Pipers and... piperesses?

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Uilliam
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Uilliam »

My apologies to the board in advance if this offends anyone of a delicate disposition... if ...ye look at the post I submitted on 16 September 2004 ye will see that I correctly identified Grace Lemon as winning the All Ireland: Piob Uilleann long before David mentioned her,.... not only that he didn't mention her by name in his post..
"One of her students (a girl) has recently won an All Ireland. "(which is a bit of a put down isn't it?)
In the other competition for Uilleann Pipes at the same Fleadh Piob Uilleann Foinn Mhalla She came 3rd. {page 41 Treoir}.
I still don't think the competition is worth a fig(see my other post if ye are at all slightly interested...Posted: 13 Jan 2005 08:38 Post subject: Re: Piping Competitions )
Incidentally Foinn Mhalla is a much harder competition

I hope the above clarifies the result a bit..It was certainly not my intention to put Grace down and I say good luck to her having seen her in competitions.I think Davids post says far more about his antipathy towards me than his interest in Grace..

"Posted: 16 Sep 2004 15:57 Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm just wondering about the title of this thread?what makes the great distinction bit?? distinct frae what?,woman non pipers?male pipers?if ye are just after a list of female pipers here are some more....
Sheila Harrison
Sarah-Jane Watkinson
Val Haines
Lynne Amery
Julie McCoy
Catherine Lorigan
L.Henderson
Fleur O'Brien
Sue Mason
Portia Howe
Rebecca Mason
Anne Leake
Nadine Spriggs
Lisa Garten
Jacqueline Richardson
Ann Moore
Carolyn O'Mahoney
Melanie Thorne
Astrid Lawrence
Mary Ann Kennedy

Grace Lemon(this years under 12 All Ireland winner,for what thats worth)
and these are just this side of the pond,well England and Scotland to be more precise.....
Uilliam "

David quit the sniping this isnae a Comhaltas competition :roll:
Slan agat
If ye are intersted in helping our cause to cure leprosy feel free to PM me.
Joseph E. Smith
antispam: No

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Peter Laban wrote:
Joseph E. Smith wrote:
Peter Laban wrote: :lol: :lol: :lol:
..OK...I kinda asked for that...but the point I was trying to make, is that to play a note on a chanter, whistle, what have you...simply cover the hole and it is there (or it is supposed to be anyway).

I know the point you were trying to make but if it were so simple, that a tone would be there by simple uncovering a hole, why did Ennis sound different from Clancy or Flynn, even when playing the same pipes and doesn't intonation come into it at all (I'd say it does).
Sure it does, but that isn't my point. If one were just to play a simple 1 octave scale on the pipes (D to d without embellishment or colouring the tone) the finger is lifted off of a drilled and permanent hole in the stick. That hole is unchangably there and it's tone (or perhaps pitch is a better word?) lives there. On the fiddle, there is no such permanent structure and the finger has to be placed precisely on the finger board or the note will be out of tune. That is all.

When it comes to colouring the tone, yes, it isn't as simple as that... which the great pipers you have mentioned above clearly demonstrate.
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

Hmm, that would hold true for the concertina, of the pipes I wouldn't be so sure.
David Lim

Post by David Lim »

Uilliam,

I have no antipathy to you, my interpretation was that you were picking on me. Maybe my defence was over zealous.

Yes, let's agree to stop any sniping.

We are probably bound to meet at some piping do somewhere and I would rather it would be a happy event than a bad one.

I'm off to the Jolly Angler now for a pint and some serious tunes.

David
Uilliam

Post by Uilliam »

David..agreed.
ps.I have never broken anyones pipes in a duel at dawn yet!!!
Uilliam
If ye are intersted in helping our cause to cure leprosy feel free to PM me.
tompipes
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by tompipes »

Does anyone remember Cathy Handibode?
Is she still playing?
There was also a few girls from around north Wicklow that played pipes.
One was a Byrne, forget her first name. Janet Lambert was from Wicklow too, Aughrim, I think.
Deirdre Leech was another piper that I haven't heard play for a while either. A good player! I suppose a clatter of kids will distract anyone.

Tommy
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

Deirdre turned up at the tionol in Spanish Point two years ago.

Sarah Jane Woods mostly plays the fluite these days. There was a whole gaggle of women from Cork that used to come to the Willie week, never see them anymore either.
Steampacket

Post by Steampacket »

Aye, I was introduced to Deirdre on the Ballard Rd, by Jimmy OBM at Willie Week, must have been 2002 when David Quinn was over? Isn't it Deirdre that has the O'Dowd Egan set these days?
Seanie

Post by Seanie »

Hello

Seeing as Deidre is Dan's granddaughter and the only other member of Dan's family interested in playing the pipes she got the pipes.

I remember teaching Patricia Logan a few years back but, like Tommy said, nothing like a couple of kids to feck up your piping (my two are aged nine and seven).

Cheers

John Moran