3 Most popular pipe makers?

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Joseph E. Smith
antispam: No

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

glands wrote:Only the Pope is infallible...or at least so says he.
So, how is he on the pipes?
glands
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by glands »

Steampacket wrote who he thought was best....I thought the subject was re popular. Go back and read the topic.

How does one determine this? What is the true definition of popular? Maker with the longest wait list? The best pipemaker? The maker with the most sets out there?

Charles Roberts was popular for a time. I'd bet he has more sets out there than Dave Williams and Froment combined. Is he thus more popular? There are a lot of Gallagher sets out there as well. He's pretty popular I'd say.

Now, on to a more pertinent question.........sometimes, when typing fast, I type ont instead of not....or, taht instead of that.......does this have anything to do with the fact that I can't get a good clean trill to grace an Fn in the upper octave played with a key?

Bah, humbug.
BZH29

Post by BZH29 »

OK djm ! It's only I wish to say . On the second point OK too . :wink:
BZH29

Post by BZH29 »

Yes , glands , I believe the topic has been misunderstand ! Time is up to say wich pipemaker is the best or not . Today we have the chance to have many and many pipemakers . 50 years ago U.P. aimed to disappear . We are becoming too much particular about pipes and most of pipemakers make good instuments . We must learn to play them .
Douglas

Post by Douglas »

This subject has been brought up and beaten up many times, however I have wanted to ask who are the top makers of "C" sets in the USA. Who don't have a huge wait list. I would like to consider K&Q, but the list is too long. I would like to eventually have a 3/4 set. I am only thinking USA since I live here.

I have leaned toward Seth Gallagher. I have considered Rogge even though he is not in the USA.

P.S. I have heard a few Froment sets and they are amazing.
djm

Post by djm »

Joe Kennedy also makes C sets.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
piper91

Post by piper91 »

Salut Jean Luc (BZH29)

when you say
"We are becoming too much particular about pipes and most of pipemakers make good instuments"
That's "politicaly correct", even if we knows it's not the truth..."most of them", but few of them with constant quality...and that makes a great difference when you 're the final owner...

when you say
"We must learn to play them" ....... that's true; a good set of pipes doesn't mean good piping...

Merry Xmas to every pipers
me zo ganet e kreiz er mor
BZH29

Post by BZH29 »

I agree Pierre , but who tell that so and so is better maker than so and so ? It is not correct to say on the net that a pipemaker is not a good one but it is correct to say that one is good ! But I have already said that this topic is up for me :wink:
Bonne fêtes de Noël à toi et ta famille , peut-être à Lorient ?
The Dude

Post by The Dude »

Ont htat's htat!
I'm the dude!
djm

Post by djm »

Dude, your avatar, is that "Wave Hands as Clouds"?

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
fiddlinviolinin

Post by fiddlinviolinin »

As in the Tai Chi movement? Oh man, those days...

Anyways, I live in the US, so ya know... Seth Gallagher still for me!!!

Do any of you happen to know the wait list for ANY of the pipe makers in the US besides Seth Gallagher?

Cheers y'a'l'l',
Armand
Dave>

Post by Dave> »

When I listen to a set I am probably forming my opinion about them based on the reed/player combination rather than the maker, wood species, internal dimensions etc. If a maker builds 100 sets and sends them all over the world, imagine all of the environmental variables. I think good pipe makers have to be outstanding reed“ists”.
Bill Reeder

Post by Bill Reeder »

fiddlinviolinin wrote: Do any of you happen to know the wait list for ANY of the pipe makers in the US besides Seth Gallagher?

Cheers y'a'l'l',
Armand

Bruce Childress posts his wait/lead time on his web site - about 2 years last time I looked.
Bill

"... you discover that everything is just right: the drones steady and sonorous, the regulators crisp and tuneful and the chanter sweet and responsive. ... I really look forward to those five or six days every year." Robbie Hannan
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Unless it has really recently changed, David Boisvert's ( Greenwood Pipes, Minnesota) waiting list for a full set is 12-18 months. Dave does great work, and I am delighted with my new chanter from him.

Check it out @: http://www.greenwoodpipes.com/
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

djm wrote:Dude, your avatar, is that "Wave Hands as Clouds"?
Nah, he's just having fun waving back and forth between usernames. Hey, been listening to that radio station again, Dude (KLR)? :D