Low Whistle Tutorials

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Phil Hardy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Low Whistle Tutorials

Post by Phil Hardy »

Hi guys,as promised many months ago I have just got around to filming some beginners tips for playing the low whistle.

The clips are not high tech but will give ,I hope , the beginner the basics to watch and follow.

I'll add to them on a regular basis and hopefully this will give you all the techniques that I have for playing.

I'll also try and persuade some pro players to contribute as well.
You'll find the first clip in the MOVIES section under TUTORIAL at www.kerrywhistles.com

These tutorials are good for most makes of low whistles.

I hope this helps get some of you off the starting blocks.

Good luck and be patient.

Phil.

ps,I'd be very happy to receive any ideas or feed back,you can either post here or send me and email at phil@kerrywhistles.com
Every little helps.
Last edited by Phil Hardy on Mon Nov 08, 2004 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Will O'B
Location: The Other Side Of The Glen (i.e. A Long Way From Tipperary)

Post by Will O'B »

For some reason, I can't get any of the movies on the site to play. I installed flash player, but when I click on the movie link, nothing happens. :-?

Will O'Ban
So long as men can breathe, or eyes can see,
So long lives this, and this gives life to thee.

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!
dubhlinn
antispam: No

Post by dubhlinn »

Will O'B wrote:For some reason, I can't get any of the movies on the site to play. I installed flash player, but when I click on the movie link, nothing happens. :-?

Will O'Ban
Same here,

Slan,
D.
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
Phil Hardy

Re:TUTORIAL

Post by Phil Hardy »

Hi guys ,you won't need FLASH for this stuff only WINDOWS MEDIA PLAYER which is downloadable from the frontpage of the MOVIES section.
I have checked it and it works just fine.
Phil.
Azalin
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Azalin »

You'll need highspeed and even then it's going to take a while to start playing. Don't forget to press on the "play" button :-)
IDAwHOa
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

Being media player files, you SHOULD be able to download them for later playback as well!!! :D

Thanks here too Phil.
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
alespa
Tell us something.: Music has been a part of my life for as long as I can remember. Part of what I love about celtic/folk style music is the sound of a handful of handmade instruments that remind me of simpler times.

Post by alespa »

I had no problem getting the files to play. On my computer, they are quicktime files . . .

matt
dapple

Post by dapple »

Phil - I have tried on my computer at home, my computer at work, and my parent's computer in Florida, and I haven't been able to see any of the movies on your site. Last Spring I e-mailed Marco, and he wasn't able to help me. I would appreciate any suggestion. Thanks.
~ David
Jeferson

Post by Jeferson »

dapple wrote:I have tried on my computer at home, my computer at work, and my parent's computer in Florida, and I haven't been able to see any of the movies on your site. Last Spring I e-mailed Marco, and he wasn't able to help me. I would appreciate any suggestion. Thanks.
Feel free to drop by my place in Canada. Works here. :)

Jef
alespa
Tell us something.: Music has been a part of my life for as long as I can remember. Part of what I love about celtic/folk style music is the sound of a handful of handmade instruments that remind me of simpler times.

Post by alespa »

Hey dapple,

The thought just hit me <ouch> that it would be cool if the walrus in your avatar had whistles instead of tusks??

BTW, the movies come out as quicktime movies on my mac. I can also get realaudio and windowmediaplayer movies as well. I would think, no matter the platform, that as long as you had a media player downloaded, it should work. The only other thought, is to go to your preference panel and trash your cache, or empty it, however your browser terms it. Sometimes, a browser will insist on using an older image file that it has downloaded, and thus causing a problem.

I hope that helps. Those movie files are great!

matt
Mustafva

Post by Mustafva »

I didn't have any problems with the movie. I think the tutorial was nice, well done!
dapple

Post by dapple »

Jef – Thanks very much for the invitation. Next time I head your way, I will let you know.

Matt – Earlier this year, I corresponded with Phil’s tech support person, Marco. Marco had me download QuickTime (which I already had), but that didn’t help. I have had QuickTime, Media Player, and Real Player and have never had a problem playing any other movie. Since so many people have no such problem, I suppose that the problem is with my two-year-old Dell, but I don’t know what that problem might be, and I’m disappointed that I can’t see anything on Phil’s site. I have read that Phil has perhaps the best whistle site on the internet. But I can’t even see the whistles when I click on a key on the products page.

Great idea about the whistle tusks, Matt. I wish I knew enough to create it.
Last edited by dapple on Mon Nov 08, 2004 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~ David
alespa

Post by alespa »

I will play around with the idea, and if it looks okay, I'll send it to you.
dapple

Post by dapple »

Very cool. Thank you, Matt.
~ David
dapple

Post by dapple »

Outstanding, Matt. Thank you very much for the tone holes. Dual whistles are a challenge for a beginner like me, but I think that I'm up to it. And since they're my own tusks, PETA shouldn't care.
~ David