Review: Michael Burke Low D "Viper" Whistle

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Patrick D'Arcy
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Review: Michael Burke Low D "Viper" Whistle

Post by Patrick D'Arcy »

I just wanted to get the word out that Michael Burke is making a really excellent low D whistle now. He has christened it "VIPER".... and why not? Comparing it to his previous model it is even more in tune and he has added a great feature that enhances the instrument infinately........ back pressure! With the addition of back pressure its tonal qualities are enhanced and is great fun to play.

The Viper is made of aluminium and is tuneable, sliding on rubber "O" rings. It has a black delrin (plastic) mouthpiece to help you save money for more instruments rather than give it to you trusted dentist. It breaks down into three pieces: mouthpiece, main body and footjoint (E hole) for compact storage which adds a certain "Double O Seven" chique. This footjoint enables players with a more slight reach to turn this hole to a comfortable location.

Michael's website address is: http://www.burkewhistles.com/

Happy Christmas,

Patrick.
danny
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by danny »

he sure does make good whistles, just got one off him. a low f, its very easy to play and sounds great. nice piece of metal
Brian Lee
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Brian Lee »

Pat O'Riordan's been doing the same thing with the bottom hole on his low whistles for years as well. I found I didn't care for an extra joint under my fingers there, but for some it seems to work. Mike doesn't appear to have any photos of the low whistle line up on his site yet, but perhaps he will in future. The high whistles he makes are superb no question.
djm

Post by djm »

Does anyone with experience with Burke whistles have any input on the many different materials he uses? He describes them on his site, but not the whys or wherefores. e.g. Bnat in aluminum or brass or resin.

Thx,

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
fel bautista

Post by fel bautista »

I've picked up the whistle because of the pipes and got to play all three types (composite, aluminium and brass) when Michael brought his whistles to the So Cal Tionol. My impressions by a neophyte is that the composite looked like a bakelite kind of material and had a nice "woody" tone to it. His small bore brass D whistle sounded closer to my sweet tone D whistle. What was different was there was some "push" required, which I liked. I think that's what Pat alludes to in his posting. I'm going to buy both (D small bore and D composite) in the near future.

Have a good Christmas to all out there

Fel
Royce

Post by Royce »

djm wrote:Does anyone with experience with Burke whistles have any input on the many different materials he uses? He describes them on his site, but not the whys or wherefores. e.g. Bnat in aluminum or brass or resin.

Thx,

djm
I had his aluminum Pro for a while back when it was the best of his best, but there was no backpressure at all on it, so I eventually gave up on it no matter how good it sounded or played. There are a lot of high-end whistles like that though, so I don't know if it's some sort of flute-player preference, like just puckering up and blowing into the wind. Really weird feeling in my opinion, so I stuck with my little plastic headed Kerry.

Royce
djm

Post by djm »

Damn. :x I wish I had heard from you before I ordered two from Burke, a B and a D. Well, I guess I'm going to find out for myself. I already have the cheapo Generation and Oak whistles, a couple of Clarkes and a couple of Susatos. I still like the Generations best and the Susatos least. I'd like to find out what something a little higher end such as the Burkes play like.

djm
RobBBQ
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Drum maker and music enthusiast who also has a day job. Hoping to learn more about music and instruments on the forum!

Post by RobBBQ »

The whistles with a good bit of push to them are my faves also. I just got a Kerry pro low D from Phil that he'd set aside for someone who wanted more back pressure. Absolute phenom of a whistle. Dunno, but because I spend more time on the flute, I like whistles that have a more flute-like feel. Of all the whistles I've played, the ones by Grinter are the most consistently that way. I've got a high D and low F and they are excellent.

BTW, have you all seen the shots of P-Dog's new set on uilleannobession???....WOW!

R
brianc

Post by brianc »

djm wrote:Damn. :x I wish I had heard from you before I ordered two from Burke, a B and a D. Well, I guess I'm going to find out for myself. I already have the cheapo Generation and Oak whistles, a couple of Clarkes and a couple of Susatos. I still like the Generations best and the Susatos least. I'd like to find out what something a little higher end such as the Burkes play like.

djm
Frankly, I would caution you on even using those other names in the same sentence as the Burke name. The fact is, they don't compare at all. Generation? I had - past tense - HAD - 3 of them. Oak? Garbage.
Clarke? Only so-so, but it still pales in comparison to a Burke.

I have a composite High D, and for the money paid, it's more than worth its' price. You'll end up throwing those other whistles away after you get your Burke whistles, and you won't be sorry and you'll wonder why you ever waited.

You other Burke owners out there... am I exaggerating on this? 8)
Patrick D'Arcy

Post by Patrick D'Arcy »

Nope :)
djm wrote:Damn. :x I wish I had heard from you before I ordered two from Burke, a B and a D. Well, I guess I'm going to find out for myself.
What are you damning? Royce was talking aobut the old model low D which has zero backpressure (differenet to push)... backpressure makes the instrument vibrate through interaction of the harmonics... push means you have to blow harder. The new Viper Low D has huge backpressure and is a whole other instrument from its predecessor. If you ordered a low D from him djm be sure to specify Viper low D.... it's a great ould blower. If you ordered a regular high D then you'll be fine anyway. Both his narrow bore high D and regular high D are superb.

Happy New Year Ya'll!

Padge.
djm

Post by djm »

Nope. High D and B aluminum, as Kevin said they had a brighter sound (I hate a muffled whistle). I have a Howard low D and that convinced me I don't care for low whistles. I'll stick to my Casey Burns ergonomic D and (soon) Terry McGee B flutes for the low end. Thanks everybody for your input.

djm
brianc

Post by brianc »

djm wrote:I have a Howard low D and that convinced me I don't care for low whistles.
I don't know that I'd use that as a guide.
Royce

Post by Royce »

djm wrote:Nope. High D and B aluminum, as Kevin said they had a brighter sound (I hate a muffled whistle). I have a Howard low D and that convinced me I don't care for low whistles. I'll stick to my Casey Burns ergonomic D and (soon) Terry McGee B flutes for the low end. Thanks everybody for your input.

djm
Yeah, high whistles are a whole other thing. I was only talking about the old model low D. Low whistles are a different engineering problem, and if you just upscale the dimensions or whatever you end up puffing air into space. Sounds, plays great, but, damn, a lot of air just seeming to go freely away from you. The Howard isn't one of the bad low D's, but I chose the Kerry with the plastic head, I think mine's first generation, now called a "Pro" or something to denote that the holes haven't been mucked around to make for easier recorder-style covering. Much stronger low E for one thing.

Now I'm wanting to have another go at the new Burke--but I guess Kerry has a new low D supposedly with even more backpressure on it. Too many whistles. Too little money, too little time. Wouldn't mind though some day, the one thing my Kerry still does is a flattish B and C#. Maybe I'll cut another 1/8" off it. Then I can match those sharpish pipes and boxes all winter long....

Royce
piperdoc

Post by piperdoc »

djm, the burke B is the most amazing whistle i own. it is high enough to be extremely easy to play but low enough not to be as shrill as a D suprano. it is loud enough to play along with flat sets- someone elses, or your own using recording software. and it is great to play along and learn tunes recorded on B pipes. talking about recordings, matt malloy seems to not infrequently record with a B flute. another source of play-along tunes.
you will not regret that whistle

meir
djm

Post by djm »

:) Hey, thanks for the good news, Meir. I appreciate it, and it gives me more confidence as I (nearly) patiently await delivery. :D

djm