Do you believe in the existence of reed fairies

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.

Do you believe in the existence of reed fairies

Yes
57%
No
11%
Considering the possibility
18%
Considering booking into the local nuthouse
14%

Total votes: 28

glands
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by glands »

Lewis, get out of the medical profession...your true calling is as a landscape artist and author. Not to mention a darn good piper.
Hey Snoogie. Thanks for noticing the painting, writing, and the pipering. Look for an excerpt from my travel journal/book being prepared for publication in the next Pipers Review. It'll consist of one days journal entry, a B&W of a painting inspired by the trip, and a tune I learned from Neillidh Mulligan in Ireland that I had transcribed by Kynch O'Kaine.

I have ascertained that you are definately one of the outrightly insane pipers
You are correct in your ascertainment. Most would agree that I need psychiatric help...they just don't agree as to why...most having different firmly held opinions regarding many aspects of my behavior and personality. :lol:

The story above just came to me sitting here reading thru the responses to the poll. Many of you know that I consider bridle crafting and placement as the most mysterious and least understood of all the aspects of reedmaking. I figure it will be a good while before I can reliably make good reeds work when one considers that I have some fair amount of difficulty placing bridles on great reeds made by Benedict Koehler. Of course, he takes the reed in question, wraps a piece of copper around it without fuss or apparent forethought, and presto....perfect.....until I foul it up that is.
Joseph E. Smith
antispam: No

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

goldy wrote:Oh, by the way... after reading your tale, I have ascertained that you are definately one of the outrightly insane pipers so you can expect to be contacted when my proposed study has abtained funding approval from the Ethics Board :D (we might be able to arrange some follow-up treatment to cure you of your illness too!).
NO NO NO no no no no no no no no no no !!!! Pick MMMEEEEEEEEEE!!!!
benwalker

Post by benwalker »

Here she is: The reed Fairy

She also has an advice column on reed problems and runs a drop in service for those pipers suffering from

"Reed trauma" or "Post Reed Traumatic Stress Disorder"

Make a wish guys and Gals........ but only one. Dont get Greedy now
AlanB
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by AlanB »

OMG (as they say on the internets). Is that one of them shop dummies that shoot you? Same episode that had the teddy thing that came to life in the heat? and even the chair that eats people? (Talking 'bout your avatar)

Alan
benwalker

Post by benwalker »

You mean this

Killer chairs and homicidal daffodils..... Classic Pertwee.

Am I a Sad Git or what :boggle:
Thies

Post by Thies »

Even though I haven't entered yet this darkest side of the darker arts of evil musics, I believe truely in magic and faries with reedmaking. I was browsing our local library and found the following two proofs for the theory:

... and from further readings we have to assume that already in the Old Ages there must have been magic involved in this matters:

If anyone is interested in hardcopies of the two mentioned publications, please provide me with further time, salary and enough liquid brain fuels to keep the mastermind running. Full-set and flat-sets donations are also welcome. Happy reading! :wink:
snoogie

Post by snoogie »

More proof for the existance of the reed fairies...I was hoping they looked more like this however... :boggle:

benwalker

Post by benwalker »

Instead we get this :o

David Lim

Post by David Lim »

Hey,

Before I went to bed last night I carefully wrapped my chanter reed in tissue and put it under my pillow.

When I woke this morning I found it had gone!!

In it's place was a copy of Forty Years of Irish Piping and a tube cane that feels just right.

I'm delighted.

It might be worth someone else giving this a try.

David
Joseph E. Smith

David Lim wrote:Hey,

Before I went to bed last night I carefully wrapped my chanter reed in tissue and put it under my pillow.

When I woke this morning I found it had gone!!

In it's place was a copy of Forty Years of Irish Piping and a tube cane that feels just right.

I'm delighted.

It might be worth someone else giving this a try.

David
I tried it, and all I got was a bunch of splinters, a brass tube and a mess of knotted waxed hemp all swimming in a puddle of stinky drool..........dammit!!!
benwalker

Post by benwalker »

Joseph, that's because you were a bad boy and used foul and naughty language!
Wash your mouth out you dirty boy! :wink:
Sippin water of a spoon

www.benwalker.org
Brian Lee
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Brian Lee »

Joseph E. Smith wrote:I tried it, and all I got was a bunch of splinters, a brass tube and a mess of knotted waxed hemp all swimming in a puddle of stinky drool..........dammit!!!
Double Damn! I found all I had was the puddle of drool! I think my girlfriend has found it, and consequently burned all arundo to be found in my house, and within a 100 mile radius - while scowling all the way. She is definitely NOT the reed fairy. ;)
goldy

Post by goldy »

What have I started here? - Please God!...make it stop.

Joseph,
Of course you can be included in the study - you're my no. 1 loony tune that I believe is most in need of treatment. Although, please be aware that the ethics board are likely to decline my proposal for using electric shock therapy in the most extreme cases, thereby forcing me to take the study underground. In doing so, there will be no funding so I will have to remove those expensive consultations with medical experts on tollerable voltage levels for humans and the professional supervision associated with the procedure. To avoid accidentally being the person responsible for another man's death, I'd be using volunteers to administer the shocks and I don't know if they'd stop when voltage levels got too high since screening for sadist volunteers would be too time consuming. Your agreement to take part in this study knowing what you now know is the first test I am giving you to determine your level of insanity (statistical analysts have predicted a probability rating of 98.2% that you will still be keen to get involved and a 99.9% probability that you will gladly volunteer to administer the shocks on yourself to those voltage levels that I would have an ethical objection to being administered) :D .
We could learn a lot from crayons. Some are sharp, some are pretty and some are dull. Some have weird names, and all are different colors, but they all manage to live in the same box.
Joseph E. Smith

OOOOOOOooooh, lovely. I'll do it for a yummy bit of moldy cheese *POIT ZORT!!*

NNNAARRRFFFF!!!

http://www.deathboy.com/acme/3men.wav
djm

Post by djm »

Goldy wrote:I'd be using volunteers to administer the shocks
Oo! Oo! ME!!! PICK MEEEEEE!!!!

I got a hump .... :boggle:

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.