I'm baaaack!

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Redwolf
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

I'm baaaack!

Post by Redwolf »

We're back from our Mexican Riviera cruise...tanned, relaxed and happy! I've set up a webpage with our cruise pictures here:

http://www.geocities.com/ceolfeadoige/m ... bpage.html

Unfortunately, geocities being geocities (or, as my daughter refers to it, "sh*t"), I've currently exceded my bandwidth, so it may be a few hours...or a few days...until you can see them! In the meanwhile, here are two that I thought were most relevant:

Here's me on the first formal night, playing my new Syn in our stateroom. I call this one "cruise whistle"

And here's the cruise whistle with one of my acquisitions from Cabo San Lucas...a cute little ocarina I named "Cruz." I call this one "Cruise Whistle meets Cruz Whistle" :wink:

We really had a wonderful time. I fell in love with Puerto Vallarta especially. Do visit the webpage when it calms down...I have all kinds of good pics from around the ship and from the various ports of call!

Redwolf
Last edited by Redwolf on Mon Nov 29, 2004 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
Redwolf

Post by Redwolf »

OK...not sure why the Snapfish images aren't linking. I did a "copy image location," and that's always worked before.

Redwolf
Wanderer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

Redwolf wrote:OK...not sure why the Snapfish images aren't linking. I did a "copy image location," and that's always worked before.

Redwolf
<a href="http://images.snapfish.com/34249%3A8723 ... 6ot1lsi</a>

<a href="http://images.snapfish.com/34249%3A8723 ... Aot1lsi</a>

I think bbcode couldn't recognize the complex link..so I redid it in html..here ya go
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

Well... about 8 pics loaded before it bandwidthed out on me.
Reasonable person
Walden
DCrom

Post by DCrom »

Hi, Audrey

Looks like you had a great time. We cruised the Mexican Riviera a few years back - seeing your photos makes me want to start saving pennies to do it again.

I got bandwidth-limited out when I tried to load the 3rd page, though. You mentioned liking Puerto Vallerta the most, but I never got a chance to see why.

Here's a thought: it seems that the cruise lines like to do themed interest-group cruises during the off season. Wouldn't you love a chance to go on a traditional music themed cruise? :twisted:
Redwolf

Post by Redwolf »

Grrr...doggone Geocities!

It's because I uploaded so much today...give it a few hours and it should calm down. Used to be you could upload all kinds of stuff to a Geocities site, link to it, and no worries. Now it's all bandwidth limitations. I've found that, after a day or so goes by, accessing the pages aren't a problem.

I have to say I'm totally sold on cruise vacations. We had a wonderful time on our Alaska cruise with Holland America in 2001, and this trip was wonderful too, albeit on a different cruise line and to a different venue. There's just something about being pampered as you visit interesting places that totally appeals to me!

I ended up liking Puerto Vallarta best because it seemed to epitomize the ideal tropical vacation location...kind of hard to describe, really. The climate and scenery were beautiful, the town was charming without being "fakey" or "touristy," the people were friendly...it was the kind of place I wouldn't mind living, really. I liked Mazatlan too...it had real character. Cabo San Lucas was more clearly "touristy," but it was a nice introduction to Mexico for a first-time visitor.

Redwolf
Redwolf

Post by Redwolf »

DCrom wrote:
Here's a thought: it seems that the cruise lines like to do themed interest-group cruises during the off season. Wouldn't you love a chance to go on a traditional music themed cruise? :twisted:
Yes indeed! Wouldn't that be great? "Session on the high seas!" I'd start saving for that now, if anyone wanted to try to arrange it.

I understand that Daltai.com arranges an Irish language cruise occasionally. Why not trad music?

Redwolf
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

One reason I'm not sure I'd like a sea cruise is that I don't know if I'd get seasick. Largest boat I've ridden on was a Filipino fishing boat, and I got seasick there.
Reasonable person
Walden
Redwolf

Post by Redwolf »

Walden wrote:One reason I'm not sure I'd like a sea cruise is that I don't know if I'd get seasick. Largest boat I've ridden on was a Filipino fishing boat, and I got seasick there.
It's hard to say...but they do offer patches that help with sea sickness, if it becomes a problem. I never have motion sickness problems, but I know people who do, so I can't be glib about it. Obviously, cruise ships are much bigger than fishing boats, but they do go up and down (we had some significant swell on our last night of this cruise, and my daughter got a bit seasick, though "sea bands" helped her considerably).

What you might want to do is try a short (3-4 day) cruise some time. Usually there's not a lot of "ocean motion," and the more you do it, the less likely you are to get seasick. Or do a more sheltered cruise...Alaska isn't bad, as it goes through the inside passage, where there's relatively little chop.

Here's another thought: barring a storm at sea, the worst I've encountered on a cruise is about the same as moderate turbulence in a 727. Do you have problems when you fly? If not, a cruise might not bother you at all. Fishing boats are tiny, and 10-foot swells toss them around like corks, but we had 10-foot swells on this last cruise, and all we had was a gentle up and down motion...kind of like rocking in a cradle.

Redwolf
brewerpaul

Post by brewerpaul »

Walden wrote:One reason I'm not sure I'd like a sea cruise is that I don't know if I'd get seasick. Largest boat I've ridden on was a Filipino fishing boat, and I got seasick there.
The large cruise boats are pretty stable and you'd be much less prone to seasickness
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
emmline

Post by emmline »

It's my job to pop up in all the travel threads and express envy. :wink:
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

Ditto Emmline, happy to hear and see that you had great time!

MarkB
Everybody has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.
syn whistles
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by syn whistles »

Hey, nice whistle! :wink:
So good it has to be a SYN!
Redwolf

Post by Redwolf »

syn whistles wrote:Hey, nice whistle! :wink:
It is, rather! :wink:

I actually debated between calling that pic "Cruise Whistle" or "Syn on the High Seas" :lol:

Redwolf
Jennie
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Jennie »

Gee, the cruise lines used to stop here. But I think we weren't as popular in the reviews as the places with real character. The old rainy town was picturesque, but the new rainy town (it was rebuilt after the '64 earthquake) is just... rainy. Except on days when the fog lifts and you can see where we live.

I was going to suggest an Alaska cruise with our cabin as a destination. The ships don't stop any more. But anyone who wants to stage their kayak trip from our beach is welcome!

:) Sounds like you had a great trip. I wouldn't mind that kind of travel.
Jennie