Somewhat OT: Anybody use CDbaby?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
markv
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Somewhat OT: Anybody use CDbaby?

Post by markv »

My Band, Kusi Taki, just released a new CD and re-released our first one from 1997 and are looking for a good online vender service. CDbaby was recommended as a good service. From what I understand they do all the shipping and whatnot, we just send them a supply of CDs and they take a cut.

This isn't ITM it's ATM (Andean Traditional Music).

If you want to check out some sound clips from both albums see

http://www.kusitaki.com

The website is still being developed and is a bit crude but functional. I'm the balding guy on the left playing what looks like a low D whistle but is actually a low D quenacho. I also play a low G and high D whistle and a Irish flute, panpipes, drum and a low C quenacho.

Thanks,

Mark V.
Fairy tales are more than true: not because
they tell us that dragons exist, but because
they tell us that dragons can be beaten.

G. K. Chesterton
Redwolf
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

I only know them from the buyer's end, but they've been a wonderful service to work with...very prompt with the orders (and their confirmation emails are hilarious!). I also think it's neat that they solicit feedback from CD purchasers for the artists.

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
Darwin

Post by Darwin »

I don't know how it is from the musician's standpoint, but I've ordered several CDs from them, and the experience is always good. And, if they're out of a CD, you can have them notify you when it comes in.

Also, they have links to the musicians Web sites and contact email. I understand they also pass on info on purchases directly to the musicians.

Also, they post nice long sound clips that make it easier to decide what to buy.

You could probably email some of the musicians and ask them, if you don't get any responses here.

The ones I've bought are:

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/lonesomesisters
http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/lonesomesisters2
http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/jimmyjohnnyjoe
http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/crookedstill

The last of those includes an old (actually, young) friend of mine, Rushad Eggleston. He would probably give you a straight answer.
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe
chattiekathy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Well dang, I just want to change my password. looking for that correct page! Thank you! Ohh good grief, I get it, you have to be careful who you let in because of spammers, but sigh.... I'm in a hurry, can we move this along please. :)

Post by chattiekathy »

Lolly Cross and Byll are both C&Fer's and they both have CD's there. I am sure if you PM them, They will tell you all about CDBaby.

Cheers,
Kathy :)
~*~Creativity is God's gift to you. What you do with it is your gift to God~*~
Tak_the_whistler

Post by Tak_the_whistler »

I'm another end user, but I'm trying to convince my church band that CDBaby is the best supplier if they're going online. They're in the process of making a praise and worship CD and, as a shopkeeper in my church (sells CDs and books), I'd really want them to also "go online" and sell their CDs so that many people can listen to.

I think if I'm in charge of the sales section I'd choose CDBaby no matter what. The services to the seller/buyer is great.

Seller;
--a web page dedicated to showcasing your CD
--www.cdbaby.com/yourname
--take all credit card orders for your CD
--email every time your CD is sold to tell you who bought it!
--you set your selling price at whatever you want.
--we keep $4 per CD sold.
--we pay checks every week to everyone who wants to be paid!
--There is a one-time-ever $35 charge to set up a new CD, and that $35 lasts forever

Buyer;
--fast and clear notification emails (when ordered/shipped)
--an extra (different) CD whenever you place an order
--fast shipping with minimum charges

I think you can't go wrong. :)
<><
Tak
---------------------------------------
<b>"Nothing can be yours by nature."</b>
--- Lewis
Byll
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Long ago, I was told that I faked iTrad whistle work very well. I took that comment to heart. 20 years of private lessons - and many, many hours of rehearsal later - I certainly hope I have improved...

Post by Byll »

CD Baby are excellent at what they do. An active independent band will usually sell most CD product at concerts. Those venues are certainly our main outlet...I do not expect CD Baby to give us that type of volume. However, they are invaluable as a place that clients can easily access, to hear our music before purchase. They are fair and their business ethics are impeccable. I am fully aware that Amazon is much bigger. However they charge much more for their services...

Good luck in your endeavors.
Best.
Byll
'Everything Matters...'
Lisa Diane Cope 1963-1979
Steven

Post by Steven »

Glauber also has a couple of CDs for sale at CDBaby. Glauber, any thoughts on your experience with them?

:-)
Steven
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

Another nice thing CD Baby does is allow bands to do credit card sales even when they're direct selling at a venue rather than selling through the web. I bought a CD at the Highland Games in October and, when they ran my credit card, they informed me that "CD Baby" would show up on my statement rather than the name of the band (and even gave me a nice, pre-printed card as a reminder). While I'm sure that cuts into the bands profits a little, in this day and age, it's often the only way people have to buy CDs at concerts and festivals, as fewer people are carrying that much cash and checks are so easy to steal and forge.

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
lollycross

Post by lollycross »

Hi,
As Byll and Kathy said, I also have my CDs listed on CD Baby.
When you have your CD listed you have a "my items" area
and it tells you who bought one and where all your "listens" have
come from. It is very useful for record-keeping.
All the things other have said are true also.
My only "complaint" is that after about 2 or 3 months, your CD is
no longer profiled on the "new releases" area and it gets buried in
the alphebetical section. So that means we all need to come out with
a new CD every 3 months, right!!! :lol:
Lolly
John-N

Post by John-N »

Our band http://www.kilkennyroad.com/ has used 3 different internet CD distributors, and CDBaby was definately the best and the only one of the three I would recommend.

-John