Whats your opinion on Nick Whitmer practice sets?

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
irishduffy

Post by irishduffy »

Joseph E. Smith wrote:You're on......................................................................................uh, 'crack' that is. :lol:
craic :)
Joseph E. Smith
antispam: No

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

irishduffy wrote:
Joseph E. Smith wrote:You're on......................................................................................uh, 'crack' that is. :lol:
craic :)
Oh, yeah....heh. :D
Jay-eye
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Jay-eye »

Joseph E. Smith wrote:
irishduffy wrote:Joseph E. Smith-
...that it was free. :lol:

Perhaps you could locate me one of them there free ones Joseph, I'll thrown in a grand of monopoly money :wink:
You're on......................................................................................uh, 'crack' that is. :lol:
No crack dealers here please, or we'll have to change it from 'pipe' forum to 'bong' forum! :lol:

Now then, about my almost free set. It was half free, because I'd just sold an old 8-key flute I no longer played and so I invested the dosh in UP's.

Plus.... now here's a funny thing - here is a funny thing:

Way back when in the year 2000 I sent for some info leaflets on up's from the 'South Western Association of Uilleann Pipers' and received with them a price list from a pipe maker. Or it might have been the other way round, I can't remember, but I think it was almost certainly from an advert in Folkroots magazine. I read the leaflets, although they didn't make a lot of sense to a non-player and was frightened off by the prices on the list. However I never throw anything like that away so they got squirrelled away and forgotten.

Nearly 5 years later, through the kind assistance of a fellow forum member, I take possession of this fine Roberts practice set. This Christmas, doing some clearing out I find the aforementioned leaflets, having totally forgotten about them. The price list turns out to be from non other than Mr Charles Roberts! It's just as well I believe in answered prayer otherwise I'd have to start thinking it was just a coincidence! And the new price is shown to be 50% more than I paid 5 years later!

So then: 1/3rd off for buying a 'previously cherished item', and half the purchase price paid for by selling a flute I didn't use - what a deal! That's almost better than free!

Am I blessed or what?

Now I just need me some drones.....

j.i.
Tóg go bog é, dude.....

j.i.
snoogie
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by snoogie »

John, you are correct on the back D issue. I tried one of the backup reeds last night and it fixed the back D, but caused the bottom D to autocran..

So with some reed adjustment, etc...it should be playing happily again. Im going to start on it tonight but will probably take a couple of days to sort out and I'll let you guys know.

Regards,
Gary
snoogie

Post by snoogie »

John, you are correct on the back D issue. I tried one of the backup reeds last night and it fixed the back D, but caused the bottom D to autocran..

So with some reed adjustment, etc...it should be playing happily again. Im going to start on it tonight but will probably take a couple of days to sort out and I'll let you guys know.

Regards,
Gary
maze

fixing autocran

Post by maze »

all you have to do is strenthen the reed to rid yourself of autocran.

just squeeze the sides of the reed to open it up more... thats all... worst case scenario squeeze or move the bridle to do the same thing.

good luck
snoogie

Post by snoogie »

Ok, the secret to making a reed is the following formula...

2 parts Guinness, one part Brian McNamara CDs, stir slowly until done.

I finally got a reed (of my own making) working in this chanter last night. So the reedmaking fairies must be attracted by the sound of Brian's piping :) as well as the smell of Guinness..a couple of those with Fort of the Jewels playing and I was in the right zen frame of mind to make a reed!

My problem was using too small a sanding block (among other things) which caused too large an arc on the reed lips, which caused them to have too much stress...etc...

The new reed plays well, but I've got to redo the bridle today as it is too sensitive to adjustment...one gnat whisker too far and it wont play, one gnat whisker the other way and it's too open and takes a hurricane force wind to make it go.

Depending on the adjustment of the bridle, the back D was either ok or too sharp which I found interesting. If the reed was open too far the back D was sharp, too closed down and the back D was either right on or even maybe a bit flat.

So, once I've gotten it sorted out I'll try and post a clip.

-gary
There is no try, only do or not do. - Yoda
Joseph E. Smith

snoogie wrote:Ok, the secret to making a reed is the following formula...

2 parts Guinness, one part Brian McNamara CDs, stir slowly until done.
...I just KNEW IT!!! Congratulations. I look forward to your clip posting.
snoogie

Post by snoogie »

Ok, finally got some clips to post. The first ones are using one of Nick's reeds..plays easily and in tune except the Back D. I have about half the back D hole covered with tape for this clip.

Scale

Southwind with Nick's Reed

Scale - Gary's Reed

Southwind with Gary's Reed

Please forgive the playing and the quality of the recording. It was done with the crappiest microphone on the planet..the one which came with my analog tape recorder.

This is the second reed that I made. The first one was tremendously flat on Back D...so I trimmed the lips back..the had to thin them some more to get the second octave..which made Back D flat again...until I had a nub rather than a reed. :sniffle:

This second one, I put a longer taper on the staple and this helps a lot on the second octave being in tune. The back D is still a bit flat..I'm afraid I may have over-sanded it trying to make it play easily.

I must say that this has been quite a learning experience and I'm getting so I can produce a reed pretty quickly, as well as my failure rate is much lower..maybe every other slip is broken or damaged before I get a reed out of one...rather than before where I was more like one out of 5 or 6.

Overall, I'm still less than thrilled with the results. I'm glad I'm able to create workable reeds, and perhaps over time I'll get so I can create really good reeds...but for now will have to settle for 'good enough.'

As we say at work, perfection is the enemy of good enough.

Regards,
Gary
There is no try, only do or not do. - Yoda
Joseph E. Smith

Gary, it sounds like you are on the right track. I'm thinking that a little more experimenting with taper and scraping might bring it all home. Way to go. :)

Nice playing sir. And I like the new avatar....one of my all time favorite flicks. :D