Hey all you fluters....................

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Nelson

piping in the cold

Post by Nelson »

Hi Tom, It must be a piece of work to keep horses warm enough in Alaska. The backside of my barn is a concrete wall about 8 feet tall in the back of a mountain. Out of the wall, about weast high comes a water pipe with a spicket on it. I built a closet (a water closet of old) around it with one inch foam board all inside and on the wall around it. It is only a few feet from the "jail bars" of my horse's stall and inside the stall I have a water bucket with a heater in the bottom. It only gets below zero Faurenheit in West Virginia ocatioinally, but it if it got 20 below I would panic. With a 100 watt light bulb in the wc it still lingeres on 38 to 40 degrees in the wc. Hope your horses get through the winter. Hope you do not go ster crazy.
When it is 40 degrees outside or warmer and I am driving the household crazy, I can go to the barn and pipe.

Hope you make it OK and get lots of piping done.

Jon C.
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

Do you guys and gals really have seasons? :-?
In Southern California it is either raining or sunny...
I am going on a two week retreat in 29 Palms desert, I will come back with a nice tan! 8)
Merry day after Christmas!
Jon
Whistlin'Dixie
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Whistlin'Dixie »

Yay, I sure remember those few years we spent in Southern California ~ I can't quite imagine a more perfect climate! Beach time every Sunday!

But I've grown quite accustomed to the heat and humidity in my part of the world ~

Tom, I just read in a magazine article that Ketchikan has an annual rainfall of 200 inches, on average. The person in the article (last name of Troll) joked that "it's like living underwater"....He is a local artist who draws fish., do you know of him?

Anyway, that's way more rain than I ever want to see in a year of my life! And I grew up in Seattle! :lol:
And I never want to see the kind of cold or snow we used to get in Wyoming !

Mary
Doug_Tipple
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Doug_Tipple »

Hi Tom,

I hope that you are doing well. Here is what I recommend for those long, long Winter's nights (and days). Go down to the general store and get one of those hot 500 watt sunlamps that they have on the after Christmas sale. You will need sunglasses and sunscreen, as well. Take it home and set it up in the kitchen. Brew some hot tea on the kitchen stove. Stick some pizza in the microwave oven. Now, get out your whistle and play one of the hot tunes from the Caribbean. I recommend the tune "All Day and All Night With Maryann" with steel drum accompaniment. How could it get any better? I envy you!

Best wishes,
Doug Tipple
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

Merry Christmas, and Happy New Year, and a safe, happy holiday season right back at'cha! :)

--James & Shannon and the Fuzzies

Here's a fuzzy who's had her nose in Christmas Snow:

Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

Doug_Tipple wrote:. . . Now, get out your whistle and play one of the hot tunes from the Caribbean. I recommend the tune "All Day and All Night With Maryann" with steel drum accompaniment. How could it get any better?

Scenery--you need scenery. Print this out and stick it on the front of the microwave. For additional atmosphere, PM me and I'll send you some sand from this beach.* You can sprinkle it on the floor--it'll be just like living in Florida until you manage to get it swept up (sometimes takes years). :wink:

*Offer not valid in countries with mailing restrictions!
Cotelette d'Agneau
andrewK

Post by andrewK »

I hope that California falls down while you are away JonC.
I keep hearing it's due.
andrewK

Post by andrewK »

What I mean is that , of course,I hope that California doesn't fall down, but if it has to .......
mvhplank
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Re: Hey all you fluters....................

Post by mvhplank »

Blackbeer wrote::D MERRY CHRISTMAS AND HAVE A WOUNDERFULL NEW YEAR :D

Tom
Back at'cha Tom!

I wondered where you had gotten to since I hadn't seen you over on the whistle side and my last e-mail bounced.

Keep warm and safe and have a great year!

Marguerite
Marguerite
Gettysburg
Blackbeer

Post by Blackbeer »

Marguerite!!!!!!! :D how are you doing? I swear to god I was thinking about you this past weekend. You and Blackhawk overthere and a couple more incredable humans are the reason my life has been taken over by the most redicoulussly challanging instrument I have ever incountered :boggle:
I got to get over to the whistle board way more often. I guess I am lost in the flute and only grab a whistle to calm my nerves when frustration creeps in. But they are always at hand. Well I have to talk to ya over on the other forum. So good to hear from you.
Jeez Doug, I`m going to give that a try. :o
Hey Mary, yes I do know his work. His gallery is a short walk from where I live. The rain is realy quite amazing realy. Though last summer was one of the dryest on record. There was a week of over 100 degrees with the high being 103. Most a-typical. But when it rains it doesn`t mess around.
Hey Nelson, unfortunetly, for me, the horses spend the winter about 1000 miles south of here on about 800 acres of pasture and won`t see a human till April. So I am spending the winter horseless. I don`t like it.
Last winter I was working horses in eastern Washington where the temp got down to 34 degrees below 0. The boys and I were giving midnight sleigh rides. Crazy. But your setup is very much the same as was mine in those winter years in Washington.
Flute time;

Tom
mvhplank

Post by mvhplank »

Blackbeer wrote:Marguerite!!!!!!! :D how are you doing? I swear to god I was thinking about you this past weekend. You and Blackhawk overthere and a couple more incredable humans are the reason my life has been taken over by the most redicoulussly challanging instrument I have ever incountered :boggle:
I got to get over to the whistle board way more often. I guess I am lost in the flute and only grab a whistle to calm my nerves when frustration creeps in. But they are always at hand. Well I have to talk to ya over on the other forum. So good to hear from you....

Flute time;

Tom
Well, big guy, I may be spending a little more time over here in flute country--Santa (who is a guitar player) bought me a Casey Burns Folk Flute (small hands version) so I've taken on that new challenge.

I'm suffering through air leaks (my fault, not the flute's) and my left hand no longer meets the original specs, but I'm getting better with practice. It's got a great tone for such a simple instrument and I'm falling in love with it.

Take care, dude,
M

PS--I might mention that I treated myself to a Busman for my birthday a while back, and it's a wonderful piece of work, too! Lots of reasons to practice :D
Marguerite
Gettysburg
Blackbeer

Post by Blackbeer »

Well I haven`t heard a discouraging word about the CB Folk flute. In fact I was about to order one when Jessie put a Rose up for sale. I never could afford one of his whistles but I sure am glad I went for his flute. Realy a great flute, and way to much fun to play. It will be fun watching another whistle convert get sucked into the abbissssss of flutedumb.
You know I have never heard a Bushmen but I always loved the way the look. I always grab either my Shaw (Jerry tweeked) or my old Gen (Blackhawk tweeked) or that weird C I have, the antique. Anyway I look forward to hearing how it goes and everyone here is full of usefull info and shoulders to cry on :)
Have fun, these things are incredable

Tom
mvhplank

Post by mvhplank »

Blackbeer wrote: It will be fun watching another whistle convert get sucked into the abbissssss of flutedumb.

... Anyway I look forward to hearing how it goes and everyone here is full of usefull info and shoulders to cry on :)
Have fun, these things are incredable

Tom
I have to confess I was a flute player--Boehm flute, anyway--before I was a whistle player, but I could never make the reach on a regular Irish flute. So at least I've got the skills to make a sound while I'm learning where the holes are.

Anyway, at the moment, the whistles are ahead in numbers (the Busman, about 4 Elfsongs, assorted plastic-fipple whistles in different keys, a Jerry-tweaked Shaw A, a fistful of Megs I got offa Lee, and various folk whistles of unknown keys), but the flutes are a close second. I've got my creaky old nickel-plated Bundy from grammar school (it gets loaned out to young musicians to see if they want to be flute players), two wooden Boehm flutes, an H. Bettony and a Haynes, an 1865-era Baroque flute (fife-size, about B-flat), and the new CBFF.

I tend to seize the poor FF in a death grip trying to make the holes seal (whether my fingers have managed to hit them or not) and giving myself hand cramps. So I'm playing s-l-o-w-l-y and trying to learn where my fingers go. When everything works right, the sound is great, and just the positive reinforcement I need to keep going :D
Marguerite
Gettysburg