OT: Washing machines and being married to a piper ;-)

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
beckitybek
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

OT: Washing machines and being married to a piper ;-)

Post by beckitybek »

My nearest and dearest has started a web-blog, it's hilarious. This is the most recent entry...

Most men (read 'me') like gadgets. Most women (read 'my missus') think that most gadgets are over complicated and often struggle to get them to work. Take my nearest and dearest. She's a musician and plays one of the most ridiculous and complicated instruments known to man, the Uilleann pipes (or Irish Pipes as they are often known). You need about 3 pairs of arms with at least 16 fingers on each hand, the strength and endurance of someone running a marathon on their tip-toes and the coordination of an octopus juggling chainsaws in order to play them. Not only can she play them, she can make them, repair them and teach someone else to play them, yet give her a digital camera and she's lost!

So why then do us blokes struggle with washing machines? I think perhaps they are designed to get us back. Ours has about 5 different temperatures, 25 wash programs, special buttons for economy, half load, full load, underpants, curtains, household pets etc etc. What are they all for? I have no idea. I have come to learn that despite this complexity a washing machine only really needs two buttons. 'Open door' and 'Go'. I have discovered the holy grail of our washing machine - program 'C', which I think stands for Can't go wrong with the small caveat that you should never attempt to wash your partners clothes otherwise it will be more than the washing machine that goes wrong. Simply get dirty clothes, open door, bung clothes in, turn dial to 'C', press go, wait till finished, get washing out, et voilà!

None of this sort out clothes into dark, white, off white, underwear and shiny things; put dark on program 'B', 30 degrees, econo-mode; white on program 'H', 60 degrees, crease protection, stain removal; off white on program 'N', 65.3 degrees, fluff protection circuit on, tissue removal off; underwear on program 'F', 32.59 degrees, crotch scrub on, crease protection medium, delicate spin vortex on; shiny things on program 'Q', 412 degrees, multi-sheen mode on, colour saturation 50%, dingle dangle level 3, hi-spin motion sensor on, revolution limiter medium, snot protector on.

Full blog can be found on www.anthonyscott.com
John O'Gara

Post by John O'Gara »

Wow, talk about airing your dirty laundry in public! :lol:
glands

Post by glands »

Becky, your husband has an excellent sense of humor!
Joseph E. Smith
antispam: No

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

That's pretty funny! :D Thanks for sharing it. I'll have to keep tabs on that blog for my morning 'fix' of tea, smoke and humor. :)
Brian Lee
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Brian Lee »

Wait - your washer has an actual BUTTON for household pets? I've been doing it for years on the extra soiled mode but you have an honest to goodness button?!?! Why did we ever leave England?! :-? :lol:
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Brian Lee wrote:Wait - your washer has an actual BUTTON for household pets? I've been doing it for years on the extra soiled mode but you have an honest to goodness button?!?! Why did we ever leave England?! :-? :lol:
... and here I've been using the old washing board method. My dog thanks you.

beckitybek

Post by beckitybek »

glands wrote:Becky, your husband has an excellent sense of humor!
He has to have - he's married to a piper after all :D
Douglas

Post by Douglas »

That was great Becky. I should get my wife to check it out.

thanks
benwalker

Post by benwalker »

I wonder........ are there any piping husband and wife couples out there?
If so, do you think they ever run out of things to talk about :-?
I too struggle with the washing machine (and the toaster, fridge, freezer, gas fire, sink, WC. and every other household appliance I can think off)
My wife forbids me to even think of DIY!
Sippin water of a spoon

www.benwalker.org
The Sporting Pitchfork
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by The Sporting Pitchfork »

benwalker wrote:I wonder........ are there any piping husband and wife couples out there?
Are you kidding? It would be like a cross between "Fatal Attraction," "Plan 9 From Outer Space," and "The NPU Reedmaker's Guide."
AlanB
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by AlanB »

Last edited by AlanB on Tue Nov 22, 2005 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Uilliam

Post by Uilliam »

benwalker wrote:I wonder........ are there any piping husband and wife couples out there?
Mr and Mrs Pat McNulty of Glasgow..they also play together :wink:
Uilliam
If ye are intersted in helping our cause to cure leprosy feel free to PM me.
Davey

yikes...

Post by Davey »

...ugh! I can't imagine having to make a reed for my wife....holy hannah, what a nightmare!

I learned early on in the marriage to ruin one of my wife's almost favorite pieces of clothing by doing the laundry. Haven't had to touch the chore since.

:devil:
Reepicheep
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Reepicheep »

You should check out Mr. Scott's other posts, they are of equal quality.

I had to stop myself short from sending him an email on some of my own parenting nightmares.

BTW, I thought that Quinn's "Piper's Despair" was a guide to the first years of marriage... guess I was wrong.
"... when I can swim no longer, if I have not reached Aslan's country, or shot over the edge of the world in some vast cataract, I shall sink with my nose to the sunrise..."
benwalker

Post by benwalker »

"Honestly Darling, I put the wind cap back on as carefully as I could. It just slipped".

Honeymoon Reed Trauma (HRT) :)
Sippin water of a spoon

www.benwalker.org