Humidity and the Bodhran

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
Joseph E. Smith
antispam: No

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

....ouch!!! ...my tipper just shrank. :shock:
djm
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by djm »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Just mind where you're pointing that tipper of yours. :really:

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Joseph E. Smith
antispam: No

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

If I were you, I'd be even more worried where I was pointing my shrunken head skin. :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Royce

Post by Royce »

Joseph E. Smith wrote:If I were you, I'd be even more worried where I was pointing my shrunken head skin. :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Yours seems pointed to the ceiling in your avatar. Obviously Jewish.

Royce
Baglady

Post by Baglady »

Story one: At a festival session someone was trying out a drum form an instrument booth (No name used to protect the gulty) It was quite a hot and humid day (95 & 90) and the drum was obviously reacting to the conditons. Some guy grabed the drum and said, "I can fix that" and dumped some Guiness on the front of the skin. I heard no appreciable difference but he seemed satisfied with the sound. 2 or three people continued to play the drum until someone noticed that the head was beginning to thin and develop a hole. The instrument was quickly retired back to the booth it came from.

Story two: A local sessioner recently came with a new drum. It is a lovely tunable instrument. She is constantly applying water to the out side of the head and so has the tuners tightend so far down the retainer ring is starting to pull over the lip. There is speculation that the retainer ring will soon reside halfway down the shell.

Moral: Use extreme caution when applying anything to a drum head.

I always thought that a tuneable drum was ment to eliminate the need for the wetting and heating ritual?
Baglady
Put the music under thier feet and lift them to the dance.
Oh, and,
"If you want to play chords, use standard tuning. It is better." --Martin Carthy
brianc

Post by brianc »

Baglady wrote:Story one: At a festival session someone was trying out a drum form an instrument booth (No name used to protect the gulty) It was quite a hot and humid day (95 & 90) and the drum was obviously reacting to the conditons. Some guy grabed the drum and said, "I can fix that" and dumped some Guiness on the front of the skin. I heard no appreciable difference but he seemed satisfied with the sound. 2 or three people continued to play the drum until someone noticed that the head was beginning to thin and develop a hole. The instrument was quickly retired back to the booth it came from.
What a perfectly good waste of Guinness when a knife would have done the job quicker.
Jeff Stallard

Post by Jeff Stallard »

Baglady wrote:I always thought that a tuneable drum was ment to eliminate the need for the wetting and heating ritual?
Tuners affect tension. Moisture affects tension AND texture. I use mink oil on the top of my skin every few months, and it's really developing a nice, soft texture.