Do you speak American?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
RonKiley
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Do you speak American?

Post by RonKiley »

This is the name of a program on public television that will be shown here in the DC area tomorrow night at 8:00 PM. They have toured the United states studying regional and local dialects. I understand that they found that we are divided North/South. The big changes were apparently divided by the Ohio river. This should be very interesting.

See you there.

Ron
I've never met a whistle I didn't want.
emmline
antispam: No

Post by emmline »

Tomorrow? But I'm taking yet another segment of my family to Phantom tomorrow! Quel conflict!
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: OT: Do you speak American?

Post by Redwolf »

RonKiley wrote:This is the name of a program on public television that will be shown here in the DC area tomorrow night at 8:00 PM. They have toured the United states studying regional and local dialects. I understand that they found that we are divided North/South. The big changes were apparently divided by the Ohio river. This should be very interesting.

See you there.

Ron
That sounds good! I wonder if it's playing here? I'll have to check our listings.

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
pearl grey

Post by pearl grey »

emmline wrote:Tomorrow? But I'm taking yet another segment of my family to Phantom tomorrow! Quel conflict!
And I have to watch the new episode of "Lost"!!! (Are you talking about the Phantom of the Opera movie? Is it any good?)
missy

Post by missy »

well, I don't know about the program, but living in Cincinnati, I can certainly attest to the Ohio being the dialect "dividing line"!!! :D

Missy
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
emmline

Post by emmline »

pearl grey wrote:
emmline wrote:Tomorrow? But I'm taking yet another segment of my family to Phantom tomorrow! Quel conflict!
And I have to watch the new episode of "Lost"!!! (Are you talking about the Phantom of the Opera movie? Is it any good?)
Well...this will be my third trip. But I'm perhaps unusual. In this instance, I'd direct you to Yahoo-movies, and suggest you give the user reviews more weight than the critic reviews.
pearl grey

Post by pearl grey »

emmline wrote:
pearl grey wrote:
Well...this will be my third trip. But I'm perhaps unusual. In this instance, I'd direct you to Yahoo-movies, and suggest you give the user reviews more weight than the critic reviews.
Nah, I'm too lazy for all that! :) I take it that you love it, then, since you're going for the 3rd time. I used to be TOTALLY OBSESSED with Phantom in high school, the way some girls are about boy bands or pop singers. My feelings have cooled considerably since then, but I think I'll probably go see it and enjoy it.
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

RonKiley wrote: The big changes were apparently divided by the Ohio river. This should be very interesting.
Since I LIVE on the Ohio River, I can attest that it IS interesting. The dialect here is very interesting, that's for sure :boggle:
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
RonKiley

Post by RonKiley »

As a matter of fact I just got back from Cincinnatti, actually Milford. I did notice a distinct difference between those on the Ohio side from those on the Kentucky side. But I think you can hear a difference between the two sides of the Potomac river also. On the maryland side "hill" is pronounced with only one syllable.

Ron
I've never met a whistle I didn't want.
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

RonKiley wrote:This is the name of a program on public television that will be shown here in the DC area tomorrow night at 8:00 PM. They have toured the United states studying regional and local dialects. I understand that they found that we are divided North/South. The big changes were apparently divided by the Ohio river. This should be very interesting.

See you there.

Ron
Thanks for the heads up. I'll have to check and watch (if there's not another football game my husbands glued to). I still have tapes of PBS's The Story of English, so this is definately of intrest.
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
brianc

Post by brianc »

See you there.

Ron

ROFL!!

Divided North & South?!?
BWHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAA

And they based this on... dialects?

Holy Christmas Trees, Batman - I could have pointed out to them that the State of MAINE is divided North & South based on dialects! East & West, too!

Hahahahaaaaa
Jayhawk
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

I don't see how the Ohio river could be the primary basis of dialectical differences unless they only studied the US as it was circa 1800 (when the western boundary was the Mississippi river).

The Ohio river is not a dividing line for over 2/3rds of the US, and if you travel down from Minnesota to Texas you'll hear at least 3-4 different dialect zones. Travel west from St. Louis to LA and you find different dialects, too. The Ohio may be convenient line for some areas, but in the midwest/Great Plains you find dialects based upon European immigration patterns of the 1800s and early 1900s.

Don't get me wrong, I'm still going to watch. I find dialects fascinating.

Eric
Flyingcursor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

This website has a map of divisions. I think it's over generalized. To the untrained ear the Wisconson and Minnesota dialects may be the same but they are actually quite different. There are also big differences within Minnesota itself. Some of it is more in common with Eastern North Dakota. In Michigan the upper penninsula is quite different from us LP folks.

Look at the difference in Virginia alone. My favorit is what I call the "blueblood" accent: "Gud moanin' Suh. Ah trust yew slept well." Not too hard to imitate. Just watch the movie "Gettysburg".
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
lixnaw

Post by lixnaw »

na
Last edited by lixnaw on Wed Jan 05, 2005 9:23 am, edited 3 times in total.
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

pearl grey wrote:
emmline wrote:
pearl grey wrote: And I have to watch the new episode of "Lost"!!! (Are you talking about the Phantom of the Opera movie? Is it any good?)
Nah, I'm too lazy for all that! :) I take it that you love it, then, since you're going for the 3rd time. I used to be TOTALLY OBSESSED with Phantom in high school, the way some girls are about boy bands or pop singers. My feelings have cooled considerably since then, but I think I'll probably go see it and enjoy it.
I'm glad for the clarification, because I initially assumed this was just another unusual American town name, like Desolation, Forgiveness, or Butt Creek.