New piper and new message board groupie!

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
staceybassoon
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Hi there! I'm part of a traditional Irish band in the Detroit area called Seach I play mostly Irish flute and some whistle in the group. My flute is a Terry Mcgee and my D whistle is an Abell.

New piper and new message board groupie!

Post by staceybassoon »

Hello everyone! Last night I got a set of pracitce pipes for Christmas. I'm very excited! I have been playing whistle for quite some time, so I'm not too terribly intimidated by this whole thing...

I happen to be a music teacher and a bassoonist, which helps me in teaching myself how to play AND working with very strange fingerings.

I guess I don't really know where to start. I'm willing to go find a tutor, but I'd also like to be able to find a book that is going to give me the tips I need to know. Something geared toward experienced musicians, but new pipers.

Last year I played in an orchestra that toured parts of Ireland with Mícheál Ó Súilleabháin, Irish composer and head of the University of Limerick Irish World Music Centre and a few of his friends. We then did a concert in New York City to open the Irish House at New York University. There were some wonderful pipers there, and if any of them were you - you're my heros.

I'm looking forward to getting lots of advice from all of you!
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Hello Stacey, and welcome to the board. Congratulations on your practice set. What make is it?

The heather Clarke book and CD combo is a good tutor, also, check out the instruction videos from NPU.

http://www.pipers.ie/en/default.lasso

If you join NPU, you'll save 10% on both items. Good luck and happy piping to you. :)
Last edited by Joseph E. Smith on Tue Dec 21, 2004 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tony
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Re: New piper and new message board groupie!

Post by Tony »

staceybassoon wrote:....Something geared toward experienced musicians, but new pipers.....
Follow the same path.
Frequently asked questions:
http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php ... 424ab67688
Lorenzo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: New piper and new message board groupie!

Post by Lorenzo »

staceybassoon wrote:Hello everyone! Last night I got a set of pracitce pipes for Christmas.
Do you know who the maker is?
I'm looking forward to getting lots of advice from all of you!
Remember, this is a dry reed instrument! Never moisten the reed! I once saw an oboe player ruin his first reed by sticking it in his mouth. The uilleann pipes are different than other double reed instruments.

Take it slow. Never attempt to fix things without asking another experienced piper first. Never rely on the advice of other newbies, even here. Wait and see if other pipers agree. This will save you tons of grief.

Welcome to the wonderful world of piping despair!
Paul

Post by Paul »

Welcome, Stacey!
Staceybassoon wrote:I'm looking forward to getting lots of advice from all of you!
you've come to the right place. there are some very knowledgeable people frequenting this forum.
No E

Post by No E »

Hi Stacey,

There's a very active CCE branch in the Detroit area (home to the Al Purcell Tionól), so be sure to hook-up with some of the local pipers
http://www.speedlink.net/~cara/cce/index.html

Welcome and best wishes,

No E
brianc

Post by brianc »

Welcome to the dark side.... mwhooooahahhahahahahahaaaaaaaaaa.

Now, bring us some shrubbery!
morten
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by morten »

- couldn't I just cut down this tree with a herring?

And welcome Stacey - don't believe everything you hear on this forum :wink:

Who made your set?

/Morten
gregorygraham

Post by gregorygraham »

Stacey,

Sign up for a beginners class at the Langan weekend in Toronto coming up in January. A not too distant drive for you in Detroit.
Gregory Graham
Toronto
staceybassoon
Tell us something.: Hi there! I'm part of a traditional Irish band in the Detroit area called Seach I play mostly Irish flute and some whistle in the group. My flute is a Terry Mcgee and my D whistle is an Abell.

Post by staceybassoon »

Thanks for the welcome! :) As for the make..... hmmm... I wish I knew. It came in a make-shift box, and I think I'm missing some sort of bell that screws onto the bottom of the chanter. It's this one though

http://www.shopirish.com/irish/Music-an ... ti-9B.html

Yeah, I know about the reed, I've had an antique chanter for a long time.

Stacey
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

You're gonna want to get something much, much better. No offense, but these sets are useless, and will really create some bad headaches for you. Sorry for the bad news.
Harry

Post by Harry »

Maybe you could get someone to put a good reed in the antique chanter that you have? What make is it?

You won't be long outgrowing the practice set you have there if it's anything like the examples of the same model that I've tried.

In fairness they did have an alright-*ish* first octave (from an entry level practice point of view).

Good luck,

Harry.
ausdag

Post by ausdag »

Welcome....One positive to playing the pipes as opposed to the basoon is just how long your reeds will (should) last. I had a friend who was principle oboeist in one of the state orchestras here and she nearly had a heart attack when I told her that my reed had been in service for about 8 years. After she picked her jaw up from the floor she told me that she would be lucky if her reed lasted, I forget now, someting like 3 or 4 months?? Anyway, she was mighty impressed.
David (ausdag) Goldsworthy
http://ozuilleann.weebly.com/
ausdag

Post by ausdag »

Joseph E. Smith wrote:Image

Would you trust and advert that had a piper with a grin like THAT whislt playing the pipes!!!!!!!
ausdag

Post by ausdag »

......"I've REALLY got to see a physio about these tingly fingers and numb elbows".