mouth-whistling

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
amar
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

mouth-whistling

Post by amar »

a question here, i whistle by mouth very often, all the time actually, and i can whistle pretty well too. Now, when i whistle something, no matter what it is (except classical music), i catch myself whistling all the tunes or or melodies "irish-style", meaning, i put in taps, cuts, rolls, slides, etc. I make everything sound kind of irtrad. :lol:

anyone else do that?
GaryKelly
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by GaryKelly »

You're a strange and complex fellow, Swiss-dood, and no mistake! Image
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
BrassBlower
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by BrassBlower »

Does it carry over into your whistle playing in such a way that the ornamentation shows up without you having to move a finger?
https://www.facebook.com/4StringFantasy

I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.

-Galileo
amar

Post by amar »

BrassBlower wrote:Does it carry over into your whistle playing in such a way that the ornamentation shows up without you having to move a finger?
:) unfortunately not, but i does help me decide where i want to add an ornamentation, which of course isn't as easy doing it with my fingers as with my mouth. :)
the strange thing is, i am not good at making ornamentations by tongue on the whistle (well, like tonguing notes, all that other stuff that finnegan does) eventhough i do that very much when mouth-whistling.
life is full of riddles.
:wink:

maybe i'll add a mouth whistle-clip once on the clips and snips. :D
Danner

Post by Danner »

I mouth whistle all the time. (Much to the annoyance of everyone around me.) When I'm whistling ITM stuff I stick in the ITM ornaments, but on other stuff I add in ornaments appropriate to the style. (Grace notes in classical, glissandos and accents in pep band, etc.)
"'Tis deeds, not blood, which determine the worth of a being." -Dennis L. McKiernan
amar

Post by amar »

you see gary, i'm not the only strange and complex fellow around here. :D
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

Not only do I insert the ornamentation, I've learned to whistle in tune! Before I could whistle notes that resembled the 'true pitch' the way a cartoon character resembles a real cat....but over 4 years of tin whistling, my mouth whistling tunes are recognizable.
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
norseman

Post by norseman »

I was going to start a thread on this on the flute forum. I'm a pretty good mouth whistler, and I was able to pick up flute playing pretty easily at least as far as getting a good solid tone. I imagine that since you use many of the same little muscles for flute playing as for mouth whistling, it might be good training.

Bob
Failure is NOT an option - it comes bundled with the software.
Daniel_Bingamon

Post by Daniel_Bingamon »

When I whistle by mouth, I make strange sound effects that sound like fax machines.

Actually I do a number of sounds, including ornamentation. I think mouth sounds sound more like occarinas than whistles.
Email - YouTube - Ebay - Website $28 Low-D
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

Bing Crosby could whistle really well...although he would croon his whistling rather than "Irish" his whistling.
Oh, and to answer the question, I can't whistle a note :roll:
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
Lambchop

Re: mouth-whistling

Post by Lambchop »

amar wrote:a question here, i whistle by mouth very often, all the time actually, and i can whistle pretty well too. Now, when i whistle something, no matter what it is (except classical music), i catch myself whistling all the tunes or or melodies "irish-style", meaning, i put in taps, cuts, rolls, slides, etc. I make everything sound kind of irtrad. :lol:

anyone else do that?
I whistle all the time, as well, am completely unaware that I'm doing it, and it's pretty good. It's likely the reason I live alone. :oops:

It seems that I've been doing the Irtrad ornamentation since childhood, and have no idea where I learned it. Probably from my dad. Upon learning the flute and whistle ornamentation, I was surprised to see that it was something I already knew and . . . even more surprising, that it was something anyone would think to actually teach. (After all, doesn't EVERYONE do it?)
Cotelette d'Agneau
Flyingcursor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

Me too. I've been mouth whistling since I was a wee lad. It helps also in figuring out how I want to play something. It's like having a portable built in instrument. Maybe we should start a mouth whistle band.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
amar

Post by amar »

Flyingcursor wrote:Me too. I've been mouth whistling since I was a wee lad. It helps also in figuring out how I want to play something. It's like having a portable built in instrument. Maybe we should start a mouth whistle band.
me too. i'll join you. :D