Seery Keywork

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Jayhawk
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Seery Keywork

Post by Jayhawk »

I don't think I've heard anyone comment on Desi Seery's keywork before. I'm most likely going to send my delrin keyless for 1-4 keys (if I can ever make up my mind what I really want/need), but I realized I don't think I've ever heard anyone comment on the looks and functionality of his keys.

Thanks,

Eric
Henke

Post by Henke »

The only thing I remember hearing about his keys is that they are mighty expensive, like Grinter deluxe expensive or something like that :boggle: If your Seery is really woth that, I better get one... :)
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

When I called his workshop, and spoke with someone there, the price was 100 euro per key. I believe he makes his own keys, so that seems pretty reasonable to me.

And yes, my Seery is worth it - it's simply a wonderful instrument for everything from ITM to ragtime to classical.

Eric
rh

Post by rh »

Jayhawk wrote:When I called his workshop, and spoke with someone there, the price was 100 euro per key. I believe he makes his own keys, so that seems pretty reasonable to me.
Hammy's charging 235 euro per key (postmounted), and AFAIK he's considered to have very reasonable prices.
there is no end to the walking
Henke

Post by Henke »

oh, ok. So maybe I was wrong then... :)
Jayhawk

Post by Jayhawk »

Just an update - I spoke with Desi Seery himself today. Very nice man. He is charging 100 Euro per key - I just wanted to completely resolve the price issue by talking to the man himself. Payment in euros/bankcheck only.

Eric
AaronMalcomb

Post by AaronMalcomb »

When are good times to call the Seery workshop? I have questions about prices on alternative-wood flutes that email correspondences haven't answered.

Cheers,
Aaron
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

AaronMalcomb wrote:When are good times to call the Seery workshop? I have questions about prices on alternative-wood flutes that email correspondences haven't answered.

Cheers,
Aaron
9am-5pm Ireland local time (remember Ireland is 8 hours ahead of you).

Kevin Krell
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
AaronMalcomb

Post by AaronMalcomb »

Thanks, Kevin.
Jayhawk

Post by Jayhawk »

I caught him around 3:30 his time. He really is a talker as Kevin once said. We had a nice discussion about keys in general, whether or not I'd played a keyed flute before (his said many folks end up not liking keys after they get them if they're accustomed to a keyless flute), how to ship to Ireland, etc.

Eric
Leonard
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Leonard »

Just another upgrade:

I talked to Mr Seery yesterday. Yes he's a really nice man. A funny man too!

His keys are 100 euros, except for the long ones (F and C) witch are 150 euros.

So I'm having 6 keys added to mine!!

Be sure I'll take pictures and post then on the forum!

Leo
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

That should be one awesome flute!

Please do post pics...

--James
Doc Jones

Post by Doc Jones »

Leonard wrote:Just another upgrade:

I talked to Mr Seery yesterday. Yes he's a really nice man. A funny man too!

His keys are 100 euros, except for the long ones (F and C) witch are 150 euros.

So I'm having 6 keys added to mine!!

Be sure I'll take pictures and post then on the forum!

Leo
Hey Eric & Leonard did you ever get this done?

Doc
Jayhawk

Post by Jayhawk »

Hi Doc,

no, I didn't get my Seery keyed. I was close, but ended up buying a rosewood sweetheart 4 key from Ben (a boardmember - but I don't think he has been around much lately) for less than it would have cost me to get 4 keys added to the Seery (with overseas postage added that is).

I'd been playing the sweetheart exclusively for 3 months or so until I caught the flu two weeks ago...so I broke out the Seery to play for short periods when I wasn't coughing. It's still a great flute which I'd kind of forgotten since I was so smitten with my sweetheart.

I'm going to keep it as my travel/lunch break flute. In fact, it's in my backpack today...but the weather didn't cooperate so I couldn't get outside to play during lunch break today.

If I had a spare $500 laying around, I'd get the 4 short keys added in a heartbeat, but I don't...

Eric
Leonard

Post by Leonard »

Doc Jones...

I sent my Seery to have 6 keys added ... like a month ago...and just waiting to receive it!

Actually it could be in the mail right now!!

Be sure I'll send pictures and comments as soon as I get it!

Leo