Cherish the Ladies

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
rkottke
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Cherish the Ladies

Post by rkottke »

I saw Cherish the Ladies last Tuesday night in Stoughton, Wisconsin. Their performance was good, and Joanne’s whistle playing was very good. But in the last couple years, after seeing live performances by Altan and Solas, Cherish the Ladies just seemed too sedate.
Sláinte
PhilO
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by PhilO »

God willing, some day I too may be that "sedate."

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
brewerpaul
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Cherish the Ladies

Post by brewerpaul »

rkottke wrote: But in the last couple years, after seeing live performances by Altan and Solas, Cherish the Ladies just seemed too sedate.
'way different stuff. Altan and Solas to me sound more like Celtic rock n' roll. Cherish is more traditional, but not as trad as some others. I love'em all for what they are.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

rkottke wrote:Joanne’s whistle playing was very good.
Oh, they have a new whistle player? ;)
~JessieD
chas

Post by chas »

brewerpaul wrote:
rkottke wrote: But in the last couple years, after seeing live performances by Altan and Solas, Cherish the Ladies just seemed too sedate.
'way different stuff. Altan and Solas to me sound more like Celtic rock n' roll. Cherish is more traditional, but not as trad as some others. I love'em all for what they are.
I agree with the remark on Solas, but the last time I saw Altan and CTL (about 3-4 years ago), I would have said Altan was way more traditional. The first thing I noticed with CTL was a silver flute and an electric piano, they sang some self-penned songs, etc. (I had never heard any of their stuff before, but bought a few CDs after that to see if I'd warm up to them, and I never have.) Altan, OTOH, were totally acoustic, did all traditional tunes (I don't think any of the songs were even in English) and I found them a really wonderful IrTrad act.

Solas were a really great quasi-traditional act several years ago, but have somehow lost their way. If they could only get back at least 40% of the original lineup, some of their original motivation. . .
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
BrassBlower
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by BrassBlower »

***OBLIGATORY REPLY***

(You knew that was coming, didn't ya?) :P

I have not had the experience of seeing Solas or Altan yet (even though I have a HUGE crush on Mairead. :oops: Yes, Mrs. BB knows I do.), but I have seen CTL 5 times. In the end, it really doesn't matter how well they played, because it's like a big family reunion after the concert! At least Mary and Joanie always have a hug or two for us. :)
https://www.facebook.com/4StringFantasy

I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.

-Galileo
brewerpaul

Post by brewerpaul »

JessieK wrote:
Jessie, Jessie, Jessie.... :roll:
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
BrassBlower

Post by BrassBlower »

brewerpaul wrote:
JessieK wrote:
Jessie, Jessie, Jessie.... :roll:
:lol:
https://www.facebook.com/4StringFantasy

I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.

-Galileo
sweet potato
Tell us something.: I am here to change my password and also to see what the market may look like should I decide to sell my lovely Sam Murray flute.

Re. Cherish the Ladies

Post by sweet potato »

Greetings all,

This post has prompted me to register and join in the conversation, finally. I, too, saw CTL earlier this week in Wisconsin. I continue to believe that Joanie Madden is a phenomenal player, and an inspiration. Triona Ni Dhomhnaill is also touring with the band, which was a delightful surprise. I encourage other C&Fers to catch a show if you can. Incidentally, I have also attended both Solas and Altan shows in the past, and although they are all different bands, I would happily go see any of them again.

Happy Friday,

SP
Jerry Freeman

Post by Jerry Freeman »

Hi, Sweetater!

Welcome aboard.

Best wishes,
Jerry
Redwolf

Re: Re. Cherish the Ladies

Post by Redwolf »

sweet potato wrote:Greetings all,

This post has prompted me to register and join in the conversation, finally. I, too, saw CTL earlier this week in Wisconsin. I continue to believe that Joanie Madden is a phenomenal player, and an inspiration. Triona Ni Dhomhnaill is also touring with the band, which was a delightful surprise. I encourage other C&Fers to catch a show if you can. Incidentally, I have also attended both Solas and Altan shows in the past, and although they are all different bands, I would happily go see any of them again.

Happy Friday,

SP
I just wish that any of them would come here!

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!