Edirol R1

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Davey
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Edirol R1

Post by Davey »

Well,

I finally got my R1 in the post today. I'm going to spend the next hour or so pouring over the manual. I'll make some pub/session recordings this week and post a review later this week. It's only 1 inch thick, and 5 x 4.75. Fits snugly in the palm of my hand, EASILY into my coat pocket and is quite light.

I will warn you all however, that it's a difficult item to get ahold of. It release in the US seems to have been delayed by a few months and suppliers seem to be having a tough time getting them in stock. I think they underestimated the market's response.

Stay tuned,
David
poisenoire

r-1

Post by poisenoire »

Where oh where did you get yours from?

I've been on waiting lists for weeks at three different locations, and they haven't been able to tell me a thing!

Kevin
Davey

initial reaction

Post by Davey »

Well...first off..a very well written and helpful manual. This thing is loaded with great functions and versatility. Looks like I'll be selling my old marantz tape recorder/player...

I've made some initial voice as well as instrumental recordings and find this thing extremely easy to use..easy user interface...

I found mine through a computer and audio store in california. After weeks of trying to discover when they MIGHT get their order, they got ONE in stock...and I was luckily first on the list.
elbogo

Post by elbogo »

Very cool, Davey. Can't wait for your ongoing review.
Joseph E. Smith
antispam: No

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

David, is this the device you will be using to post sound samples on your web site?
Davey

hmm

Post by Davey »

Eventually..yes.

I
poisenoire

R-1

Post by poisenoire »

Thanks for the info David.

By chance, have you been able to compare the R-1 with the Marantz PMD670 unit? I've been scouting both of these and not really sure which way to go.

I like the XLR inputs on the PMD670 and some of the other 'pro' features, but it isn't exactly portable like the R-1 is.

Kevin
Davey

hmm

Post by Davey »

Well....I've always liked my marantz...(the tape version) it's served me well. I've had to send it in for repairs. But it is large and cumbersome..the pmd 670 weighs just over 4 lbs. while the teeny weeny eddie weighs 260 grams.
The 670 is about $300 more expensive and the eddie seems to have all the same features (plus some others the mrantz doesn't have). The eddie is a "new" product, while the marantz has some field experience under it's belt...

..so..some things to consider. I'll be heading out later this week to make some field recordings and give it a good trial run. I'm also going to upgrade to a 2gig flash card to add that to the experience....more to come!
poisenoire

marantz / edirol

Post by poisenoire »

Indeed,

those are the very specs that have me deciding between the two. I'll be interested to hear your feedback after your on-site recording trials.

Have you found the internal mics to be of quality, or are they typical internal mics but in a stereo config?

I guess the mics would be the biggest issue for me. If they are decent, and you get away with it all in that small package then it is perfect. If I end up having to carry and X-Y stereo mic pair just to get decent recording with it then I might as well carry the extra couple of pounds and get the marantz w/ phantom power.

Kevin
No E

Post by No E »

Now if Edirol would just put 50+gig hard drive in that little devil...

No E
tommykleen
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am interested in the uilleann pipes and their typical -and broader- use. I have been composing and arranging for the instrument lately. I enjoy unusual harmonic combinations on the pipes. I use the pipes to play music of other cultures.

Post by tommykleen »

Edirol...isn't that something that someone passed around at a party I attended back in Art School?

...didn't come down for a week :oops:

t
Brazenkane

Post by Brazenkane »

I ordered mine after Edirol told me they're trickling them out. Edirol is essentially Roland! Btw-there are 4 gig flash cards avail. but prrrrrrrr-icey!
I wouldn't buy ANYTHING made by Marantz nowa days. I did a reveiw for them sometime back...they sent me a product. Musicians have nothing to do with the design of their products.

...now the Edirol....that's a diff. story altogether
Give a man a wooden reed and he'll play in the driest of weather,
Teach a man to make a wooden reed,
and the both of ye will go insane!
kmalden

Post by kmalden »

how does the quality compare to, say, either a sony dat or minidisc ?
halfway in between ?
everyone keeps telling me that dats are a thing of the past, but i've been considering getting one to get the most of my xlr mikes
Brazenkane

Post by Brazenkane »

There is NO comparison to the MD. The Edirol sounds like a CD at 320kbps..never mind 16 and 24 bit ..which it can do. it is truely an amazing unit. FINALLY...we can now move beyond MD recording. i.e. this is easy..the effects w.in are very nice too. You can even master you recording in the unit itself. Simply amazing. forget getting DAT. You're moving in the wrong direction. the sound good, but they are TAPE afterall. The internal mics ROCK and are crystal clear.

can't say enough good things about mine. ebay your MD and don't buy a DAT ...just my humble opinion.

I got mine here www.bswusa.com
they threw in a free set of Sennheiser headphones... not too shapbby
Give a man a wooden reed and he'll play in the driest of weather,
Teach a man to make a wooden reed,
and the both of ye will go insane!
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

This Korg PXR4 4-Track Digital Recorder uses SmartMedia cards too. I wonder how it compares to the Edirol. The Edirol has two tracks (one stereo), but I wonder if they both have the same capable signals (mpeg, wave, mp3, etc.) reading the Korg Product Descriptions, and the Edirol's.
$299 and 4.8 in. x 4.25 in. x 1.33 in.