movie quotes

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Feadan
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Feadan »

Life of Brian______

Brian: Look, you've got it all wrong! You don't need to follow me; you don't need to follow anybody! You've got to think for yourselves! You're all individuals!

Crowd: Yes, we're all individuals!

Brian: You're all different!

Crowd: Yes, we are all different!

Man: I'm not.

Crowd: Shhh!
aderyn_du

Post by aderyn_du »

Feadan wrote:Life of Brian______

Brian: Look, you've got it all wrong! You don't need to follow me; you don't need to follow anybody! You've got to think for yourselves! You're all individuals!

Crowd: Yes, we're all individuals!

Brian: You're all different!

Crowd: Yes, we are all different!

Man: I'm not.

Crowd: Shhh!

:lol: :lol: That's one of my favorite ones too.
Dale
The Landlord
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Dale »

jbarter wrote:
Loren wrote:"The things we own, end up owning us."

Fight Club
I thought we weren't supposed to talk about it.

The first rule of Chiff & Fipple: Don't talk about Chiff & Fipple.
amar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

my signature line. :)
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

From "Chinatown" (Roman Polanski 1974);

You see, Mr. Gitts, most people never have to face the fact. At the right time and the right place, they're capable of ... anything!

Slan,
D.
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
runs_with_scissors

Post by runs_with_scissors »

From "Scarface" with Al Pacino:

"Let me introduce you to my little friend"
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

Let's get some older movies in here for us older folk:

"Goodness, what beautiful diamonds!" "Goodness had nothing to do with it, dearie." (Mae West, "Night After Night")

"We'll begin with a reign of terror - a few murders here and there. Murders of great men, murders of little men. Just to show we make no distinction." (Claude Rains, 'The Invisible Man")

"Have you got any milk-fed chickens?" (Waiter replies, "Yes sir") Well, squeeze the milk out of one and bring me a glass." (Groucho Marx, "A Night AT The Opera")

"I was in love with a beautiful blond once. She drove me to drink. Tis the one thing I'm indebted to her for." (W.C. Fields, "Never Give a Sucker an Even Break")

"I killed him for money and for a woman. And I didn't get the money and I didn't get the woman. Pretty, isn't it?" Fred MacMurray, "Double Indemnity")

"If I'd been a ranch, they would have named me the Bar Nothing." (Rita HAyworth, "Gilda")

"I am more interested in the Rock of Ages than I am in the age of rocks." (Fredric March, "Inherit the Wind")

Getting to the nmore recent:

"Do you expect me to talk? No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die." ("Goldfinger")

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here, this is the war room!" (Peter Sellers, "Dr. Strangelove")

"It took me three hours to figure out F.U. was Felix Unger. It's not your fault, Felix; it's a rotten combination, that's all." (Walter Mathau, "The Odd Couple")

"I know what you're thinking. Did he fire six shots or only five? Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement, I've kind of lost track myself. But being as this is a .44 magnum, the most apowerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?" (Clint Eastwood, "Dirty Harry")

"You talking to me? You talking to me? You talking to me? Well, who the hell else are you talking to? You talking to me? Well, I'm the only one here. Who the f--k do you think you're talking to?" (Robert DeNiro, "Taxi Driver")

"I think that the problem may have been that there was a Stonehenge monument on the stage that was in danger of being crushed by a dwarf. That tended to understate the hugeness of the object." (Michael McKean, "This Is Spinal Tap")

(Billy Crystal, "City Slickers") "Hi, Curly, kill anyone today?" (Jack Palance replies) "Day ain't over yet."

"A census taker once tried to test me. I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice Chianti." (Anthony Hopkins, "Hannibal Lecter")

"Well, I guess they had it comin'" "We all have it comin', kid." Jaimz Woolvet and Clint Eastwood, "Unforgiven")

"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist." (Kevin Spacey, "The Usual Suspects")

Philo

"Hey, Johnny, what are you rebelling against?" "What've you got?" (Marlon Brando in "The Wild One.")[/i]
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
amar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

[quote="PhilO"]
"A census taker once tried to test me. I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice Chianti ftftftftftftft" (Anthony Hopkins, "Hannibal Lecter")
glauber

Post by glauber »

"Here's looking at you, kid!" (Casablanca) (What the heck does that mean, anyway?)
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
Jeff Stallard

Post by Jeff Stallard »

There's one film that, in my mind, stands out as having the best quotes, because they're both clever and meaningful. It's "A River Runs Through it."

"My father was very sure about certain matters pertaining to the universe. To him, all good things - trout as well as eternal salvation - come by grace and grace comes by art and art does not come easy."

"It is a strange and wonderful and embarassing feeling to hold someone in your arms who is trying to detach you from the earth and you aren't good enough to follow her."

"One of life's quiet excitements is to stand somewhat apart from yourself and watch yourself softly becoming the author of something beautiful, even if it is only a floating ash."

"So it is that we can seldom help anybody. Either we don't know what part to give or maybe we don't like to give any part of ourselves. Then, more often than not, the part that is needed is not wanted. And even more often, we do not have the part that is needed."

"Big clumsy flies bumped into my face, swarmed on my nose and wiggled in my underwear. Blundering and soft-bellied, they had been bornbefore they had brains. They had spent a year under water on legs, had crawled out on a rock, had become flies and copulated with the ninth and tenth segments of their abdomens, and then had died as the first light wind blew them into the water where the fish circled excitedly. They were a fish's dream come true - stupid, succulent, and exhausted from copulation. Still, it would be hard to know what gigantic portion of human life is spent in this same ratio of years under water on legs to one premature exhausted moment on wings."

And one from "Casablanca":

"I've often speculated why you don't return to America. Did you abscond with the church funds? Run off with a senator's wife? I like to think you killed a man. It's the Romantic in me."
"Reality is the computer hardware, and religions are the operating systems: abstractions that allow us to interact with, and draw meaning from, a reality that would otherwise be incomprehensible."
tubafor

Post by tubafor »

Alright, being one of the few on the planet that really loved Mystery Men, here's my favorite from that movie...

The Shoveler: "We've got a blind date with Destiny, and it looks like she's ordered the lobster."

:)

Cal
"Vocatus, atque non vocatus, Deus aderit..."
------------------------------------------
Cal Olson
Whistles, Windsynth and other toys...
Hear samples from my CD "Angelica's Waltz" at:
www.myspace.com/praisewhistler
Sunnywindo

Post by Sunnywindo »

:boggle: There are soooo many good movie quotes... hard to narrow it down, but to add just a few to add to the list....

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne - The Shootist

"One man's life touches so many others, when he's not there it leaves an awfully big hole." Clarence - It's a Wonderful Life

And one favorite from Lord of the Rings is in my signature thing.... (acutally, that's directly quoted out of the book, but the same thing is said in the movie to...) :D

:) Sara
'I wish it need not have happend in my time,' said Frodo.
'So do I,' said Gandalf, 'and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.'

-LOTR-
suejnnhe

Post by suejnnhe »

Loren wrote:Inigo Montoya: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
Love that one!

From Joe Vs. the Volcano: "I have no response to that."
HeySue!
_________
Don't Panic!
BrassBlower

Post by BrassBlower »

From For a Few Dollars More:

Old Man: Where are you going?

Man with No Name (Clint Eastwood): Well, if there's gonna be any shooting, I'd better get my rest.
https://www.facebook.com/4StringFantasy

I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.

-Galileo
tcm

Post by tcm »

PhilO wrote:Let's get some older movies in here for us older folk:
Amen! How about Harvey:

Elwood P. Dowd: "Well, I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, doctor, and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it."

Dr. Chumley: "Fly specks, fly specks! I've been spending my life among fly specks while miracles have been leaning on lampposts at 18th and Fairfax! "

and my favorite:

Elwood P. Dowd: "Years ago my mother used to say to me, she'd say, 'In this world, Elwood, you must be' - she always called me Elwood - 'In this world, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant.' Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant. And you may quote me."

Tom McG