Good 8 key flute for sale

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
andrewK

Good 8 key flute for sale

Post by andrewK »

I have just had an unstamped Wylde 8 keyed flute returned after a bit of tinkering by the Flutemaster, who observed what a very good player it is. A big sound.
It has a cocus body, but a Wilkes Headjoint and barrel in blackwood.
Only £1000 + shipping.

I am expecting another good looking Wylde from the US where it was lurking at a giveaway price needing headjoint restoration ( if the Guru's experienced eye does not deceive him ) and I already have a couple here for restoration so one must go unless I plan to open a Wylde room somewhere in the house!
gorjuswrex
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by gorjuswrex »

Just out of interest. How do you know it’s a Wylde if it’s unstamped?

Kevin
andrewK

Post by andrewK »

Be advised by someone who has handled / repaired dozens of them, I suggest.
There are a lot more unstamped ones than stamped . He was flogging them through lots of people, it appears, from his " Manufactury ".
Late on when the cylindrical flute was threatening his market he was knocking them out through Rudall Rose & Carte dead cheap !

Some Old English makers had distinct little features.
BMFW

Post by BMFW »

Ahh - now I am holding back the tears! This used to be my flute which I sold to Andrew a while ago. It was not a bad player when I sold it, I was a bad player. However, I got the chance to play it again, complete with it's new Wilkes headjoint, a month or so ago. This is a first class flute made by one of the greats (and repaired by one of the greats) - and the price is a steal. If you wish to dip your toes in the waters of 8-keyed flutes, I can think of no better way.

G
rama
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: flute itm flute, interested in the flute forum for discussions and the instrument exchange forum to buy and sell flutes

Post by rama »

flute is sold. it was a pleasure to do business with the 'wylde, wilkes & andrewk' flute cartel. the flute is a topclass player.
shed tears no more, bmfw, it has a good home.

edit: andrewk was generous and kind
Last edited by rama on Thu Feb 17, 2005 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dthepeopleskey

Post by dthepeopleskey »

$2000 american for an anonymous flute. T'wer I so fortunate!
rama
Tell us something.: flute itm flute, interested in the flute forum for discussions and the instrument exchange forum to buy and sell flutes

Post by rama »

a good sounding flute is a player's delight
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

It looks like it worth every penny!
eilam

Post by eilam »

Rama, I'm really happy for you, It's such a nice flute, does it have a smaller embouchure then other flutes you play? how is the volume? is the tone focused and tight, crisp, dark, bight?
what flute were you doing most your playing before this one?
best wishes, eilam.
rama

Post by rama »

thanks eilam,
it may not be quite as nice to look at as your r&r! but i tend to play with my eyes shut anyway!
as andrew mentioned, it has a wilkes hj. typical wilkes embouchure hole, nicely cut. i guess it's somewhat tight, which seems to be my preference. medium-ish toneholes, very smooth, easy on the fingers.
the flute arrived today, so i only just played a few tunes on it. in fact, i played 'the mossy banks', thanks to steampacket! my intitial impression is that it seems to have a lovely mellow tone, dark first octave, sweet fairly strong in the second octave. projects well, notably juicy low d. a breeze to play, alot of tone with little wind - notes tend to pop out. as you know, it will take some playing to get into each little nuance of the flute.
prior to that, i'd say most my time has been spent on r&r 4396, among others. thanks for your interest. i'll keep you posted.

edit: as you can see from the photo, the bad part about this flute is that it only has three toneholes. i never had much use for the botton ones anyway...
Last edited by rama on Thu Feb 17, 2005 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eilam

Post by eilam »

it's a classic, really beautiful flute.
thats exiting, because it will just play better and better as you spend time with it.
is it very deferent from your R&R?
yes, please keep us posted, your sound clips a year or two ago were so nice, once you feel like you know the new flute, would be nice to hear a clip if you can.
take care, eilam.
rama

Post by rama »

the two flutes play and sound relatively the same. a couple of notes seem to take on slightly different shape, which of course makes every flute sort of unique and fun, at least to me.
i will see about putting up a clip, just for the 'halibut'. oh eilam, you would ask, wouldn't you.
baggins_21

The flute

Post by baggins_21 »

"it seems to have a lovely mellow tone, dark first octave, sweet fairly strong in the second octave. projects well, notably juicy low d. a breeze to play, alot of tone with little wind - notes tend to pop out"

Boy, I can't tell if I have less delicate (and capable) ears, or I'm just not as articulate! That's some pretty specific information.
Also, it's the photo, but the top body piece looks almost bent--weird.
M
Teaching in Bolivia--that's in South America.
andrewK

Post by andrewK »

You will see if you look carefully, Baggins, that tha box has been built barrel shaped to accommodate the distorted flute.
The flute does have a big sound.
eilam

Post by eilam »

Andrew, did the box warp, and caused the flute to warp with it? or did the flute warp the box?
On the R&R, did the R come before the R or the R come before the R?
you know what I mean :boggle: