Urgent question about tinwhistle "culture"

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Lost-in-North-Dakota
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Urgent question about tinwhistle "culture"

Post by Lost-in-North-Dakota »

Every group of people, even a virtual one as we have here, has a "culture." I have a question about tinwhistle culture.

How would you describe the attitude of tinwhistle players towards recorders and recorder players:

Open contempt? Slight annoyance? Bitter envy? Scorn? Mild bemusement?

The only reason I ask, is that there is a tinwhistle site, where if you click on a link, a video game opens up, where you are encouraged to destroy recorders. This suggests to me that there is an anti-recorder undertow to this culture that I need to appreciate.

I just want to make sure I understand. Thanks.

Lost

:-?
izzarina
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Urgent question about tinwhistle "culture"

Post by izzarina »

Lost-in-North-Dakota wrote: How would you describe the attitude of tinwhistle players towards recorders and recorder players
I think that putting the word "recorder" and the word "player" together in the same sentence is grounds for dismissal

:wink: :lol:
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
Lost-in-North-Dakota

izzarina wrote:

>I think that putting the word "recorder" and the word "player" together in the same sentence is grounds for dismissal<

Hmmm...this is drifting a bit towards "open contempt." Anyone else?

Lost
amar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

give us that link, dude. :D
IDAwHOa
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

Most people refer the them as R#$%#$@r players. I think that even Bodhran players are more tolerated.

That said, I know there are many openly bi-fipple players here on this forum, some that even MAKE and REPAIR them!!! :o I am certain there are even more that have not come out of the closet yet.

Why do you ask? Do you have an admission to make that we should know about? :evil:

:lol:
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
glauber

Post by glauber »

Lost-in-North-Dakota wrote:Every group of people, even a virtual one as we have here, has a "culture." I have a question about tinwhistle culture.

How would you describe the attitude of tinwhistle players towards recorders and recorder players:

Open contempt? Slight annoyance? Bitter envy? Scorn? Mild bemusement?
In most places, it's considered OK to shoot them on sight.
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

I think the dislike of tin whistle players for recorders and their wielders stems from the fact that so many people are turned off music, sometimes for life, by the medium of the recorder as abused in School.

In Ireland every child (I think - correct me if I'm mistaken guys) gets at least some musical instruction on the tin whistle, and somehow it does not leave them with a life long aversion to that instrument.

Those of us who found our way back to music in later life, despite these early and traumatic recorder-related events, are prone to flinch and develop facial ticks when our ears are assaulted with recorder-like sounds.
amar

Post by amar »

i have never played the recorder, so actually i should shut up, but alas, i won't. :D
1. Many whistle players are not too fond of the recorder because they had to learn to play them as a child, it was a lot of work, they really didn't wanna do it, but, their parents wanted them to..
2. Recorders are not a laid-back instrument, as are whistles, recorders are steril and for concert halls and for classical music, whistles are for scrubby pubs, music of the people, you don't have to and shouldn't play by notes, there is more room for individuality.
3. Recorders are expensive, whistles are cheap (even the expensive ones, relativly speaking)
4. Recorders don't look that cool either. No, honestly, that's totally objectiv. :D
5. what else..
6. i don't know.
7. a whistle is easier to learn than a recorder.
8. whistle music is cooler than recorder music

but hey, I'm just blabbering away, as i said, i've never played them things..
mvhplank

Post by mvhplank »

My sense is that much of the time the displays of "open contempt" are actually somewhat tongue-in-cheek.

I'm willing to bet that many of us started out at an early age on plastic recorders (or r*c*rd*rs, as many style it), which are simple execrable, and are usually played by barely developed elementary school musicians.

There are also lots of us who are willing to acknowledge some masters of recorder technique (I've cited Michala Petri often on these pages).

But it may be that some of us feel we've discovered a rather elite cultural art form and it's fun to poke fun at what we think doesn't measure up.

It also gives us a reason to start arguments with people who want thumb-holes and keys on whistles to expand the melodic possibilities. This seems to me like the argument of poetry versus prose--part of the fun of poetry (and whistles) is working within the defined limitations.

To me, a recorder is just another end-blown fipple flute. Cousins, even distant ones, are welcome at my table.

M
Marguerite
Gettysburg
Phil Hardy

Recorder Abuse.

Post by Phil Hardy »

YOU SAID IT!
When I was 11 ,I was ABUSED at school with being FORCED to learn the R"%&!)@~r.
I hope that teacher is rotting in hell.

Footnote,on a more calm note,I started playing the guitar at 5 years old ,by the time I had reached 11 I was quite good and could play tunes by Big Bill Broonzy,Blind Willy McTell and Lightning Hopkins etc(my uncle being a Blues Buff)
This was not tollerated as music at the starlag that I attended,the guitar was taken from me and a R"£&%@<r placed in my hand,'nuff said.
Not only that,but occasionally some anal woman turns up at the local sess and clears the room.

What we need is a R"£%&@>r free zone,like everywhere on the planet.

Phil....not that I'm biased or anything.
Will O'B
Location: The Other Side Of The Glen (i.e. A Long Way From Tipperary)

Post by Will O'B »

glauber wrote: In most places, it's considered OK to shoot them on sight.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Last edited by Will O'B on Wed Dec 01, 2004 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
So long as men can breathe, or eyes can see,
So long lives this, and this gives life to thee.

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!
Feadan

Post by Feadan »

Lost-in-North-Dakota wrote: Open contempt? Slight annoyance? Bitter envy? Scorn? Mild bemusement?
None of the above. I am a recorder player as well as whistle player. :D

Cheers,
David
Will O'B
Location: The Other Side Of The Glen (i.e. A Long Way From Tipperary)

Post by Will O'B »

I'm having a hard time getting my 11 year old son to take up the whistle. He was doing so well for a while on the whistle playing, "What do you do with a drunken sailor". Now, he claims that it confuses him when he picks up the recorder to play for his teacher at school. :-?

Personally, I was never required to play the recorder.

Will O'Ban
So long as men can breathe, or eyes can see,
So long lives this, and this gives life to thee.

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!
burnsbyrne

Post by burnsbyrne »

I agree that most of the recorder digs on C&F are meant in good fun.
however...
I went to a Catholic elementary school where there were no music classes so I was not traumatized by being required to play recorders but somewhere along the way, I think in high school, I got the impression that recorder players were a bit...well...poofy. Probably because I never heard anyone play a Marvin Gaye tune on a recorder. I can't imagine Christy Moore playing a recorder. I really have nothing against recorders. Some of my best friends play reco.... Well, no, they don't. OK, I'm done.
Mike
Lost-in-North-Dakota

Amar wrote:

>Give us that link, dude<

Go to www.thewhistleshop.com, and there is a link to a video game called "recorder blaster."

IDAwHOa wrote:

>Why do you ask? Do you have an admission to make that we should know about?<

Yes..sniff...there is a recorder quintet that plays at our church, and...sob...I think they're OK. Am I banished??

Martin wrote:

>I think the dislike of tin whistle players for recorders and their wielders stems from the fact that so many people are turned off music, sometimes for life, by the medium of the recorder as abused in School.<

I was forced to play the trombone for a year in 7th grade, so I can well identify. I can only shudder to think of everyone in my class (I went to a very small rural school), all lined up, forced to play the recorder together. There were so many wise-asses in my class, that I am sure it would have been a miserable time.

Amar wrote:

>recorders are steril and for concert halls and for classical music, whistles are for scrubby pubs, music of the people<

Yes, when the recorders at church play an old work, it really does sound nice, but very proper. However, I have also been fairly well plowed in a scrubby pub in Wexford, Ireland, while very scrubby local people played their scrubby folk instruments, and it was one of the high points of my life. I didn't want to leave.

Lost