good source for whistling CDs

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
WhistlingGypsy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by WhistlingGypsy »

jkrazy52 wrote:claddagh = cluh-DAH? Wow ... I wasn't even close! Guess gaelic lessons should be my next hobby. :wink:
That's not even close either - the proper pronunciation for Claddagh is kläda - almost as it is written really - the 'gh' is silent. Here is a link with the proper pronunciation.

http://www.bartleby.com/61/4/C0380450.html
Cheers Image
Gerry
Think before you Think before you Post!
OnTheMoor

Post by OnTheMoor »

Thanks alot blackhawk... now just send me a cheque so I can start buying.
Will O'B
Location: The Other Side Of The Glen (i.e. A Long Way From Tipperary)

Post by Will O'B »

blackhawk wrote: I know, the version by MacGrainna of Coinleach Ghlas an Fhómhair has a lot of reverb, but I still love the way he plays on that clip, and it has given me the incentive to get the ornamentation right on that tune.
That's pretty strange, Darvis. I was just listening to my Clannad 2 CD that I got in Ireland last summer and thinking how much I liked their version of Coinleach Ghlas an Fhomair. It's not an instrumental -- they sing the air in Irish with accompanyment. It's beautiful. Anyway I was thinking how much I'd like to learn to play the air and then I came across your post. Do you know where sheet music can be found for this? Or is this something that you're doing by ear?

Also, how do you get your computer to do the markings over the Gaelic letters when you type?

Thanks,

Will O'Ban
So long as men can breathe, or eyes can see,
So long lives this, and this gives life to thee.

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!
blackhawk
antispam: No

Post by blackhawk »

Will O'B wrote:
blackhawk wrote: I know, the version by MacGrainna of Coinleach Ghlas an Fhómhair has a lot of reverb, but I still love the way he plays on that clip, and it has given me the incentive to get the ornamentation right on that tune.
That's pretty strange, Darvis. I was just listening to my Clannad 2 CD that I got in Ireland last summer and thinking how much I liked their version of Coinleach Ghlas an Fhomair. It's not an instrumental -- they sing the air in Irish with accompanyment. It's beautiful. Anyway I was thinking how much I'd like to learn to play the air and then I came across your post. Do you know where sheet music can be found for this? Or is this something that you're doing by ear?
Will, I can play most songs if I can learn the words, which isn't an option here (for me). If it were in English this would be a great one to learn by ear, since it's beautiful and slow. But I learned it from Ireland's 110 Best Slow Airs (Mel Bay), page 17, tune #25. It's also in Traditional Slow Airs of Ireland by Tomas O'Canainn, page 16, tune #9.
Also, how do you get your computer to do the markings over the Gaelic letters when you type?
It takes a lot of wrist action, skill, experience, and years of practice.

Okay, actually I cut and pasted directly from the Claddagh (which I can't pronounce at all, I'm finding out) website to avoid spelling errors. :D
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which is least known--Montaigne

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

:)
Last edited by blackhawk on Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
Will O'B
Location: The Other Side Of The Glen (i.e. A Long Way From Tipperary)

Post by Will O'B »

blackhawk wrote: But I learned it from Ireland's 110 Best Slow Airs (Mel Bay), page 17, tune #25.
Thanks. You are absolutely correct. I have the book and I was looking at it over the weekend. I don't know how I missed that tune. :boggle:
blackhawk wrote:It takes a lot of wrist action, skill, experience, and years of practice.

Okay, actually I cut and pasted directly from the Claddagh (which I can't pronounce at all, I'm finding out) website to avoid spelling errors. :D
Very funny! :D

Will O'Ban
So long as men can breathe, or eyes can see,
So long lives this, and this gives life to thee.

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!
TomB

Post by TomB »

amar wrote:[rats..
Amar, wrong thread.

Tom
"Consult the Book of Armaments"
susnfx

Post by susnfx »

I like Carmel Gunning very much. I've got her Lakes of Sligo CD and listen to it frequently. Some lovely singing (English) on a few tunes, mostly great whistling (subtle guitar accompaniment).

Susan
colomon
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Post by colomon »

I'm not that wild about Carmel's singing, but her whistling is fantastic.
Sol's Tunes (new tune 2/2020)
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

There is no doubt that Clannad do a magnificent version of Coinleach Ghlas An Fhomhair but it does sadden me slightly when the credit for the famous guitar intro goes to them and not Michael O'Domhnaill.
Check out the version recorded by Michael and fiddler Kevin Burke on their 1979 album "Promenade"...

Sorry to be a bit picky but credit where it is due and all that...

Slan,
D.
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

dubhlinn wrote:There is no doubt that Clannad do a magnificent version of Coinleach Ghlas An Fhomhair but it does sadden me slightly when the credit for the famous guitar intro goes to them and not Michael O'Domhnaill.
Check out the version recorded by Michael and fiddler Kevin Burke on their 1979 album "Promenade"...

Sorry to be a bit picky but credit where it is due and all that...

Slan,
D.
Absolutely, D. I hadn't heard this before, so I'm glad you brought it up.

--Plato
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

susnfx wrote:I like Carmel Gunning very much. I've got her Lakes of Sligo CD and listen to it frequently. Some lovely singing (English) on a few tunes, mostly great whistling (subtle guitar accompaniment).

Susan
Carmel is on the Late Session next sunday night

http://www.rte.ie/radio1/thelatesession/

Enjoy.

Slan,
D.
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats