Howdy all

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Mark Fahey
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Mark Fahey »

I wanted to this opportunity to say hello to everyone! I am a new Whistle afficionado and am looking for any and all information I can get on this marvolous instrument. In addition to this great site, and other links would be appreciated. I have not yet purchased my first Whistle yet so any information on getting started would be very helpful. I have seen some of what is available to the beginner like the Clarke. But I am a bit be-dazeled when I see a tweaked and non-tweaked version available? Which would be better for a beginner?

Thanks and Happy Whistling!
"Alone we can do so little; together we can do so much." - Helen Keller
DaveG

Post by DaveG »

Welcome to the wonderful world of whistles....May I suggest that you check out the whoa to whoa post, Mack has some great whistles to sell at great prices. If the tweaked Clarke is still there, I'd grab it. I'd buy it myself,but I tweaked mine already, a great whistle for the beginner and experienced alike.
"Do not fear;Zion,let not your hands be weak;
The Lord your God in your midst;
The Mighty One,will save;
He will rejoice over you with gladness,
He will quiet you in His love,
He will rejoice over you with singing."
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

I like my Walton's "D" and "C" which were my first whistles. The "D" is brass and tends to collect "condensate" quick - before it does, though, it has a nice quality. The "C" (nickle) has a deep, mellow tone, is well tuned, and plays evenly in both octaves, but doesn't seem to work as well with Irish tunes as with the pop stuff I play.
avanutria
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

My beginner vote would be the Dixon nontunable D. about $16 last I knew, and plastic so you don't have to worry as much about breaking/bending/rusting it.

Try not to get overwhelmed about the variety of whistles (and opinions!) out there. It's really fun once you get the hang of it, kinda like collecting baseball cards. =)

If you have questions about particular whistles and you don't want to post, you can always do a search on the past posts with the link in the upper right of each page. But we're a pretty friendly lot and I bet you'll get a dozen answers to every question you ask!

--Beth
Blackbird

Post by Blackbird »

Welcome to the board.

In the archives you will find that this question has been asked many times and that there are almost as many different answers as there are members of Chiff and Fipple. However you begin, you will encounter joys and frustrations, so if one kind of whistle doesn't work out, try something else until you find what suits you.

Happy whistling.
If I was a blackbird, I'd whistle and sing...
avanutria
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

Tom Dowling
Tell us something.: Well, I've been a contributor and visitor to this site since 2001. At one time or another, one of my photographs was the opening page photograph. My teacher was Bill Ochs. I play the Penny Whistle. Not a lot else to say.

Post by Tom Dowling »

I've only been at this a little over three years, but have come to rely on Thom Larson at the Whistle Shop for good advice and square dealing in any price range. The tweaked (but not curb cut) Clarke D has a plesant warmth to it in my opinion. His toll-free number is also an asset.

Good luck!!

Tom D.
vaporlock

Post by vaporlock »

Welcome aboard!! Since, in reality, you're gonna end up eventually owning one of EVERY whistle anyway, don't be upset if you get one that you don't like...the quest for the perfect whistle is possibly the best part of this sport!

But, to make sure it's cheap and easy to get started, I would suggest the Clarke Sweetone in D...for ease of play and cost effectiveness (about $6 at thewhistleshop.com) Then, once you you get things worked out whith the Sweetone, try a cylindrical bore like the Walton's or Generation.

The only reason I don't suggest the Tweeked Clarke D right off the bat is so that once you get to it, you'll REALLY appreciate it. A super whistle that is my "if you were stranded on a desert isle and you could have only one whistle..." whistle.

Anyway, good luck and welcome!!

Whistle while you work,
Eric
Raven1911

Post by Raven1911 »

Welcome Mark-

I too am a newcomer and just bought my first whistle. I ordered it from the whistle shop. I did a search for beginner whistles and found a lot of information on the forum. I ended up buying the Clark Sweetone with a tutorial. I have not received it yet, it should be here on Monday. I can't wait. Look on the whistle shop as he has a lot of information and special packages for beginners like the Deluxe whistle starter set which includes two whistles and a couple of tutorials at a good price. Keep posting and maybe we can help each other out. Good luck!

Raven
Sara

Post by Sara »

Hiya,
Welcome to the board! The whistle I started out with was an Acorn in the key of "D", it came with a book and CD called "Step One: Teach Yourself Pennywhistle" - the book tells all about the fingerings, and gives the sheet music to many songs. The CD has the songs that are in the book so you can play along with them. "Step One: Teach Yourself Pennywhistle" costs like $20.00. Hope I explained that well.

Peace and creativity,
Sara

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sara on 2002-04-08 12:14 ]</font>
WhistlingSouthpaw

Post by WhistlingSouthpaw »

I own a "diamonded" all-metal (except for wood block in fipple) Clarke and I love it.
Is this the ubiquitous Clarke everyone is talking about tweaking?
Frankly, I like it just the way it is, and I think it's a great beginner whistle.
A Whistling Southpaw (and proud of it!)
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

Hi Mark and welcome,

some good advice above. I'd recommend getting a whistle, book & CD set, as you'll get good value for money that way. You can then add other whistles if you want to try different types of sounds.

I suggest CD rather than tape, because a good way to practise is to set the CD on the tune you want to practise, on repeat, then just listen to it again and again while you try to whistle along. The tunes will be played at a comfortable speed, and with little or no other instruments to distract you from the melody (often just a guitar accompaniment).
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that schwing
ThorntonRose

Post by ThorntonRose »

Get a Waltons brass, a Waltons Little Black, or a Dixon.
AnnaDMartinez
Tell us something.: Good to be home, many changes here, but C&F is still my home! I think about the "old" bunch here and hold you all in the light, I am so lucky to have you all in my life!

Post by AnnaDMartinez »

Welcome!
Whistlin'Dixie

Post by Whistlin'Dixie »

Hey, Mark: Nice to meet you. You're definately in the right place here! My vote for best beginner Whistle is the Clark or Sweetone, both in D. If you read music already, it shouldn't be very hard to collect lots of tunes you'll like, some of which will be pretty easy to play. Enjoy!!!
Mary