Things I like about the tin whistle

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Belcatar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Belcatar »

Well, I can't exactly express reasons for liking the whistle, since I haven't gotten mine yet, but I can say that I like the idea of the whistle...I want to be able to hike out into the woods and play music in a way that complements the sounds of nature, instead of covering over them. It just seems like a neat thing to be able to play music just for yourself, and the whistle (hopefully) will be a way I can do that!
StewySmoot

Post by StewySmoot »

It's fun to play
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

Being laid up, I spend inordinate amounts of time with my leg up in the easy chair. When the power cord for the laptop falls off the couch and out of reach, the Gen Bflat is the perfect length to reach out and flick it up where I can grab it. The low D is the right length to snag my cast boot and haul it within reach, and the A reaches from the kitchen table to close the refrigerator.
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

On 2002-03-25 19:42, Belcatar wrote:
I want to be able to hike out into the woods and play music in a way that complements the sounds of nature, instead of covering over them. It just seems like a neat thing to be able to play music just for yourself, and the whistle (hopefully) will be a way I can do that!
Ditto to that! I do a lot of my whistling while on long country walks - the pianoforte is a little awkward for this.

Just be aware that that haunting sound carries further than you might think outdoors. I was practising while walking in Dorset, and a few minutes later met a family who thought the wood was the abode of Pixies; they'd heard them whistling! And watch out for curious cows too!
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that schwing
StewySmoot

Post by StewySmoot »

What about as a back-scratcher? I like the Generation B-flat, but was considering a Susato.
mgwhitehead

Post by mgwhitehead »

I can play it . . . sort of.

Whitey
~. . . . . .
Jim W

Post by Jim W »

Already said before - the diatonic nature of the whistle is great for forming melodies without concern of hitting a note not in the scale. This, in turn, fosters creativity, which is not limited to playing the whistle; as evidence, I present (in my first-ever attempt at inserting a quote):
The low D is the right length to snag my cast boot and haul it within reach

I will reiterate also the ease of transporting, assembly (if any is required), and caring for the instrument, no reeds (I also play saxophone and clarinet), that haunting sound, and the fact that I can acquire a small stable of good quality whistles for less than the price of one middle-quality used saxophone.

I believe that there is also something elemental / ancient about the sound, and that it takes us into a different realm that is much less busy and distracting. As such, I am liking whistle more and more as I seek to
Praise Him with the tambourine and dancing;
praise Him with stringed instruments and flutes!
Bloomfield
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Bloomfield »

What do I like about the whistle? Chiff & Fipple.
BrassBlower
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by BrassBlower »

What I like about the whistle:

IrTrad, ScotTrad, ScanTrad, Folk, Rock & Roll, Hymns, Praise Music - it sounds great in all of 'em!