Whistling Psychology III-- Recordophobia

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Nemo Pudsy*
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Nemo Pudsy* »

Greetings from your resident Whistle Psychiatrist.

Today's topic may be a little confusing to those not familiar with medical terms. The word "recordophobia" comes basically from Greek. That is, "recorder," meaning "an wind instrument with a funny pinkie-hole" and "phobia," meaning "extreame distaste or loathing."

Many of you may feel that, technically, Recordophobia is not a disorder, but rather a higher state of good taste. In the interest of fairness, however, I wish to assert that I am, as a medical doctor, completely unbiased, and loving and accepting of all musicians and instruments, however unlovely, and no matter how many holes they have.

That said, I have noticed a trend toward Recordophobia among many whistlers, and I cannot leave it unaddressed.

While I urge you to practice love, acceptance, and tolerance toward all instruments and musicians, I must confess the researcher in me is itching to get to the bottom of this phenomena.

So-- please tell me you thoughts on the recorder. Do you loathe it? Love it? Tolerate it?

Remember-- If you need to talk, your resident Whistle Psychiatrist is always here.
Nemo Pudsy*, M.D.
Your Resident Whistler's Psychiatrist

*Not my real name.
Isilwen

Post by Isilwen »

Well Doc,

I think my recordophobia stems from having to learn to play the dang thing in 2nd grade. All that awful squeaking and honking... oh, it was TERRIBLE.

I've never recovered from that shock, although progress has been made. I can now tolerate the recorder being played by a professional or quite proficient player on some Vivaldi and Bach pieces, or other suitable classical songs, but anything else(especially Celtic music) gives me the shudders.

I guess you could say Doc, I don't hate it, loathe it, or love it. I tolerate it with a small amount of distaste. Personally, I'd play anything, whether it be Tuba, Accordian, Hurdy Gurdy, Oboe, ect., but not the recorder.

It just makes me squeamish.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: The Whistling Elf on 2002-04-08 19:48 ]</font>
NancyF

Post by NancyF »

Dear Dr.

My recorder phobia is from having crooked pinkies that don't reach the instrument. Good excuse not to play one anyway!

Cheers,
psychih
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by psychih »

I have a recorder (soprano)..one of those cheap Yamaha plastic ones...compliments of primary school. Don't play it anymore. Sounds awfully funny compared to my whistle. And I don't understand the two hole in one thing. Hmph. Go tin whistles!
avanutria
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

I like recorders, have played them since third grade, which is about 14 years now I suppose. Don't bother with any cheap brand other than Yamaha, by the way. I have my brother's old soprano yamaha (mine got lost when we moved :sad: ), a sopranino from a music store, and an alto from eBay. It's fun to show them to people who have never known about the different sizes. If the soprano one wasn't a different color, I could claim it shrunk in the wash.

Oh yeah, I picked up a translucent blue yamaha a few months ago just because the opportunity arose. it's got air bubbles in it!
TrevorC

Post by TrevorC »

I do play recorder as well as whistle. I have too many sopranos, a sopranino, a garklein, two altos and a tenor. Almost as bad as whoa...

I don't think it's fair to compare the two instruments, though. Recorders aren't traditional Irish instruments, and so in general Irish music won't sound right on them. Some may disagree, but I certainly don't like it. However, when I'm playing a Vivaldi Concerto, variations on an English Country Dance or various "ethnic" musics (which require lots of chromatics), I think I'll be playing the recorder.

Overall, though, I find the whistle to be WAY more enjoyable. There's nothing like traditional Irish music.
Jens_Hoppe

Post by Jens_Hoppe »

I have a bit on an ambivalent relationship with the recorder. On one hand I like it, since it was my introduction to wind instruments many years ago (I took recorder lessons for eight years as a child), and it certainly paved the way for me, making the transition to whistle quite uncomplicated.

On the other hand, now that I <i>do</i> play the whistle, I see no reason to ever touch a recorder again. I mean, compare the ease and logical fingering of the whistle with the cross-fingering hell you find on a frigging recorder, why would <b>anyone</b> choose to play such a horribly, geeky instrument?!! Plus, all you can play on the reco<gasp> is geeky chamber music where you have to tongue every note. Aargh!

In short, <b>recorders are Evil and should all be burned!!</b>

:smile:

<...Deep breath...>

OK, I'm calm now.

Cheers,
Jens
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

I was put off this instrument (of torture) through hearing them played by groups of 8-13 year olds in junior orchestra. Of course my violin playing at the time would have put GraphicsGuy off his cookies.

Since that age I have fortunately been able to avoid the sound altogether, and the sight almost entirely, so apart from occasionally waking up at 3am in a cold sweat at the suppressed memories, I think I can claim to have made a full recovery.
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that schwing
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

I actually like recorders quite a bit, which is a good thing, since I own a tenor, alto, soprano, and sopranino set. The alto and soprano are both really nice instruments, historical copies, one in palisandre, the other in blackwood.

I "found" recorders and early music years and years before I "found" Irish traditional music, and played in a recorder consort in college.

I love the whistle too but I really don't understand either the rather extreme views some folks have posted regarding the recorder. I suppose my opinion on it would be if you don't like it, don't play it. (I really don't have a burning desire to take up Sousaphone, for instance, but have nothing personal against them or those who play them.)

I do think most of the "I hate recorder" posts are very tongue-in-cheek, but occasionally I have run across someone who sounded like they had real problems and could benefit from therapy or maybe medication.

As far as playing Irish music on the recorder, except for slow airs it fits better on whistle. Then again, almost none of the classical works for recorder would even be playable on whistle, unless possibly you could come up with a 6-key whistle somewhere.

At the end of the day, two very different instruments, made for two very different kinds of music.

--James
http://www.flutesite.com
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

peeplj,
I am deeply concerned and sorry about your recorder problem. I understand that your are still in a phase of denial, and I wanted to reassure you that you can take all the time you need. Eventually you will be able to face your condition and recognize recorders for what they are. We are an open and affirming whistle community and we want to let you know that we love and accept recorder-sufferers and all human beings, and even bodhran players. If you keep working honestly and dilligently on your challenges, you will one day see that thinking "if you don't like them, don't play them," is just cheating yourself. I am sure that you can do it if you try. When you are ready, we will be.

:grin:

P.S.: Texarkana.... mmmh. Wasn't Scott Joplin born there?
/Bloomfield
mamakash

Post by mamakash »

I think a restraining order would be the best solution. Recorders must stay fifty feet from whistles at ALL TIMES!

I've never played a recorder, thus I have no dislike of them. Emma Christian plays one and I never tire of her recorder verson of "O Kirree, Thou Wilt Leave Me". If all recorder playing resembled hers, I think there would be little objection.

To add to the coversation, can you suffer from a mutant form of WHOA involving recorders? I've seen the little plastic one for under ten dollars, they look tempting . . .
I sing the birdie tune
It makes the birdies swoon
It sends them to the moon
Just like a big balloon
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

Yep, Texarkana was the birthplace of Scott Joplin, who later went insane. I can understand--that makes a lot of sense to me sometimes. :smile:

As for WHOA for recorders, it would be like having IFAD (Irish Flute Aquisition Disorder)--it's possible but gets expensive awfully fast. At least, if you want good wooden recorders.

Right now good soprano wooden recorders cost about $250 and good wooden altos go for over $500.

There is one good alternative, though--I have played a plastic Zen-On historical copy alto which played as well as my rosewood alto ever has, and only cost about $50.

On the other hand, that $50 would buy you either a pretty nice whistle or a fistful of cheapies.

--James
http://www.flutesite.com
AnnaDMartinez
Tell us something.: Good to be home, many changes here, but C&F is still my home! I think about the "old" bunch here and hold you all in the light, I am so lucky to have you all in my life!

Post by AnnaDMartinez »

I started with a recorder, but once I got my paws on a whistle...I was a gonner, and I haven't been near a recorder since, and probably never will go near one again!
cj

Post by cj »

I love recorders too, esp. the plastic Yamahas in the wild colors. I also have a Hohner wood recorder. I don't know what the problem is with folks hating them, but I just like a lot of different instruments. Early/Renaissance music on a recorder is something I'd like to try. My disease of Multi-Instrument Acquisition Syndrome (MIAS) prevents me from being loyal to only one instrument.
Stonewall

Post by Stonewall »

On 2002-04-09 09:55, peeplj wrote:
I do think most of the "I hate recorder" posts are very tongue-in-cheek, but occasionally I have run across someone who sounded like they had real problems and could benefit from therapy or maybe medication.
I can't really seem to explain my distaste for recorders. While I have never particularly cared for them they didn't really bother me until about two years ago when I aquired my first whistle. Within a couple of months my attitude towards them changed from a patient tolerance to a near maniacal glee in playing Thom's Recorder Blaster. Now every time I hear one my mind becomes confused and I begin seeing halucinations of Davy Spillane playing the recorder :wink:

It has since become my mission in life to convince the world of the basic depravity of recorder playing :grin: While I concede that there are some exceptions (most notably Carlos Nunez's playing and most Baroque & Renaissance music) I agree with Jens that for the most part recorders are basically evil and corrupting influences beyond redemption. They should be cast back into the fire from whence they came. Only there can they be unmade...

I think I am beyond help... :smile:

Stonewall