Rats!

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Jack
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Jack »

emmline wrote:
lixnaw wrote: but i believe zoo's are a bad thing
I suggest you read "Life of Pi" by Yann Martel. It will not necessarily change your pov, but should at least present some interesting other sides of the story.
(Actually, I recommend it to anyone, even if you don't have preconceived notions about zoos. Thought provoking from a religious standpoint as well.)
I'm putting that book on my wishlist.

I'm not sure where I stand on zoos (although I oppose the existance of circuses and petting zoos). I've only ever been to two: the Detroit Zoo and the National Zoo.
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

DCrom wrote:
IDAwHOa wrote:
Zoos are NOT a bad thing, not at all. I wonder how many young (or older) people have been positively influenced by a trip to the zoo and decided to go into fields of work that benefit animals. Another thing is that, although not totally successful, quite a number of endangered species have been reintroduced back into nature or at least captive populations are maintained through the work of captive breeders. The California Condor and the Perigrine falcon are two very good examples I am familiar with.
One of my father's friends was heavily involved in the Peregrine captive breeding effort - he had a huge free-flight aviary attached to his house, and helped raise birds for release. A large part of their effort was devoted to teaching the young birds how to hunt - no matter how good the instincts, there's a lot of learned behavior in being a successful predator.

Nature's a balance. And predators are not only a part of nature, but a necessary part - most prey species, when their predators are eliminated, breed to the point of overpopulation, disease, and starvation.

For that matter, anyone who thinks "herbivore" implies gentle behavior show see some of the dominance battles our backyard squirrels get into.
NPR's Radio Reader's current book is a fascinating account of a slightly "rogue" pair of researchers who follow a perigrine (who they dub Amelia) on her northern migration.

Oh, and the name of the book is "On The Wing" (I think).
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
jbarter

Post by jbarter »

Simple solution to rat problem....

1 Put on pied costume

2 Start piping

If somebody offers to do this for you don't forget to pay them
May the joy of music be ever thine.
(BTW, my name is John)
lixnaw

Post by lixnaw »

or invite them to supper
with dry bread and cheese
lay it 'fore them be sure,
never mind if they're willin'
but charge them 5 shillin'
and be devil the rat if you ever see more :lol:
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

Bubonic Plague.

And if that's not bad enough,

http://www.abc.net.au/science/news/heal ... 781304.htm

Infectious diseases carried by rats may be a human health time-bomb, researchers warned an international conference in Canberra.

Scientists from 39 countries attending the second International Rodent Biology and Management Conference heard that rats were already known to carry nearly 70 diseases, but there were fears they could harbour many more.

With a nearly four million rats born every day, or 10 for every human alive, the much-loathed rodents could spread more disease through towns and cities in developing nations.

"Rats are a reservoir of disease, the sleeping giants of disease in the world," said Dr Lyn Hinds of CSIRO Sustainable Ecosystems, a specisalist division of Australia's Commonwealth Scientific & Industrial Research Organisation.

"It is more likely than ever that we will have greater levels of debilitating diseases caused by rats ... with the increased density of human populations," she told delegates.

Although rats have plagued city-dwellers and farmers for centuries, researchers have yet to find an efficient way to stop them spreading disease or ruining crops. A staggering 3.6 million rats are born every day, although many don't live for longer than a few months.

Besides harbouring typhus and the bubonic plague, rats are also known to carry diseases such as leptospirosis, a potentially serious bacterial illness spread by their urine contaminating water or food.

Hinds said 6,000 cases of leptospirosis were diagnosed in Thailand alone in 2000, killing 350 people, but researchers say many more deaths should have been attributed to rats but were classified as unknown fever.

Farmers in Asia have long struggled to protect their crops from rats and continue to test a variety of traps and other methods of keeping rodent populations down.

But they do have their uses. Every year, an estimated 35 million rats are bought and sold in markets along Asia's Mekong river. Gutted and cooked over a charcoal grill, roast rat is considered a delicacy in many parts of the region.

"Ricefield rats are both an important source of protein and a significant avenue of income for many farmers," Dr Kong Luen Heong of the Manila-based International Rice Research Institute, in the Philippines, told delegates.

Of course, in CranberryWorld there wouldn't be any disease. Here in the real world though there are real problems to cope with.
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
Jerry Freeman
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Jerry Freeman »

Although I wouldn't want to kill a rat or mouse, there is a fact of nature that should be kept in mind ...

One survival strategy for a species is to overwhelm its niche with more offspring that its natural enemies can consume. Only a fraction of some species (many birds, mice, rats, etc.) live a full lifespan. The majority are eaten by predators. (How many mice per night does a barn owl or coyote eat?). This has been the way since long before humans arrived on the scene. The number of rats or mice that we remove from our surroundings is tiny compared to the number that are eaten by natural predators. Although we may not like to think about mortality and death, they are part of the natural order.

Best wishes,
Jerry
vomitbunny

Post by vomitbunny »

jbarter wrote:Simple solution to rat problem....

1 Put on pied costume

2 Start piping

If somebody offers to do this for you don't forget to pay them
Uh, that's why they are in my garage to begin with......
My opinion is stupid and wrong.
lixnaw

Post by lixnaw »

i'm no vegetarian at all, and i'm not opposed to hunting, just enough to keep nature in ballance.
but places like zoos don't keep many endangered species at all.
a lot of those animals walk in circles, bump there heads against the wall...
http://www.animalfrontline.nl/entertain ... nt-eng.php

i believe we still have a lot to learn from animals in wild life.
aderyn_du

Post by aderyn_du »

I think it depends on the zoo. Yes, there are many that seem just plain cruel... but there are some (usually those with a lot of funding) that seem to do a great deal of good, both for the animals and for public awareness/knowledge.
Wanderer
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

amar wrote:....and anyway, who says it's not nature's course or plan for us humans to put animals in cages, or to eat them, or to do whatever we do, be it good or be it bad? I mean, we humans are also a part of nature, we too have evolved to what we have become according to which ever laws of nature may apply.
just a thought..

I'm especially keen on that eating animals part. If God didn't want us to eat animals, he wouldn't have made them out of meat! ;)

(I'm not sure where that meat thing came from originally..I looked on the internet, and found about a zillion unatributed quotes...)
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

emmline wrote:
I suggest you read "Life of Pi" by Yann Martel. It will not necessarily change your pov, but should at least present some interesting other sides of the story.
(Actually, I recommend it to anyone, even if you don't have preconceived notions about zoos. Thought provoking from a religious standpoint as well.)
Yes indeed..a wonderful book.
I read it about a year ago and was blown away.
Probably the most thought provoking yet enjoyable book of that year.
Reminded me a lot of "The God of small things" in the style of writing,must be an Asian way of writing in English that gives that wonderful vibe.

Slan,
D.
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

Jerry Freeman wrote:Although I wouldn't want to kill a rat or mouse, there is a fact of nature that should be kept in mind ...

One survival strategy for a species is to overwhelm its niche with more offspring that its natural enemies can consume. Only a fraction of some species (many birds, mice, rats, etc.) live a full lifespan. The majority are eaten by predators. (How many mice per night does a barn owl or coyote eat?). This has been the way since long before humans arrived on the scene. The number of rats or mice that we remove from our surroundings is tiny compared to the number that are eaten by natural predators. Although we may not like to think about mortality and death, they are part of the natural order.

Best wishes,
Jerry
Witness the Octopi as well as many other sea creatures. Hundreds of thousands of eggs and only a few live to adulthood.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
WhistlingGypsy

Post by WhistlingGypsy »

Wanderer wrote:
amar wrote:....and anyway, who says it's not nature's course or plan for us humans to put animals in cages, or to eat them, or to do whatever we do, be it good or be it bad? I mean, we humans are also a part of nature, we too have evolved to what we have become according to which ever laws of nature may apply.
just a thought..

I'm especially keen on that eating animals part. If God didn't want us to eat animals, he wouldn't have made them out of meat! ;)

(I'm not sure where that meat thing came from originally..I looked on the internet, and found about a zillion unatributed quotes...)
There's plenty of room for all God's creatures......Right next to the mashed potatoe's :lol:

(Restaurant sign in Saskatoon, Canada)
Cheers Image
Gerry
Think before you Think before you Post!
Scott McCallister
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Scott McCallister »

Cranberry wrote:
MikeyLikesIt wrote:I had a bad rat problem a few years back, and thats how we got rid of them (in conjuction with releasing our fearless killer kitty on the Basmatis :twisted:
Perhaps instead of the rats being called Basmatis, the person who allowed the cat to kill them could be called as such, with an extra qualifier: stupid.
:really: :roll: Ughh!

Don’t make any mistake Cranberry…Rats are vermin, a nuisance, carriers of disease, and incredibly destructive. Use poison, a snap trap, a cat, owl, hell even a .22 but kill the basmati… dead. And soon. (there is a reason the term “rat basmati” exists) All that is furry is not good. And squirrels are a close second to rats. Just a fuzzy tail away from the disgusting creatures.
There's and old Irish saying that says pretty much anything you want it to.

emmline

Post by emmline »

please don't fan this flame.