Preferred Whistles

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
cowtime
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by cowtime »

Most often my Burke Brass Pro Sessions high D.

Next is my old green top brass Generation C.

The others on the odd occasion, like if I need a specific key because I'm playing with someone else.
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
jsluder
antispam: No

Post by jsluder »

I won't know for sure for a couple more months, but I suspect my preferred whistle will be the one I recently ordered. At the moment, I mostly play my Busman bird's-eye maple high D, followed closely by my Busman Delrin high D.

Cheers,
John
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
gonzo914

Post by gonzo914 »

Favorite whistle for scratching those hard to reach places on my back -- Woodstock/Meg C. It's just enough longer than a D that it reaches everywhere.

Favorite whistle to use as a Kubaton -- Susato tunable D

Favorite whistle to use as a support for a pothos plant -- Walton's Guinness whistle. It's aluminum, so it won't rust when you water the plant. Works equally well with a sweet tater.

Favorite whistle to hold open the window with the broken sash weights --Generation D

Favorite whistle to play -- Dixon D nontunable, but I do have a tunable one in the remote event I actually end up playing with someone.
Crazy for the blue white and red
Crazy for the blue white and red
And yellow fringe
Crazy for the blue white red and yellow
sage

Post by sage »

A Two-Part Clare "D" with a tweaked Gen Red-Top Fipple goes with me wherever I go.
NicoMoreno
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I just wanted to update my location... 100 characters is a lot and I don't really want to type so much just to edit my profile...

Post by NicoMoreno »

Walton's Mellow D

Joe Kennedy D (in wood!!!)
RamblDoc

My preferreds

Post by RamblDoc »

Burke Enat brass black-tip - -
I reach for this first nowadays for practice, trying something new, just for pleasure. Easy to play, low breath demand, the purest cleanest tone, and fairly quiet. Lightening fast response.

Eflat Gen nickel (1984 vintage) had been my favorite practice whistle for years. Different and better than the new models. The old vintage has smaller finger holes and a smaller window; not surprisingly it's quieter. Very forgiving, very easy to play, no annoying buzzes, no squeaks, no errors. I don't seem to make many mistakes when I play this instrument compared to some others.

B-flat/A Water Weasel - -
for airs, and other pieces which call for the mezzo range.

Burke D brass Session - - for performances, gigs in keys of D & G, etc. Also for sessions.
BEC

Post by BEC »

I reach for my Syn set first (E down to A) unless I need a key not covered by the set or more volume from Bb or A.
lixnaw

Post by lixnaw »

a tweaked sweetone and a copeland sterling silver low D :D
Last edited by lixnaw on Thu Jan 27, 2005 4:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
sweetone

Post by sweetone »

Hello all,
long time no see
my favourite still is my bloodwood Thin Weasel by Glenn Schultz, but a very cheap Sweetone still does the work too.

Cheers
Erik
Listen, play and have fun!
Joe_Atlanta

Post by Joe_Atlanta »

Hoover pvc Bb. Nice, quiet sweet tone through both octaves. Expressive for airs, quick enough for my "fast" tunes (which are not very fast).

I work odd hours and the main thing is that I can practice anytime with it and not disturb my household or hurt my own ears during upper register work. After working out a tune I'll switch to my tweaked Perri to play along with the Whistle Shop's slow session recordings, or to a low whistle for ballads.
buddhu

Post by buddhu »

Most played:

Dixon ABS/Aluminium D with brass tuning slide. Sounds great, feels great, but clogs a tiny bit. Mine currently has a Susato thumbrest on it.

Feadog nickel D and C

Generation nickel D tube with the mouthpiece from a Gen Eb. The Eb mouthpieces sound *much* clearer and sweeter than the D ones.

Soodlum 2-piece D tube with Gen Eb mouthpiece. Lives in my pocket and goes everywhere.

Least played:

Clarke original, Waltons, Clare, Susato...
And whether the blood be highland, lowland or no.
And whether the skin be black or white as the snow.
Of kith and of kin we are one, be it right, be it wrong.
As long as our hearts beat true to the lilt of a song.
bjs

Post by bjs »

For anything without a slow Cnat:
Burke D Brass Pro Narrow Bore

For classical and sweet clear sounding:
Rose

And most recently;
O'Brien copper with three barrels. Eb for outdoors and Bb for um well anything not too fast. Don't use the D barrel much - got plenty D choices.

BTW both Eb and Bb sound good to me. Would a low D barrel work too? i might try to make one to fit. are the barrels standard 14 mil coper plumbing pipe? i mean UK standard here. The other size is 22mil.

Brian
amar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

i usually only play the low keys, like D and F.
most of the time i play my Burke lowD AL EZ, but i'm moving more towards my NR Chieftain, it's louder, a different character in the sound too that i enjoy. And then, I will be playing my Goldie-Overton lowD, as soon as it comes.....

did you hear that Colin?
:D
Tres

Post by Tres »

The whistle I always reach for first is my "Oakenstein" (Oak D head with sticky tack tweak on Generation brass D body). Its an easy playing, always dependable, great sounding whistle. Definitely has that "sound".

Next would be my Burke narrow bore brass pro D-- sounds alot like my Oakenstein, but a little fancier, if that makes any sense. ???

Tres
Heddy

Post by Heddy »

Hello Fellow Whistlers,

My very first whistle was a D Perri, which my parents bought me for Christmas one year. It is my absolute favourite whistle. Only thing is, I'm afraid to take it to gigs for fear it gets hurt again. An ex-boyfriend once stepped on it with his stupid red converse shoes and squashed the middle flat (I'm sure you'll agree that he is better off as an ex!). My dad sat for hours with a pen and managed to work it mostly back into shape, but I'm now overprotective of my wee fragile whistle. Why, oh why, did they stop making the Perri??? :sniffle:

I also have an Oak that plays quite nicely.

Hed.