A different kind of "Tutorial"

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
GaryKelly
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

A different kind of "Tutorial"

Post by GaryKelly »

http://www.bigwhistle.co.uk/shop_result ... 5&search=1

I just received a copy of this... a DVD/CDROM/Booklet combo pack perfect for whistlers/fluters and any other beginning muso who fancies playing in a session without actually playing in a session...

What a nifty idea. On the DVD, you can pick a tune, decide whether to play along with the entire band, or eliminate one of the players and take their part. On the CDROM, you can fade out the main melody instrument and just keep the backing rhythm guitar and bodhran. You can also select a "set" and play along with that too.

The booklet contains the dots (as does the CDROM) and the following tunes are in the pack:

Jigs: Out on the ocean, the rambling pitchfork, pay the reckoning
Slip Jigs: A fig for a kiss, Willie Clancy's
Hornpipes: The Home Ruler, Kitty's Wedding
Reels: Coleman's, the Congress reel, The Virginia reel
Scottish tunes: The laird of Drumblair, St,=. Kilda wedding
Breton tunes: Marche, Ton Simpi
Song: Star of the County Down
Polkas: Ryan's, Polka#2, Paul Lander's

The band is "The Sturdy Beggars".

Really rather splendid for those who can't find a real session locally, or are nervous about playing with "live" musicians first time out (the DVD or CD doesn't care if you make a right bollix of a tune!).

I shall be trying mine out this very night, methinks.
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
IDAwHOa
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Re: A different kind of "Tutorial"

Post by IDAwHOa »

GaryKelly wrote:http://www.bigwhistle.co.uk/shop_result ... 5&search=1
and any other beginning muso who fancies playing in a session without actually playing in a session...

or eliminate one of the players and take their part.
So, would I be able to do that with my ( :boggle: GASP :o ) Bodhran as well?
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
oleorezinator
Tell us something.: I love uilleann pipes I love tin whistles I love flutes I love irish music I love concertinas I love bodhrans

Post by oleorezinator »

session lichen. as with sex i prefer mine live. oh well, whatever blows your whistle.
Information is not knowledge.
Knowledge is not wisdom.
Wisdom is not truth.
Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love.
Love is not music. Music is the best.
- Frank Zappa
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

This is entirely too cool. The description says that when you take out an instrument, the player
goes to the bar or answers a cell phone call. It seems the makers really wanted to keep a
real session feel.
I'm definately getting this when the US$ is not in the toilet.
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

oleorezinator wrote:session lichen. as with sex i prefer mine live. oh well, whatever blows your whistle.
Well, next time you're having a session in Swindon let me know, because until you do there ain't any. :roll:
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
oleorezinator
Tell us something.: I love uilleann pipes I love tin whistles I love flutes I love irish music I love concertinas I love bodhrans

Post by oleorezinator »

GaryKelly wrote:
oleorezinator wrote:session lichen. as with sex i prefer mine live. oh well, whatever blows your whistle.
Well, next time you're having a session in Swindon let me know, because until you do there ain't any. :roll:
where's the local. could you have a session there?
Knowledge is not wisdom.
Wisdom is not truth.
- Frank Zappa
amar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Re: A different kind of "Tutorial"

Post by amar »

GaryKelly wrote:http://www.bigwhistle.co.uk/shop_result ... 5&search=1

I just received a copy of this... a DVD/CDROM/Booklet combo pack perfect for whistlers/fluters and any other beginning muso who fancies playing in a session without actually playing in a session...

What a nifty idea. On the DVD, you can pick a tune, decide whether to play along with the entire band, or eliminate one of the players and take their part. On the CDROM, you can fade out the main melody instrument and just keep the backing rhythm guitar and bodhran. You can also select a "set" and play along with that too.

The booklet contains the dots (as does the CDROM) and the following tunes are in the pack:

Jigs: Out on the ocean, the rambling pitchfork, pay the reckoning
Slip Jigs: A fig for a kiss, Willie Clancy's
Hornpipes: The Home Ruler, Kitty's Wedding
Reels: Coleman's, the Congress reel, The Virginia reel
Scottish tunes: The laird of Drumblair, St,=. Kilda wedding
Breton tunes: Marche, Ton Simpi
Song: Star of the County Down
Polkas: Ryan's, Polka#2, Paul Lander's

The band is "The Sturdy Beggars".

Really rather splendid for those who can't find a real session locally, or are nervous about playing with "live" musicians first time out (the DVD or CD doesn't care if you make a right bollix of a tune!).

I shall be trying mine out this very night, methinks.
sound real cool. :)
lesl
Tell us something.: Hello, I'm Lesl, I teach and play Irish flute. Just updating my web address. Thank you for reading this!

Post by lesl »

What a great idea! Me and my husband used to play along with the BBC
"session" when we couldn't carry a tune between us - this sounds even
better.

In fact - I'd love to have something like that to practice my tunes with.
More interesting than solo at home. Too bad you can't punch in your own
tunes. I don't think it would replace a session. It sounds like a really fun
way to practice.

Gary does it say who the players are?

Lesl
emmline

Post by emmline »

I, actually, am very very tempted. But I'll grant that certain things are best in person.
oleorezinator

Post by oleorezinator »

emmline wrote:
I, actually, am very very tempted. But I'll grant that certain things are best in person.
yea verily.
Knowledge is not wisdom.
Wisdom is not truth.
- Frank Zappa
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

oleorezinator wrote:where's the local. could you have a session there?
oleorezinator wrote:
emmline wrote:
yea verily.
Which bit of all this are you having such trouble grasping, oleo?
Which bit of all this makes you feel obliged to troll in such fashion?

My local is five minutes away. It's a sports bar, big TVs, lots of football, no music. If I sit there in the corner on my own playing a whistle, does that qualify as a "session" according to you? I don't think so.

See, the whole point of this tutor pack thing is to allow folks to play (or indeed practice) with other musicians when there aren't any other musicians to play or practice with. And also for novices to practice and build up their skills without embarrassment and without upsetting "live" players. Later, with skills and confidence bolstered, IF there are real live sessions nearby, it won't be so daunting for them to attend.
jkrazy52

Post by jkrazy52 »

This sounds great, Gary! As far as I know there's not a session within a 3-hour drive here. Plus, given some comments on acceptable session behavior, I'm not real sure I'm missing much by not having any near. :wink: Thanks for the link - it's definitely worth a look in my book.

~Judy
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

lesl wrote:Gary does it say who the players are?
Seamus Curley - Vocals,guitar,mandola,
Mat Walklate - Whistles/harmonicas/flutes,
Anthony Haller - Double bass.

I can't remember who the lady fiddle player is (but note to Amar, she's fit!) and I didn't pay much attention to the bodhran player :)

Oh, and there's a downloadable trial version of the CDROM here (beware, it's a big file, 30MB):

http://www.noexcusesguides.com/
CHIFF FIPPLE

Post by CHIFF FIPPLE »

Gary its a great way to practise, don't worry about the twats that are negative,
session lichen. as with sex i prefer mine live. oh well, whatever blows your whistle.
I bet you will find a few ifie mags around his place too :lol: Image
I will get one off Phill next time I talk to him, thanks for the tip.Image
ImageStacey has the most bodacious fipples! & Message board
http://whistlenstrings.invisionzone.com ... t=0&p=3303&
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

The lady fiddler is Anna Esslemont.

I downloaded the trial CDROM version to see what the limitations of the demo are, and it does have a downside... the individual tunes are disabled, but the full set of Reels and Polkas is functional (and Norcal, yes, you can fade down the bodhran and replace that). Most people will probably just fade down the bodhran player anyway. :twisted:

Of course, it is a limited 'trial' version after all. And it's not the DVD, where you get to see the band playing (and replace the various players). But it does give you a good idea of what's on the CD and how to use it.

Note to our US friends... the DVD is in PAL format, which'll be fine on PCs fitted with DVD rom drives but I can't see an NTSC version on their website.

The DVD can be bought separately as well, apparently:
http://www.noexcusesguides.com/11celticjam.htm

And the tunebook that comes with the pack can be downloaded free from that page too.