Hobgoblin Uilleann Practice Pipes

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
reedman
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by reedman »

I like tompipes description of Hobgoblin practice sets, a man of my own heart, could not have put it better. :really: :D
There's those who know,
and there's those who think they know,
and there's those who just have'nt got a fecking Clue.
Royce

Post by Royce »

Jay-eye wrote:
gandalfouille wrote:You can go to see Marcus Coulter. He is in Birmingham. Nick
Hold on a minute Nick... His practice sets are £800! We've taken a bit of a jump there!

I didn't know he existed though, so thanks for the info.

What you said about 2nd hand was interesting, Boyd.

j.i.
Check on BC Childress' website. He's in Maine US, but again you have the exchange rate and a plain-Jane starter set ought to be not only cheap, but good and you can add onto it later.
Joseph E. Smith
antispam: No

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Jay-eye wrote:
Hold on a minute Nick... His practice sets are £800! We've taken a bit of a jump there!
Unfortunately, Jay, these things are expensive. But if it is your desire to be an Uilleann piper, they are worth the price. Think of it more along the lines of an investment. If, for some reason, you discover that the UPs are not for you, they can always be sold for the price that you payed for them...they do not depreciate in value... that is, if they're a good set made by a reputable maker. :D
Jay-eye
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Jay-eye »

Joseph E. Smith wrote: Unfortunately, Jay, these things are expensive. But if it is your desire to be an Uilleann piper, they are worth the price. . :D
Good point, Joseph. But if I can buy a 2nd hand set right now and see how I take to them rather then wait 6 months or more just so I can buy a new set.... why wait? So long as my 'previously cherished' pipes are good quality and aren't going to place obstacles in my path to learning to play them I won't mind if they aren't quite as shiny as some other fellah's. Matter of fact, I guess I might prefer it.

Yeah I'd like to. I gave him a call. He reckons we might be able to meet up around february!

It's all good stuff though, guys, thanks. Keep it coming. I'd be really interested to talk to any pipers in or around Birmingham, UK, or anywhere round about the midlands.

j.i.
Tóg go bog é, dude.....

j.i.
Joseph E. Smith

...nothing wrong with a second hand set whatsoever. I should have made the distinction between a quality set and one of 'ill repute'. :D
m coulter
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by m coulter »

Yeah I'd like to. I gave him a call. He reckons we might be able to meet up around february!
Just to clarify things Jon -the next Birmingham pipers club day will be in febuary.

As mentioned on the phone I'll mail you the numbers of the other pipers I know in the area, let you know of any second hand sets I hear about and offer advise on any you may find.

Marcus.
Jay-eye

Post by Jay-eye »

Thank you, Marcus.

I really appreciate your help.

j.i.
Tóg go bog é, dude.....

j.i.
Jay-eye

Post by Jay-eye »

Well, guys..... I got my practice set!!! :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

A real nice plastic job from Hobgoblin. It's shiny!

No - only kidding.

Thanks to the kind assistance of a fellow forum member who acted as introducer I've been able to buy a lovely practice set from a chap up in Scotland who was moving on to other things. Made by Charles Roberts and with a lovely wood (ebony and boxwood?) chanter they're (it's?) the bee's knees.

It arrived in the post on Tuesday and a local piper that Marcus Coulter kindly put me in touch with came round last night and gave them the once over. He made them sound great, of course, confirmed that I'd done the right thing and he was able to tweak the reed and stuff to make the second octave a little easier for a beginner to play (I guess these things are relative, right?). I've got the Heather Clarke tutor but it was great to have him there to correct my position with the bag and stuff and make sure I'm starting off the right way. Today I've changed the bellows pipe for one about an inch or so longer (no chance of losing weight this side of Xmas) which has made me far more comfortable and that's also cured a bit of an air leak I was experiencing.

I'm suffering from a weak left arm - you guys know I've never used those muscles before - but I've well and truly got the bug.

My first tune was one of my own compositions I choose to entitle, "Stabbing the Cat" complete with appropriate sound effects. My daughter told me she thought the cat in question must have a terrible flatulence problem! She reckoned there was a realistic nasty smell too - although I have a sneaky suspicion that may have been nervous farting on the part of the composer/performer!

Seriously now, I've taken to playing 'My Lily' a la Aly Bain 'coz I can do that as it's mostly first octave. I get bored easily with scales and arpeggios so I'm just playing tunes over and over, often extremely slowly, trying to get a smooth note/tone/action/pump.... you know the score. I'm getting better at the second octave but it's still elusive at times and I struggle to keep the chanter on my leg - but it's early days, I guess. I definitely find the reed takes a few minutes to 'warm up' - is that normal?

Not wanting to stir up old wounds, but if anyone has a current email or phone number for Charles Roberts or his son I'd be pleased to hear of it (via pm?).

So thanks to all involved for your wise counsel, encouragement, help, etc. There's a new member of the club - and I'm lovin' it! :party:

j.i.
Tóg go bog é, dude.....

j.i.
Joseph E. Smith

Congratulations J.I., and good on you! :)
Luke Nieuwsma

dd

Post by Luke Nieuwsma »

David Daye is totally worth the money, man. He can make reliable reeds for any climate in the country, too.
rolling through the music
fel bautista
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fel bautista »

welcome to the dark side, young luke ;-)
Luke Nieuwsma

skywalker pipes

Post by Luke Nieuwsma »

Starwars has so ruined life for me. Everywhere I go, people say, "Hi, I'm you're father [snicker snicker]." "Use the force, Luke. Bwa-hahahahahahahaha!" There's no escaping it. Even if I became a famous uilleann pipe player (fat chance - infamous is more like it), people would still give me that.
Imagine a concert. "Would you please welcome uilleann piper Luke Skywalker, um, I mean, Nieuwsma." Sheesh. Will there never be reform in the world? :sniffle: At least my name isn't Anakin.
Jay-eye

Re: skywalker pipes

Post by Jay-eye »

Luke Nieuwsma wrote:Starwars has so ruined life for me.
Your safe with me, dude. Never seen the film - hated the sig tune - never fantasised about princess wotsit - don't choobacca!

I bet when you play the pipes you've got a coolhand though, eh?....eh?

sorry dude. :lol:
j.i.
Tóg go bog é, dude.....

j.i.
Joseph E. Smith

Re: skywalker pipes

Jay-eye wrote:I bet when you play the pipes you've got a coolhand though, eh?....eh?
...evil, simply evil. :D
Luke Nieuwsma

Post by Luke Nieuwsma »

Jay-eye: I'm gonna sue you for abuse of people named luke till your sole posession is your pipes. Then i'm gonna have you put in jail and sit in front of you painstakingly breaking your reeds one at a time. Then I'll show you videos of fiddleplayers dashing your pipes against the rocks. That alone can be sufficient punishment for making a joke about cool-handed lukes.