Ireland named best country to live in

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
lyrick
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Ireland named best country to live in

Post by lyrick »

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6529893/

From an annual survey the Economist does. Here's a quote: "Ireland wins because it successfully combines the most desirable elements of the new (the fourth highest gross domestic product per head in the world in 2005, low unemployment, political liberties) with the preservation of certain cozy elements of the old, such as stable family and community life,” the Economist survey revealed.
Love...Serve...Remember
alespa
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Music has been a part of my life for as long as I can remember. Part of what I love about celtic/folk style music is the sound of a handful of handmade instruments that remind me of simpler times.

Post by alespa »

hmmm . . . I can see how this can become a political-social thread . . . but I can see how the cultures in these countries, and the fact that the family is more at the center of importance, rather than the pursuit of wealth and fame, like it is here, well, there are some very appealing things about living abroad. But then again, the realities of following those desires is not always possible, as I have seen noted on a few threads here at C&F. I remember one of my favorite old movies, that John Wayne movie where he was an ex-boxer and moved back to Ireland. I always love watching that movie. There's something about the countryside, the simple way of life, no computers . . . . .
glauber

Post by glauber »

... "and here's a stick to beat the pretty lady with!" (The Quiet Man)
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
alespa
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Music has been a part of my life for as long as I can remember. Part of what I love about celtic/folk style music is the sound of a handful of handmade instruments that remind me of simpler times.

Post by alespa »

THAT'S IT! Glauber, I should've known to ask you first ;)

Anyone else think that was a great movie? Or is it just me? :oops:
glauber

Post by glauber »

I think that's one of the favourite movies of most people (or just Americans?) involved with Irish music, for whatever reason. I enjoyed it.
--Wellsprings--
glauber

Post by glauber »

glauber wrote:I think that's one of the favourite movies of most people (or just Americans?) involved with Irish music, for whatever reason.
Maybe we identify with John Wayne's character of the foreigner trying to make sense of a culture that's at the same time welcoming and hiding its secrets from strangers.
--Wellsprings--
glauber

Post by glauber »

glauber wrote:
glauber wrote:I think that's one of the favourite movies of most people (or just Americans?) involved with Irish music, for whatever reason.
Maybe we identify with John Wayne's character of the foreigner trying to make sense of a culture that's at the same time welcoming and hiding its secrets from strangers.
Or maybe not. Either way, i'm going home!
--Wellsprings--
Will O'B
Location: The Other Side Of The Glen (i.e. A Long Way From Tipperary)

Re: Ireland named best country to live in

Post by Will O'B »

lyrick wrote:Ireland named best country to live in
You really didn't need to post that link, Lyrick. I could have told you that Ireland is a great place. True, I only lived there for two weeks on vacation last summer, but I still loved everything about it. :)

Will O'Ban
So long as men can breathe, or eyes can see,
So long lives this, and this gives life to thee.

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!
ennistraveler

Post by ennistraveler »

I'm not surprised. I lived in Ireland for 4 months a couple of years ago, and it really was a good country to live in. I planned to move back, but then was accepted for nursing school and now I actually got a permanent job and all and I love the place I live in.
I was in County Clare just recently (last week) in holiday and it was GREAT. Visited the trad festival in Ennis, spent one day in Galway and one day touring Clare (Cliffs of Moher, Doolin, Lisdoonvarna, Kilfenora, Milltown malbay, Liscannor, etc, etc), it was a wonderful week, can't wait to get back!! (hopefully for Willie Clancy's summer school)
Brother Steve rocks!
lixnaw

Post by lixnaw »

glauber wrote:... "and here's a stick to beat the pretty lady with!" (The Quiet Man)
i missed that, but i remember this one:
"there's no locks or bolds 'round me!!" (mary kate dannaher/in the quiet man, 1952).
RonKiley

Post by RonKiley »

I love the quiet man myself. But I identify with Maureen Ohara. We visited the town of Cong 2 years ago where the movie was filmed.. It was fun but also interesting that a town was still exploiting a movie that was filmed nearly 50 years ago. I was surprised to find out how far apart the locales for some of the scenes were. I thought it would be great to live there. I still feel that way except I recognize that it is a great place for a vacation. If I lived there, where would I vacation? I also think that a person is happiest in the area where they were born. I saw a statistic that said that most people live within 50 miles of there birthplace. But I still dream about how nice it would be to live in West Kerry, West Clare or West Galway. It is nice to have dreams.

Ron, within 20 miles of his birthplace
I've never met a whistle I didn't want.
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

Well, put the word out. Hope they like tacos in Dublin.
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
DCrom

Post by DCrom »

Don't know if I could live in Ireland (barring winning the lottery) before retirement - when I was there a couple of years back my coworkers were complaining about the high-tech jobs drying up.

Within 50 miles of my birthplace? Make that about 250 miles. At least it's in the same state (even if it does feel like a different country, sometimes).

Hmm. Given the choice between living in Ireland (Cork, say) and where I was born, I'd take Ireland in a heartbeat.
feadogin

Post by feadogin »

DCrom wrote:Don't know if I could live in Ireland (barring winning the lottery) before retirement - when I was there a couple of years back my coworkers were complaining about the high-tech jobs drying up.

Within 50 miles of my birthplace? Make that about 250 miles. At least it's in the same state (even if it does feel like a different country, sometimes).

Hmm. Given the choice between living in Ireland (Cork, say) and where I was born, I'd take Ireland in a heartbeat.
Yeah, obviously that 50 miles thing does not apply to California, especially the Bay Area. I was born about 450 miles away from here, and I must say I know very few Bay Area natives.

And I may end up living in Ireland at some point, which would be fine but I think I like California better than anywhere else. It's home, after all. I was in Ireland all summer, and I really loved the sessions but the WEATHER! Brrrrr...They say you get used to it, though.

J.
Will O'B
Location: The Other Side Of The Glen (i.e. A Long Way From Tipperary)

Post by Will O'B »

feadogin wrote:I really loved the sessions but the WEATHER! Brrrrr...They say you get used to it, though.

J.
That's funny. I thought the weather was the best part. I was there late May thru mid June. But then, I don't like hot weather.

Will O'Ban
So long as men can breathe, or eyes can see,
So long lives this, and this gives life to thee.

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!