hello from a new Irish member

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Cailin Gaelach
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Cailin Gaelach »

Many thanks for all your very kind words of welcome!
Cailin Gaelach
Lambchop
antispam: No

Post by Lambchop »

Yes, welcome, Cailin!
Cotelette d'Agneau
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

Hi Cailin. I have a few wooden whistles. My favourites are my Busman high D and my Grinter low F.

I have what used to be a full set of Abells: F, Eb, D, C, Bb, A. I also have a Thin Weasel. They are all good whistles and some of them are not far behind my two favourites.

I think you would find that a Greenwood has a purer sound than a Busman which has just a bit of rasp.

BTW, I also play concertina. Quite a few of us do.
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

I got wood. And very nice it is too, ta very much!

Phil Bleazey makes wooden whistles on this side of the pond, might be worth asking about those? His low D gets a particularly fond review from IdaWhoa... :)
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
avanutria
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

Cailin Gaelach wrote:Hi Ava, thats a co-incidence - I play the concertina as well! Though not nearly as well as I play the whistle. In fact i bought my concertina at the Willie Clancy week last year! I might go this year, though my whistle teacher gives classes at the "Willie Week" too! His name's Peter Phelan - I'm sure some of you have come across him at classes!
I'm from Dublin...... so there's a choice of plenty of music classes and sessions here! But I mostly practice at home and only go to sessions occasionally. My favourite metal whistle is the Sindt, but now I'm interested in wood, so am saving to buy a couple of wooden ones!
Cailin Gaelach
Hi Cailin -

I have indeed met Peter, both in Dublin and in Miltown. My cousin who lives in Dublin brought me to a CCE session there when I visited in June of 2003, and Peter gave me some quick tips on whsitle. He seemed quite dismayed that I begain playing at about 18 rather than 8.

If you happen to hear of any anglo concertina instructors over here in London, would you let me know? I've yet to find one, though I've only been here for a few months.
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

Cailin Gaelach wrote:Hi Ava, thats a co-incidence - I play the concertina as well! Though not nearly as well as I play the whistle. In fact i bought my concertina at the Willie Clancy week last year! I might go this year, though my whistle teacher gives classes at the "Willie Week" too! His name's Peter Phelan - I'm sure some of you have come across him at classes!
I'm from Dublin...... so there's a choice of plenty of music classes and sessions here! But I mostly practice at home and only go to sessions occasionally. My favourite metal whistle is the Sindt, but now I'm interested in wood, so am saving to buy a couple of wooden ones!
Cailin Gaelach
Peter Phelan is THE MAN!

He was the major leader at some sessions in the basement of, err, I forget the name of the pub, wowing Azalin and MurphyStout, and his rendition of Troy's Wedding is awesome!

I wonder if he ever invested in a very small bore Susato? He tried mine, and said he liked it a lot more than the normal Susatos.

I'll be at WC 2005 Cailin, in fiddle format!
Butterfly

Post by Butterfly »

Welcome, Cailin!
Roger O'Keeffe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Roger O'Keeffe »

Fáilte isteach.

Just stay away from the Political Thread and you'll be OK.

If you know how, you could instead post a photo of yourself on the Legendary Behemoth CP thread, where shameless self-promotion is not discouraged.

Since most Irish people seem to end up in Brussels, if only for a few days, at some point in their careers, get in touch if the West Wind ever blows you hither.
An Pluiméir Ceolmhar
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

Cailin Gaelach wrote:Many thanks for all your very kind words of welcome!
Cailin Gaelach
Although I can't help wondering if the welcomes would've been as profuse if the handle had been Buachaill Gaelach...? :)
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

GaryKelly wrote: Although I can't help wondering if the welcomes would've been as profuse if the handle had been Buachaill Gaelach...? :)
Oh yeah..?

Slan,
D. :P
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
Jeff Stallard

Post by Jeff Stallard »

Cailin Gaelach wrote:Go raibh maith agat Redwolf, tá súil agam go mbionn sibh ag casadh ceol álainn Gaelach thall i Santa Cruz!
Did he just say my brother drives a pickle wagon and my sister wears combat boots?!?!

:really:
"Reality is the computer hardware, and religions are the operating systems: abstractions that allow us to interact with, and draw meaning from, a reality that would otherwise be incomprehensible."
amar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

Jeff Stallard wrote:
Cailin Gaelach wrote:Go raibh maith agat Redwolf, tá súil agam go mbionn sibh ag casadh ceol álainn Gaelach thall i Santa Cruz!
Did he just say my brother drives a pickle wagon and my sister wears combat boots?!?!

no, i think the literal translation would be more along the lines of:
'my nipples explode with delight.' (curiously said in a hungarian accent)
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

Jeff Stallard wrote:

SHE said:

Thank you, Redwolf, I hope you (all) are [making? "ag casadh" nó "ag déanamh?"] beautiful Irish music out there in Santa Cruz.

Apologies if I got that a bit off...I've only been studying for about a year...but that's the gist.

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
amar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

Redwolf wrote:
Jeff Stallard wrote:

SHE said:

Thank you, Redwolf, I hope you (all) are [making? "ag casadh" nó "ag déanamh?"] beautiful Irish music out there in Santa Cruz.

Apologies if I got that a bit off...I've only been studying for about a year...but that's the gist.

Redwolf
pah, what a laugh. my translation is much closer.
OnTheMoor

Post by OnTheMoor »

:lol:

Welcome Cailin, have fun.