McGee flutes

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Loren
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

claudine wrote:Loren, thanks for your advice, I will ask him. But I never use lipstick anyway. Hey man, I'm the reincarnation of Jeanne d'Arc!
:thumbsup:

Loren
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

I'd like to ask Loren and anybody else who
might know the point of lip plates on simple
system flutes.
One use, I know, is protecting against
allegies to cocus--but this sort of thing
aside, does it help tone?
andrewK

Post by andrewK »

They are rather pretty.
Especially against the shine of the blackwood.

I hope to have a silver one installed on my Wilkes keyless when funds permit, partly for the interest in seeing it installed, if Chris doesn't mind.

I find no problem with lipstick when using silver lip plates.
I tend to find artificial anything rather tacky ! Silver is pretty cheap and attractive.Why not use it ?
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Am I right in concluding that there is no acoustic
advantage?
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

To my best knowledge the purpose of lip plates is as a stopgap against allergic reactions to tropical hardwoods. Other than that, it's cosmetic. A silver lip plate on a keyed stick does look good; sorta like adding a bowtie to the tuxedo, but there isn't a lot of practical point to it if you're not experiencing allergic reactions. Of course, that shouldn't stop one. A well-made flute is a thing of beauty as well as of music, and a lip plate can add to a good appearance.
rh

Post by rh »

andrewK wrote:They are rather pretty.
Nanohedron wrote: a lip plate can add to a good appearance.
yes, it DOES look rather stylish...
Last edited by rh on Mon Dec 06, 2004 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
there is no end to the walking
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

:o :lol: :lol:
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Nanohedron wrote:To my best knowledge the purpose of lip plates is as a stopgap against allergic reactions to tropical hardwoods. Other than that, it's cosmetic. A silver lip plate on a keyed stick does look good; sorta like adding a bowtie to the tuxedo, but there isn't a lot of practical point to it if you're not experiencing allergic reactions. Of course, that shouldn't stop one. A well-made flute is a thing of beauty as well as of music, and a lip plate can add to a good appearance.
Yes, remember the cocus Olwell keyless with the silver
lip plate that was sold here a little while ago?
Oh, my.
wolvy

Post by wolvy »

Bretton wrote:
wolvy wrote:Terry made a 2-key GLP flute for me this last spring and he did it in about 4 months - about what he quoted in wait time. I love the flute, by the way.
Which two keys did you get? I'm considering G# and F-natural, but can't decide if I should get short F or long F. Anyone have suggestions on which F might be most useful?

The only tune I really play with an F-nat right now has a phrase that goes E - Fnat - E - D... which makes it pretty easy to half-hole but this gives a weak fuzzy note on my current flute.

-Brett

I got the G# and the short F. If I could do it all over again, I think I would get a Cnat and possibly a long F (or Bb) key. But still, I am quite happy with it.
claudine
Tell us something.: Hi, I am a choir singer from Luxembourg trying to get back to Irish flute playing after a few years of absence from ITM.

Post by claudine »

I want a lip plate to prevent an eventual contact allergy. When I got my blackwood flute, I made an allergy after a few weeks of playing. And as I have also some other allergies I thought it would be safer this time to avoid any direct contact between skin and wood, at least in the face.
Why artificial ivory? The bands of the flute will be made of that, and I think it looks pretty. There is a little artificial ivory liplate on a baroque flute that I got from Luc Verhoeven, so I like the idea of having the same look on my new irish flute. That's all.