close second.

As for Kevin's comments on the "obviously" technically gifted players then yes, technique is nothing without feeling and a desire to let the music speak. One can be the best technical exponent of one's instrument without having one iota of music in your soul. I think Niall is a pretty musical guy and although the technique is pretty in-your-face, I think he carries it off well.

G
treeshark

Post by treeshark »

David is of course entirely right ... but I find it quite a difficult thing to consistently put myself in such a pure musical expression space tho I do try. Unfortunately trying means you don't go there!
The attitude to fantastic players is to be inspired by them, definately not put off, after all they only show how much of an extremely pleasurable road there is before you!
I'd agree I find Nial Keegan too showy, M,Molloy just seems to get the feeling just right and rarely allows virtuosity to dominate.
Rob
David Levine

Niall

Post by David Levine »

<<Unfortunately trying means you don't go there!>>

Ah, that's the mistake. "Trying" is what it's all about. There is no 'there' to get to. When you think you're there is when you're not there. When you're just playing ('trying' if you will) and caught up in the music ... that's when you're right there, in the moment.
It doesn't mean you don't care about playing more beautifully. But you have to be in the beauty of your flute as you play it. Your practice must be beautiful. That might mean more or fewer ornaments, faster or slower tempo.
BTW, I really do like Niall Keegan. And Brian Finnegan. Of course, MM. And The Great Rafferty as well. What I don't really listen to with as much pleasure are contemporary Trad Irish groups that are commercial machines, who play like the hammers of hell, balls to the wall, loud, aggressive, jumbled stuff that is commercially appealing. Give me honest rock and roll any day.
Time will tell who has fell and who's been left behind,
Most likely you'll go your way, I'll go mine.
Seanduine

Post by Seanduine »

I have to agree that Niall Keegan and Kevin O'Neill were outstanding on Saturday night. It was clear that both lads were thoroughly enjoying their music. For me the technical brilliance did not get in the way. They both played beautifully. It was also good to see two less 'popular' makers' flutes being played; an Ormiston by O'Neill and I'm assuming a Williams by Keegan and both flutes sounded great.
treeshark

Re: Niall

Post by treeshark »

David Levine wrote: caught up in the music ... that's when you're right there, in the moment.
This is something I some times have difficulty getting over to drawing students, when you are performing at your best you have no sensation of time or self and definately no thought that anybody might be impressed by your efforts... I can after thirty odd years often fall into complete involvement that way without consciously intending to but sometimes the moment won't happen.
rama
Tell us something.: flute itm flute, interested in the flute forum for discussions and the instrument exchange forum to buy and sell flutes

Post by rama »

graham,
i know what you mean about keegan. there is something totally refreshing about those wild (jazzy) runs of notes that he does, sort of like going into the stratusphere, and then how he somehow finds his way back into the mudane world (the 'traditional' tune) where the rest of us are, waiting and wondering 'how will he make it back', or 'will he ever make it back', or will he crash and burn.....
he's got such a wonderful solid tone and a command of the instrument; and a complex player, opening up new avenues...more power to him

there's a player in the states, skip healy, who i sat sat in sessions with. he would go off into wild musical tangents (much like keegan) and then come right back into the tune never missing a beat. i used to marvel at how he did it.

truly amazing stuff...

...me, i'm lucky if i can make it thru a tune without flubbing it up, but i sure put alot of soul into it... :wink:
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

I'm finally undertaking something I've heard John S. say time and again ... that first you have to know the tune inside out before you can do anything with it. And I mean, inside out. I'm currently working on learning variations, etc. and am realizing how little I really know tunes I've played for years -- to the point of boredom, even!

Anyway, this is requiring relearning things, but wow, it's hard sometimes, especially the "unlearning" part. I am, however, finding that as I get more "back of my hand" with a tune the easier it is to wander off it a bit and still find my way back (although for me at this point, an extra triplet, octave jump, held note or flip-flopping roll rhythm is about as exciting as it gets). I'm also finding that few tunes are inherently boring; it's just my approach to them. And finally, I'm discovering that ....

.... it takes a lot of trying to get to know a tune that well. And thus, therefore, a lot of trying to make it effortless.

(Now, of course the better you are, the shorter your learning curve, but nevertheless: The harder you work, the better you get. The better you get, the more interesting it becomes. And after that, if any tune is boring, shame on you.)

To me, that's where Niall K. seems to live.
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
kevin m.

Post by kevin m. »

The only time that I've heard Niall's playing is on his website,and to be honest,it's not my cup of tea.
I don't go for flash and dazzling technique-my idea of an Irish flute player is Jack Coen.I think you see where my heart lies.
Curiously enough,I do enjoy Jazz-I suppose that I'm just a bit of a purist when it comes to ITM!
"I blame it on those Lead Fipples y'know."