Anybody selling a decent AND inexpensive flute in F?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
MurphyStout
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Anybody selling a decent AND inexpensive flute in F?

Post by MurphyStout »

I got alot of old great recordings of players playing in F and I'd like to get a flute in that key so I could learn from them. I'm not looking for anything really fancy here. Do you guys know where I could find a pretty cheap flute in F?

Thanks,
Jack
No I'm not returning...
ChrisLaughlin
antispam: No

Post by ChrisLaughlin »

Jack -
Why don't you get an Olwell bamboo in F? They're relatively cheap and play brilliantly.

Peace,
Chris
rh
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by rh »

i wonder if Doug Tipple could build an F for you? he makes tuneable D, Eb and G flutes out of PVC. M&E makes an F out of delrin but it's $250, which may be getting out of the inexpensive range.

rh
there is no end to the walking
Henke

Post by Henke »

Michael Cronnolly's flutes are always amazing in quality and workmanship. With $250 I think it would be really hard to find a better bang for the buck.
www.irishflutes.net
andrewK

Post by andrewK »

I wonder if our hero, Jon C, can come up with the goods.
WE NEED TO KNOW !
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

Sorry,
no recipe for a F flute... I am thinking of a Bb flute, but that is going the other direction!
Jon C.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

I'd also recommend an Olwell bamboo F. I love mine. You should be able to pick one up for around $100. This is about the time of the year that Pat's list closed for a few months last year so, if you want one new, you might want to get in touch with him straight away. I haven't noticed them come up secondhand very often but when I did I pounced.
andrewK

Post by andrewK »

What do you mean by no recipes, JonC ? Just no plan to make an F flute ?
I have the Rudall & Rose and the Boosey & Co cocuswood F flutes ( Both 8 key, though the latter has the C keys AWOL at the moment ) at present being looked after by the Flutemaster.
I am sure that any measurements you need could be made available to you.
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

Hi Andrew,
Thanks for the offer. Is there much of a market for this key? It would be fun to make, but turning another set of reamers is a drag...
The bore measurements are critical, say .2mm gradations, starting at the top of the cone. then the length of the joints. and finely the size and location of the toneholes. etc.
If you are up to that, I will crank out a F R&R!
Jon
andrewK

Post by andrewK »

Perhaps you should see how many of your admirers are interested in ordering an F flute before you go to any expense.
They can queue in an orderly line on this thread.
I know that the Flutemaster ( whom some rotten little contributors to this forum do not like me mentioning - but they'll hear nothing from him ! ) has orders, even though the late M insisted that nobody was interested, when he was looking to buy one !
Jon C.

Post by Jon C. »

Sound good Andrew. I think I would like to make a Bb first, there might be more interest.
There is a little R&D involved in making a new flute.
I imagine that the holes are a nice easy reach, so it would be nice for younger players.
Jon C.
rh

Post by rh »

Jon C. wrote:Is there much of a market for this key?
i have two F flutes, one by Mark Hoza and a Sunreed bamboo, both of which I ordered after seeing JM Veillon several years ago. then again i just bought a low F whistle, so maybe i just like the key :)
there is no end to the walking
Steven
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Steven »

Ralph Sweet (Sweetheart Flutes) makes flutes in F. You might give them a try.

:-)
Steven
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

I honestly can't say enough good things about Mr. Olwell's bamboo F. It's so much fun it's positively sinful, and you really can't beat the price (plus I love the way it smells like caramel :lol:!).
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

Cathy Wilde wrote:I honestly can't say enough good things about Mr. Olwell's bamboo F. It's so much fun it's positively sinful, and you really can't beat the price (plus I love the way it smells like caramel :lol:!).
I played mine earlier tonight and loved it, as always. But I can't completely agree with you. It smells much nicer than caramel. :D