reeds for seths chanters

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
piobgirl
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

reeds for seths chanters

Post by piobgirl »

:roll: Does anyone know where I can get other reeds, besides Seth himself, that will work in Seth's chanters? Will I have to send my chanter? I want to try reeds from other sources to see how they sound. Are there any reeds out there known for their sweet, mellow sound? Thanks
brianc

Post by brianc »

Well, your question begs a few questions...

A) What do you find wrong (or unacceptable) about Seth's reeds?

B) Have you asked Seth about making a new one?

Normally, it's a good idea to send the chanter to a reedmaker, so it can be properly adjusted. This is critical especially if you don't have much experience in adjusting/tuning them.

My experience with Seth & getting reeds made was quite good. I requested that he make a reed that played very hard in his shop (I didn't send the chanter in this case). My theory was that once the reed was received in my semi-arid climate, that it would become easier to play, and that is exactly what happened - I didn't need to sand any of it at all.
piobgirl

reeds for seths sets

Post by piobgirl »

Hi Brian,
:wink: We all know that the heart and soul of the uilleann pipe is the reed. I think Seth is an excellent craftsman and am totally satisfied with my set so far, but finding the utopian reed can be a challenge, even from the pipemaker who made it himself. I will be getting more reeds from Seth, but would like to experience others, which is I think is within reason. I told him that I would be getting more reeds from him in the future. My experience and perception with the particular reed which I got from Seth is that it feels very unforgiving. It's all or nothing. It was an extremely fine adjustment I had to make to get it to play 2nd octave more easily. Any less it shuts down, any more it's difficult to get the 2nd octave or no 2nd octave at all, extremely fine. I also sensed in my perception lots of pressure. He told me it was finicky, but I found out what he meant now. I am no longer doing any sanding etc. with reeds because I have asthma and it makes my asthma worse. Therefore, I need a source of reeds, Seth included which are reliable and satisfy my need as a player.
magroibin
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by magroibin »

Having taken some reed making classes from Seth, I know that he puts a lot of effort into getting his reed design "just so". Given that, I would recommend that you ask him for some blank reed staples.

From there you can experiment with making your own reeds, or you may get someone close to you to help you. But at least then you will have the right staple so the reed will "agree" with the chanter. Good luck!
brianc

Re: reeds for seths sets

Post by brianc »

piobgirl wrote:I am no longer doing any sanding etc. with reeds because I have asthma and it makes my asthma worse.
Fair enough, PiperGirl. So you're not a one-reedmaker kind of woman, is that it? :( :)

As an aside, I have learned to use dust masks when doing any kind of woodworking. It's amazing what the nostrils will grab onto when inhaling. Highly recommended, especially when sanding where the dust is much finer & more airborne than, say, saw dust.

Nothing wrong with seeking utopia in your reeds. As for another source, I don't really have one for you, sorry.

Hmmm... the perfect reed.... that sounds more like a journey than a destination.

8)
Ted
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Ted »

If you can catch Benedict Koehler at a tionol, you may get lucky. Seth uses a fairly hard cane from what I have seen of his reeds. I am in transition and not presently making reeds as my tools are in storage. Who is making reeds available? Pat Sky, Alan Burton? Who else????

Ted
piobgirl

reeds for seths chanters

Post by piobgirl »

:wink: Thanks everyone for the input, and I'll make sure to look up the guys Ted listed, Benedict Koehler, Pat Sky and Alan Burton. This is very helpful. In addition, as I said before, I still will be using Seth's reeds too. As for the dust mask, I have a carbon filter mask for my lungs. This helps to keep out any foreign matter but does not keep me from injuring myself when I am working on something intensely, even the pipes. Your breath is used for everything from talking to walking. Thanks everyone for the advice.
glands

Post by glands »

Benedict Koehler is a wise man and a most excellent reedmaker. He will often reed chanters at tionols as part of the duties of providing a demonstration on reedmaking. I would like to think that those so "lucky" would offer to pay him for any reeds that they may acquire at the tionol.

In addition to Pat Sky you might consider Nick Whitmer.

Many have had the delight of playing reeds made by the esteemed Michael O'Donovan in LA. (That's Los Angeles....not Lower Alabama as we sometimes imply here in the south :lol: )
tompipes

Post by tompipes »

Where do you live Piobgirl?

Seth makes great chanters and are easy enough to reed so anyone with a reasonable success rate with reeds could help you out. You may even be in driving distance to someone of help.
Tommy
boyd
Tell us something.: Sets in D and B by Rogge and flute by Olwell, whistles by Burke and Goldie. I have been a member for a very long time here. Thanks for reading.

Post by boyd »

My experience and perception with the particular reed which I got from Seth is that it feels very unforgiving. It's all or nothing. It was an extremely fine adjustment I had to make to get it to play 2nd octave more easily. Any less it shuts down, any more it's difficult to get the 2nd octave or no 2nd octave at all, extremely fine. I also sensed in my perception lots of pressure.

.......a good reed needs weeks or months of regular playing to get easier. If its too easy when its new, it might end up being weak in time.

[But it is a real pain in the ass playing a stiff reed. ]

Boyd
Tony
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

boyd wrote:....
[But it is a real pain in the ass playing a stiff reed. ]

Boyd
Actually, it's a pain in the bag arm, shoulder and neck... but that's another story.
boyd
Tell us something.: Sets in D and B by Rogge and flute by Olwell, whistles by Burke and Goldie. I have been a member for a very long time here. Thanks for reading.

Post by boyd »

......you are anatomically correct, Tony.

[for most players, anyway. ]

[I suppose there may be a few out there who do, indeed, play with their arses :boggle: ]
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

boyd wrote:[I suppose there may be a few out there who do, indeed, play with their arses :boggle: ]
.....uh, did somebody just mention my name? :D
Ted
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Ted »

Michael O'Donovan makes reeds using softer cane, which can yield a darker, mellower tone. Pat Sky is using softer cane also. Benedict prefers as soft of cane as he can get.

Ted
illwinds

Post by illwinds »

I use one of Michael O'Donovan's reeds in my Gallagher chanter and prefer it to any of the ones that I got from Seth, even though it was not made specifically for my chanter. In all fairness, Seth is in upstate New York and I'm in Southern California. I suspect that if Seth were to finish, or fine tune one of his reeds in my climate, the results would be different.
Good luck!
Dave.