Thanks to All!

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
tjs
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Thanks to All!

Post by tjs »

After lurking on this board off and on for the past 6 months, I committed to a Tipple low D flute. I appreciate the flute reviews that all of you submitted. As with my first whistle, I based my purchase of the Tipple on the reviews contained in this board. Should be a good Christmas with a Burke brass Bb whistle under the tree, also.

After over 40 years of playing acoustic guitar and 20+ of electric bass, I find great satisfaction in actually playing the melody!

tom
tjs
Father Emmet

Re: Thanks to All!

Post by Father Emmet »

tjs wrote: After over 40 years of playing acoustic guitar and 20+ of electric bass, I find great satisfaction in actually playing the melody!
I know what you mean. Years ago I played bass in a cover band. I took up ITM a year ago and playing melody is quite liberating. Good luck with the flute, it's much more demanding – there's no way of faking our way through by sticking to the root!
Tipple/fipple Flutist

Tipple Flute

Post by Tipple/fipple Flutist »

You will love your Tipple! The greatest thing about them is that they do have a real Irish flute sound!
The nicest thing is that you can take them anywhere and play them anywhere without worry about the elements reeking havoc on a wood bodied flute.
I play my Eb out in the unheated garage here at the plant I work at, it was 15 degrees and the wind was blowing in the open door. I was able to play very well, I had to swab the flute often to keep it from freezing inside the body of the flute, but my fingers gave out before the flute did.
That's the beauty of it.
I just ordered the Dimpled D, I have the grey three piece with wedge and dimpled Eb, but I can't get enough of these fine flutes, and want the dimpled type before Doug runs out of the dimpled stock.
You will be amazed.
I also play Bass (Fender squire), acoustic (Fender D-10), and Electric (Telecaster). (we live way far north, only guitar dealer up here is Fender).
I can't seem to find enough instruments to play, NA Flute, Clarinet, Saxaphone, Oboe, Harmonica, Tipple (10 string ukelele).
Too bad I don't really play any of them that well, but hey, it's my life and I'm sticking to it!
Good luck with your Tipple, I garantee you will be impressed with Dougs product.
Terri :wink:
tjs

Post by tjs »

Thank you Padre and Terri,

I look forward to the experience.

Padre, from a fellow bass player to another, give them heck.

Terri, My original bass was a Fender. Loved it until my hands started to go bad from agent orange-related complications. Switched to an Ibanez SR3000 pencil neck just to keep playing. Had to give up all my guitars, to include my Martins, due to never ending trigger finger problems. That's why I started on the whistle and now the flute. No surrender, music is in my heart.

tom
tjs
mkchen

Trigger Finger was: Thanks to All!

Post by mkchen »

Tom,
As someone who is on occasion called to treat folks with trigger finger in my line of work, I'm curious - do you get it on your picking hand or your fingering hand? And which finger is most often involved? I'm guessing that you're less likely to run into problems with the flute because the fingers don't have to be flexed as tightly to hold or finger a flute as they are when holding a pick or fretting strings. Is that your experience?

Ming
tjs

Post by tjs »

Ming,

Usually it is my middle finger on both hands. However, now that I switched to the whistle, the problem disappeared.

tom
tjs
mkchen

Post by mkchen »

Tom,
Well, I'm glad your problem went away. It's sad that you had to give up the strings, though. I've seen trigger finger on every digit including the thumb. Haven't treated any musicians for this yet. BTW, I'm also a Tipple low D owner, as of last week. I've had to switch to a piper's grip on the right hand, to deal with the wider hole spacing relative to my conical bore wood flute, but I think I'm starting to settle in pretty well.

Ming
tjs

Post by tjs »

Ming,

After spending hours on this board and even more hours waiting for the post man, I look forward to enduring a very humbling experience. I don't worry about the strings, for 25 years plus I played only in Church. After 10 years of playing two masses every Sunday, and multiple on Masses on Easter, and Christmas, I was relieved to retire for medical purposes. I go to 7:00 am Mass now because there is no music. Afraid I might return if to the bass if I go to my old mMasses and friends.

tom
tjs
bang

Post by bang »

what is "trigger finger"?

tia! /dan
mkchen

Post by mkchen »

Dan,
Trigger finger is caused by inflammation of a finger flexor tendon (the "cable" your muscle pulls on to make the finger bend) where it passes through a sheath or band of connective tissue located about where your knuckle joints are, on the palm side of the hand. The inflammation can cause pain with movement, and if it's severe enough the swollen part of the tendon actually gets stuck inside the sheath, so that after you bend your finger you can't straighten it out again. Usually you have to use your other hand to pull the finger straight again. Sometimes the inflammation can actually be felt as a nodule or bump along the tendon. As you straighten the finger you can feel the tendon pop out of the sheath. Treatment consists of nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory meds first (like ibuprofen), and if that doesn't work an injection of first a local anesthetic and then a steroid usually does the trick.

Ming