Anyone wanna trade their M&E R&R for my Seery?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Jayhawk
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Anyone wanna trade their M&E R&R for my Seery?

Post by Jayhawk »

As per the subject, does anyone want to trade an M&E R&R for a delrin Seery? This is my much beloved Seery, but after acquiring my rosewood Sweetheart, I realized how the Seery's embouchure is difficult for me due to an injury to my lip as a child (I need a more oval embouchure than the Seery has). In contrast, the M&E R&R embouchure is much more like the sweetheart flute embouchure.

The Seery is in perfect shape, comes with a cavallero roll, and sounds great.

So the offer is a straight up trade with each paying postage and insurance.

PM or email me if interested.

Eric
Henke

Post by Henke »

Ahh, too bad I didn't keep the keyless R&R when I got my keyed one, I sent mine back to Michael and only paid for the keys. I would have loved to get a Seery as well. How much would you want if you sold it?
Last edited by Henke on Sun Jan 16, 2005 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

Henke - that is too bad. The trade would be the ideal thing for me - otherwise I'd have to order an M&E from Michael, wait for it and possibly pay import taxes. I'm not in any rush, so hopefully someone will have an urge to try the other side of the polymer world...

Eric
bang
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by bang »

is the M&E R&R as sleek and lightweight as a Seery? the original M&E is relatively large & heavy vs Seery.

also fwiw, you might consider one of Jon C's R&R based flutes in delrin. mine is amazingly good, quite sleek, very reasonable $, & "made in the USA".

enjoy! /dan
Henke

Post by Henke »

The M&E R&R is quite heavy with thick walls. However, I don't have any problems with playing it for extended periods, even after I got 5 solid silver keys fitted on it. The keys are quite heavy aswell, but I don't think it weights too much for comfort, rather it gives a very sturdy feeling.
bang

Post by bang »

Henke wrote:The M&E R&R is quite heavy with thick walls. [...]I don't think it weights too much for comfort, rather it gives a very sturdy feeling.
i agree that my original M&E is not too heavy, and the higher inertia vs other flutes gives it a nice, solid feel in the hands. it did take me longer to develop the necessary strength to play the M&E comfortably. personally i enjoy the extra bit of ease when playing lighter flutes. if the light weight & feel of a Seery is important, a heavier M&E might be less desirable.

i also wonder if the thicker walls on an M&E R&R affect the "Rudall sound" much. my original M&E, which has a significantly smaller bore than R&R flutes and consequently deeper toneholes, seems perhaps more Rudally than Rudall - i.e. darker, thicker toned. i quite like it's sound for some things, but it seems to go to one extreme of the sonic spectrum.

but, that's an original M&E, & i am but a speculating newbie, so this is perhaps OT & very fwiw.

enjoy! /dan
Jayhawk

Post by Jayhawk »

Offer for the Seery/M&E R&R trade is still open.

Eric
Jack Bradshaw

Post by Jack Bradshaw »

Unfortuatelllly...the M&E R&Rs tend to be keepers (you can have my flute when you take it from my cold, dead fingers..etc) You need to do a fair amount of detective work to track down a used one (Yes it's the only flute I ever had to buy new..)

Much as I wouldn't mind having a Seery around, the M&E has built up too much of a barroom history not to keep it around for illustrations....besides the thing plays better (my opinion anyway)

What did M. Eskin do with the one he was reveiwing when they first came out ?...
603/329-7322
"I fail to see why doing the same thing over and over and getting the
same results every time is insanity: I've almost proved it isn't;
only a few more tests now and I'm sure results will differ this time ... "
Henke

Post by Henke »

The only chance that I would have parted with an M&E is if I had two M&E R&R's, which I had for nearly two weeks, then I had to send the keyless one back...
eilam

Post by eilam »

thats funny Henke, because I got a keyed one from Michael, which played really nice, but I realized that there is no way that I would part from my keyless, so I send the keyed one back, I was not 100% happy with the keys too (but they were deferent then what you have on your flute).
I did buy a Seery, and was not happy with it, and returned it, but that one may have been an odd ball - the work was so crude, like it was made in 15 minutes or less.
Jayhawk

Post by Jayhawk »

Eilam - when did you buy that Seery? Mine is extremely well made. Larry the woodenflute.com webkeeper when I told him I was playing a delrin Seery, asked to see it, took of his glasses to stare intently, and stated that he couldn't tell it wasn't wood and that the craftsmanship was first rate (he plays a Grinter).

So...does that entice anyone to want and trade?

For all you M&E R&R junkies, please stare intently in a mirror and repeat..."I do want to try a Seery, I do want to try a Seery...".

Thanks for your support,

Eric
eilam

Post by eilam »

Eric, it was quite a few years ago, maybe 6 or 5? years later, I was told that around that time, there was a death in the family, that may explain the fact that the flute was poorly made?
Don't get me wrong, I really want a Seery, and am keeping an eye for a used one, but my M&E is one of my favorite flutes to play, and a have quite a few flutes that cost a number of times more.
Jayhawk

Post by Jayhawk »

Eilam - I can tell from your defiant tone that you did not spend sufficient time in front of the mirror... :D

Eric
eilam

Post by eilam »

Eric, I'm not quite sure what you are saying, I hope you know that I was not down talking Seery flutes in general, but if you were trying to insult me, you hit it right on, looking in the mirror at times can really hurt.
anyway - did not mean to hurt your feelings.
eilam.
Jayhawk

Post by Jayhawk »

Eilam - I was only joking - a post or two above I was suggesting self hypnotic techniques for M&E owners to convince themselves they want to trade their much loved instruments. No offense intended...

Eric