Liam O'Flynns pipes

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Pat Cannady
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Pat Cannady »

I've never heard of anyone associating the fox in the fox chase with the English army; that sounds a bit odd especially since it's the same kind of people who made up the army's officer corps who happen to be involved in hunting the fox. That is, they were part of the establishment (English-speaking, well-to-do Protestants who detested nearly everything Irish and Catholic), and what's more the establishment depended on the army to help remain the establishment. The last thing they would want to do is destroy the very thing that maintained their privileged lifestyle.

Stop associating the fox with the army, and start thinking of the fox as a rebel, a symbol of nature, a likeable trickster, something that can not be subjugated so it is destroyed by those who must subjugate everyone and everything to their will.
djm
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by djm »

Wildly o'er Desmond the war wolf is howling.
Fearless the eagle sweeps over the plain.
The fox in the streets of the city is prowling,
And all who would scare them
Are banished or slain.
- from O'Donnell Abú

I always took "the fox" to mean the red-coats.

djm
Last edited by djm on Wed Jan 05, 2005 7:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

I'm not 100% on this, but I think the Fox in O'Donnel abu is a reference to an idividual, an enemy officer, Godzilla, G. W. Bush....or somebody. :D
Pat Cannady
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Pat Cannady »

Well, that's how the fox is used in one song. Tricky thing, symbolism. The same symbol can mean different things depending on context and association.

Consider the audience for whom each piece was written. The composer of the Fox Chase, Edmund Keating Hyland, was the resident piper in one of the big manor houses in Tipperary and would have had some insight into the establishment and its foibles. He also performed mostly for that crowd, too, so he had to watch his manners.

O'Donnell Abu is a rebel song for preaching to the choir. It can afford to make baldfaced, unflattering comments about the establishment and the army since that's its whole purpose.
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

djm wrote:I always took "the fox" to mean the red-coats.
The Red Fox does have a red coat. You're right on. A lot of them ended up as people coats too. :wink:
djm

Post by djm »

I read somewhere that, as the red-coats marched past, the people of Boston would chant, "Lobster-back. Lobster-back," much to the chagrin of the wearers of said apparel. I'm surprised this didn't catch on in Ireland. :wink:

djm
Jim McGuire

Post by Jim McGuire »

A shame most of the pipers for the past 250 years have missed the meaning of the Fox Chase and aren't we lucky to have it now?

I wonder if any uilleann/psychologist can explain why we like fingering our chanters so much? Is it the music or...
brianc

Post by brianc »

DJM:

Eoin O'Riabhaigh plays a very nice version of "The Fox Chase" on his CD, "Tiomnacht: Handed On".

From the sleeve notes:

"More than almost any other tune, this was Mícheál O'Riabhaigh's "party piece" and he passed it on to Eoin. This version of the famous piper's showpiece, attributed to Hyland, differs from what Eoin calls the "other" version, especially in the rythym of the final section, and in the lament."
djm

Post by djm »

BrianC, not sure what your point is. I already mentioned this version above.

djm
brianc

Post by brianc »

Yes you did.

Here's a biscuit.
djm

Post by djm »

I'm a good boy! :)

djm
brianc

Post by brianc »

Yes you are.

And I'm taking my own advice.... "Seek first to understand".... and reading the posts wouldn't hurt, either.
mirabai
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Liam's Rowsome chanter

Post by mirabai »

In '76 I visited with Sean Reid and he gave me a copy of a meticulously measured drawing he had made of the chanter made for him by Rowsome, which has strongly influenced my own chanter design. He said that he had given that set to Liam on "permanent loan". He also said that he had requested that Leo make the pipes to "sound like a flat set." He never mentioned Clancy owning it. As you know, Clancy's concert set was a Taylor. Incidently, Sean played the drones for Clancy on a few of his recordings issued on 78 such as The Old Bush, etc.
Tim Britton

row, row, row your boat...
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Welcome to the forum Tim. Try the house salad, I hear it's good. :D
Cayden

Re: Liam's Rowsome chanter

Post by Cayden »

mirabai wrote: He never mentioned Clancy owning it. As you know, Clancy's concert set was a Taylor. Incidently, Sean played the drones for Clancy on a few of his recordings issued on 78 such as The Old Bush, etc.
Clancy didn't own it, he had it on loan like others had it. Clancy during his lifetime had many different sets and unfortunately he rarely had one going well, he used the Taylor during the last years of his life.