Buying pipes across borders.

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
PJ
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Buying pipes across borders.

Post by PJ »

I'm shopping for a half-set at present. Budget is a big consideration and taxes, customs/excise duties, sales taxes, etc., risk to take a chunk out of my available funds.

I'm based in Canada and will most likely buy from US. Does anyone have any experience of importing instruments? Does it make a difference that the instrument is new or used? Any idea of how much it costs? (Legal) ways to mitigate the tax?

Looking forward to reading the replies.

P
djm
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by djm »

Its easier to buy Canadian. You will definitely be dinged at the boarder for customs. New or used has no bearing on the matter. Musical instruments being imported are heavily taxed.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Calum

Post by Calum »

Pardon my ignorance, but don't you New Worlders have this NAFTA thing? Or was my geography teacher just winding me up? Hard to believe he fooled the Economist as well...
djm

Post by djm »

:lol: :lol: NAFTA :lol: :lol:

Take a look at the WTO procedings for the last several years and you will see that the US has no concept of what a trade agreement is, other than something to be followed only when you can screw the other guy.

djm
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

NAFTA doesn't affect sales taxes and certain customs duties. Otherwise it would be a free-for-all.

I know some people who have bought flutes, guitars, etc., in US and had them shipped to Canada to be met with a bill of 15% from the Customs. I know others who have shipped instruments and not payed anything (but don't know why).
PJ

Post by PJ »

The US is not what worries me. To my knowledge, there is no tax on exporting instruments.

I don't want this post to turn into US-bashing. I just want to know if anyone has any personal experience of importing an instrument, and if so, what are the pitfalls.
djm

Post by djm »

I have imported instruments. I have been nailed for customs and duties, e.g. $120.00 on an $800.00 flute. I have imported whistles and not had to pay anything. I have imported books, CDs and DVDs, sometimes paying duty, sometimes not. It seems to depend on whether they select your parcel for inspection or not - totally random. I have not been able to discern any pattern. This has nothing to do with US-bashing. It is about the vagaries of dealing with Canada Customs.

djm
PJ

Post by PJ »

Thanks DJM. That's what I thought.

P
bradhurley

Post by bradhurley »

I bought a new flute in Vermont last year, and since I'm a frequent border crosser (and had to provide a complete inventory of my belongings to Canada Customs when I emigrated here in 2002), I declared the flute when I crossed the border with it, and filled out the forms. They charged me GST and QST (provincial sales tax), which of course is a hefty chunk of change on a US $2500 flute, but at least it's legal and I have the paperwork to prove it if a customs agent ever challenges me on it (which they have in the past). There was no other "duty" involved, just the normal sales taxes I would have paid if I had bought the flute here in Canada.

On two occasions I have had customs inspectors ask me about my flute when inspecting my car at the border; they let me go but said that by rights they could have assumed that I was importing it and could charge me taxes each time I returned to Canada unless I could provide some paperwork. So I think it's a good idea to play it safe and legal, unless you don't plan to ever take your pipes out of Canada.
wharfedalecarving

Post by wharfedalecarving »

Excuse my ignorance on the vagaries of US & Canadian Customs & Excise but if you bought "privately" and the seller stated on the postal paper work that the pipes he/she was sending you was for repair/refurbishment because "you" are an expert at repairs are you not?
This is purely hypothetical of course.
I did however hear of one thread quite some time ago on another forum where "pipes in pieces" are classed as spare parts and therefore not subject to the same import tariffs.
The above is not advice by the way and is purely conjecture to a hypothetical question is it not :wink: ?
Joseph.
Jim McGuire

Post by Jim McGuire »

If a set is send 'For Repair', Customs expects it to be re-exported withing one year or else duty will be due.

Sending parts sound like that MASH episode where Radar was mailing home a jeep part by part. In the case of parts for pipes, the parts should still equal the whole as far as Customs is concerned.
PJ

Post by PJ »

Honesty is probably the best policy. That and having a receipt for the sales tax every time I cross the border to go to a Tionol or go home to Ireland.

Thanks for the advice.

PJ
Patrick D'Arcy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Patrick D'Arcy »

Two words: Joe Kennedy http://www.kennedysuilleannpipes.com/

Patrick.
PJ

Post by PJ »

I've already considered it. Joe's lead time is now 3 years. His stock is rising as a pipemaker. He's made some reeds for me which I like. I also like the look of his delux half sets. The down side is Joe's lead time is now 3 years. I was hoping to have my half set by the end of 2005.

There are a few US makers who can deliver in that time (Gallagher, Whitmer, Boisvert). In addition, there are more second hand sets coming up for sale in US that anywhere else.

The other factor is the weak US dollar which makes buying from US much more attractive. For example, a half set by Gallagher would cost me CA$4,000 today (tax inc.), compared with CA$4,800 this time last year.
Jim McGuire

Post by Jim McGuire »

Brad Angus, Bruce Childress might be able to assist you in 2005.
Last edited by Jim McGuire on Wed Jan 19, 2005 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.