How Is This Possible???

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Sunnywindo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

How Is This Possible???

Post by Sunnywindo »

Yesterday, while we were flipping through channels looking for something my son could watch, we ran across "The Littles" (a cartoon from the 80's). I was surprised to remember it, and even more surprised to see it on the screen. The channel was a bit fuzzy, but we watched it anyway. As I have observed this station, I couldn't help but note the commercials for upcoming shows broadcasting the channel name "watch (such and such show) here on UPN Northwest Florida".

Uh?

:boggle:

I live just north of Salt Lake City, Utah. And there is a station (a bit fuzzy but watchable and even at times coming in clearer than certain local stations) that looks to be out of Northwestern Florida. The channel is still there today, and I think it's been there for a long time, but I've never paid much attention to it.

How is this possible????

The only thing I use is a little antenna that hooks on the back of my tv (commonly known as "rabbit ears" around here). No cable, no sattellite, nothing on my roof. Nothing fancy.

Explaination anyone?

Also, anyone else have odd experiences of getting TV channels/radio stations from far away places that logically, they shouldn't have been recieving?

Mmmm....

:o Sara
'I wish it need not have happend in my time,' said Frodo.
'So do I,' said Gandalf, 'and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.'

-LOTR-
TomB

Re: OT: How Is This Possible???

Post by TomB »

Sunnywindo wrote:Yesterday, while we were flipping through channels looking for something my son could watch, we ran across "The Littles" (a cartoon from the 80's). I was surprised to remember it, and even more surprised to see it on the screen. The channel was a bit fuzzy, but we watched it anyway. As I have observed this station, I couldn't help but note the commercials for upcoming shows broadcasting the channel name "watch (such and such show) here on UPN Northwest Florida".

Uh?

I live just north of Salt Lake City, Utah. And there is a station (a bit fuzzy but watchable and even at times coming in clearer than certain local stations) that looks to be out of Northwestern Florida. The channel is still there today, and I think it's been there for a long time, but I've never paid much attention to it.

How is this possible????

The only thing I use is a little antenna that hooks on the back of my tv (commonly known as "rabbit ears" around here). No cable, no sattellite, nothing on my roof. Nothing fancy.

Explaination anyone?

Also, anyone else have odd experiences of getting TV channels/radio stations from far away places that logically, they shouldn't have been recieving?

Mmmm....

...as Twilight Zone music plays softly in the background.

Tom
"Consult the Book of Armaments"
aderyn_du
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by aderyn_du »

Sunnywindo wrote: Also, anyone else have odd experiences of getting TV channels/radio stations from far away places that logically, they shouldn't have been recieving?

Mmmm....

Once, years ago in junior high, I decided to learn to play bass guitar-- beacause I was in love with John Taylor of Duran Duran, mind you-- and for some reason, every now and again my amp would pick up a radio station from Mexico. It was so bizarre.
Music melts all the separate parts of our bodies together. ~Anais Nin
amar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

Sunnywindo wrote:Yesterday, while we were flipping through channels looking for something my son could watch, we ran across "The Littles" (a cartoon from the 80's). I was surprised to remember it, and even more surprised to see it on the screen. The channel was a bit fuzzy, but we watched it anyway. As I have observed this station, I couldn't help but note the commercials for upcoming shows broadcasting the channel name "watch (such and such show) here on UPN Northwest Florida".

Uh?

How is this possible????

Explaination anyone?

Mmmm....

it's the crystal people, silly.
Denny

Post by Denny »

The signal can bounce of the ionospere.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=& ... tnG=Search

[/url]
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

aderyn_du wrote:Once, years ago in junior high, I decided to learn to play bass guitar-- beacause I was in love with John Taylor of Duran Duran
Oooooo...I had a poster of him in my room. :D I didn't learn how to play the bass guitar though because of my infatuation. Do you still know how to play?
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

amar wrote:it's the crystal people, silly.
Now why didn't I think of that? Everything now makes perfect sense! :wink:
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
aderyn_du

Post by aderyn_du »

izzarina wrote:
aderyn_du wrote:Once, years ago in junior high, I decided to learn to play bass guitar-- beacause I was in love with John Taylor of Duran Duran
Oooooo...I had a poster of him in my room. :D I didn't learn how to play the bass guitar though because of my infatuation. Do you still know how to play?
That's too funny izz! I had pictures of him taped all over my desk, along with John Stamos-- remember Blackie, from General Hospital? :lol: Then in high school, it was Johnny Depp, from his 21 Jump Street role. Kind of have to wonder about the fact that they were all named John. :P

As to the bass, I have vague recollection of one little part of an Ozzy Osbourne song, but that's about it. I've thought about trying it again... one of these days. :boggle:

(I wonder if I could have put any more emoticons in that post??)
Music melts all the separate parts of our bodies together. ~Anais Nin
OutOfBreath

Post by OutOfBreath »

It's possible that it's bounce. My brother's a ham and I seem to recall him saying something about another of the periodic (every few decades) cycles coming up where bounce is going to increase. I remember when I was a kid we were at the peak of a cycle and you would occasionally get a brief bounce on the CB from unlikely and distant places.

However, since it's so steady I rather think it's more likely that somebody in your neighborhood has a satellite receiver that is leaking, perhaps in the IF.
John
-------
The Internet is wonderful. Surely there have always been thousands of people deeply concerned about my sex life and the quality of my septic tank but before the Internet I never heard from any of them.
raindog1970
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by raindog1970 »

Atmospheric disturbances sometimes have amazing effects on radio and television transmissions.
Back in the 1980's I was hooked on sideband radios... I never had a legitimate HAM license, and never knew anyone else who did either! :lol:
When sunspot activity was high, or around the time of an equinox, it was always interesting to see how far away you could talk... ah yes, back in the good old days before the Internet! :P
I also remember one time years ago when I turned on my home stereo and could only pick up Oriental music... even the local stations were drowned out! :boggle:
It only lasted for a few minutes before everything returned to normal, but it's something that I'll always remember... it's very rare for an incident that powerful to take place.
Regards,
Gary Humphrey

♪♣♫Humphrey Whistles♫♣♪

[Raindogs] The ones you see wanderin' around after a rain. Ones that can't find their way back home. See the rain washes off the scent off all the mail boxes and the lamposts, fire hydrants. – Tom Waits
susnfx

Post by susnfx »

Maybe it's Utah, Sara. When I was a teenager growing up in southern Utah we couldn't get radio stations from Salt Lake City or even Las Vegas. For years the only rock station we could pick up was KOMA in Oklahoma City. Clear as a bell. Every night (not during the day). Go figure.

Susan
Darwin

Post by Darwin »

When I lived in Houston, between 1958 and 1962, I could pick up radio station WLAC in Nashville between about 1 and 3 am, during at least part of the year.

The Randy's Record Mart show was one of the biggies for blues, like BB King, John Lee Hooker, etc. and R&B. The ads were mostly for Black-oriented products like "Silky Straight" and "Light and Bright".

On the country/gospel side, there was, among others, Wayne Raney and the Raney Family ("We Need a Whole Lot More of Jesus, and a Lot Less Rock and Roll"), and ads for the "resurrection plant", crucifix TV lights, pieces of the original Cross, and a harmonica just like the one that Wayne played. (I do not believe that they really sold autographed photos of Jesus, as some have claimed.) A lot of the programming seemed to be identical to XREF.
Last edited by Darwin on Thu Dec 16, 2004 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

The Tulsa UPN station carries The Littles, which was my favorite as a child. I liked the craft segments at the end. Also, the voice of Grandpa Little was that guy who played Hank Kimball on Green Acres.
Reasonable person
Walden
BrassBlower

Post by BrassBlower »

When I was a teenager, I would often keep my radio on at night and pick up such distant AM rock stations as WLS (Chicago) (John Landecker ROCKED!), XEROK (Exe-E-Ere-O-Ka) (Juarez, Mexico) and CKLW (Windsor, Ontario). Not sure what their formats are these days.
https://www.facebook.com/4StringFantasy

I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.

-Galileo
buddhu

Post by buddhu »

I used to get that thing with the guitar amp. I think the guitar lead acted as an antenna and I'd get bits of radio broadcast and cab drivers... Doesn't happen with the amp I use now though.

When I was a kid with a CB they used to call that atmospheric bouncing phenomenon 'skip' and everyone used to go on about how they'd spoken to people in USA and Canada on a normal 4 watt SSB rig with a car antenna (yeah, right...)

I did once get to briefly talk to a guy in Exeter one 'skippy' evening. And that's gotta be 150 miles from where I am (total guess - my geography is cr*p).

Oh, and of course sometimes it *is* the crystal people...
And whether the blood be highland, lowland or no.
And whether the skin be black or white as the snow.
Of kith and of kin we are one, be it right, be it wrong.
As long as our hearts beat true to the lilt of a song.