Kill Bill II

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Father Emmet
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Kill Bill II

Post by Father Emmet »

I mentioned to some co-workers that I played wooden flute, and they said "oh, like David Carradine in Kill Bill II?" I haven't seen the movie, what are they talking about? Is it a bamboo flute like he had in Kung Fu?
michael_coleman
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play the first flute Jon Cochran ever made but haven't been very active on the board the last 9-10 years. Life happens I guess...I owned a keyed M&E flute for a while and I kind of miss it.

Post by michael_coleman »

I think it may be a native american flute or a walking stick flute....either way, it sounds very cool and a classic movie, but I guess all of Tarantino's films have the classic aura about them.
beowulf573

Post by beowulf573 »

I've read that Carradine made the flute himself. I seem to remember him playing the flute in "Kung Fu" and "Circle of Iron" aka "The Silent Flute".
Eddie
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. -Groucho Marx
AaronMalcomb

Post by AaronMalcomb »

On the "Special Features" of the DVD I think Carradine says it's the flute from "Kung Fu." I rented it from netflix so I can't go back and double check. It's like a bamboo, walking-stick flute.

Cheers,
Aaron
Father Emmet

Post by Father Emmet »

I thought it was either the Kung Fu flute, which I seem to remember being of the walking stick type, or one of those fat Japanese end blown ones.. Thanks for the replies. Wow, Circle of Iron! I forgot all about that one, good movie. The one with Eli Wallach disolving himself in a vat of oil right? Carradine played all the adversaries to the lead character?
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

Hi,
Ya, Carradine said it was the same flute that he used in Kung fu.
Romy makes a replica of this flute, he was selling them on ebay a while back.
Jon
bildio
Tell us something.: I am registering due to interest in flutes and small pipes. I also have an interest in numerous other musical instruments.

Post by bildio »

I didn't see the movie, but did the flute look like this one?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 3769880522

Bill
beowulf573

Post by beowulf573 »

It's been a while since I've seen the movie but it seems very close.

Now I'll have to watch it again. :D
Eddie
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. -Groucho Marx
bildio
Tell us something.: I am registering due to interest in flutes and small pipes. I also have an interest in numerous other musical instruments.

Post by bildio »

I just watched the movie - WOW!!!

The DVD, Behind the Scenes, mentions that Bill's flute is one of the flutes used by David Carridine for the Kung Fu series.

The flute he plays is indeed like the one on eBay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 3769880522

Bill
Last edited by bildio on Mon Dec 20, 2004 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

Jon C. wrote:Hi,

Romy makes a replica of this flute, he was selling them on ebay a while back.
Jon
Geez,
I said Romy was making them... :roll:
bildio

Embouchure Hole Position

Post by bildio »

Watching the flute sequence, in Kill Bill 2, I noticed that the flute's embouchure hole is about in the middle of the very long flute. I wonder what affect this has on its timbre, i.e., compared to being at the more traditional position?

Bill
glauber

Re: Embouchure Hole Position

Post by glauber »

bildio wrote:Watching the flute sequence, in Kill Bill 2, I noticed that the flute's embouchure hole is about in the middle of the very long flute. I wonder what affect this has on its timbre, i.e., compared to being at the more traditional position?
Probably nothing. There is probably a bamboo node ("wall") just to the left of the blowhole, which has the same function as the cork stopper in a wooden flute. The rest of the stick doesn't matter. I guess putting the blowhole in the middle makes a more balanced instrument, in this case.
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Ralph Sweet makes walking-stick flutes, the embouchure hole
far down, relatively. These sound quite good, IMO.
Functional as walking sticks, too.
But I sooner or later lose walking sticks.
bildio

Post by bildio »

Anyone have experience with this maker's flutes?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 3771917012

Unlike the RomyB KB flute, this one has a thumb hole, so it can be played like a Shakuhachi.

Bill